The Presidency of Newt Gingrich
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:00:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Presidency of Newt Gingrich
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: The Presidency of Newt Gingrich  (Read 7833 times)
NHI
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 10:56:41 PM »

Great update!
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 03:54:13 PM »

SUPER TUESDAY
March 7, 2000

The second coming of Reagan. A man with loose morals and a quick mouth. A candidate in a league of his own. Gingrich has been called a lot things leading up to the Super Tuesday primary. Gingrich rallied with Gov. George Pataki in New York, with businessman Donald Trump in Connecticut. He won big endorsements with Rep. Virgil Goode of Virginia and California State Treas. Matt Fong. Gingrich held town hall events with Alan Keyes in Maryland, and won the support of fishermen associations in Maine. Slowly, but surely, Gingrich was reshaping the face of the GOP. The brash, the scrappy, the outspoken began to supplant the careful, the cautious, the country club flavor of the GOP of the past decades. And if there were any doubt that Newt Gingrich was the clear frontrunner for the Republican nomination in 2000, Super Tuesday proved that the controversial House Speaker was more than a fluke.

CALIFORNIA PRIMARY
Newt Gingrich       53%   WINNER
George W. Bush     45%

CONNECTICUT PRIMARY
George W. Bush     50% WINNER
Newt Gingrich       48%

GEORGIA PRIMARY
Newt Gingrich       70% WINNER
George W. Bush     30%

MAINE PRIMARY
Newt Gingrich        49.9% WINNER
George W. Bush     49.2%

MARYLAND PRIMARY
Newt Gingrich        63%  WINNER
George W. Bush     35%

MASSACHUSETTS PRIMARY
Newt Gingrich        49.98% WINNER
George W. Bush     49.55%

MINNESOTA CAUCUSES
Newt Gingrich         66%  WINNER
George W. Bush      33%

MISSOURI PRIMARY
Newt Gingrich         58%  WINNER
George W. Bush      39%

NEW YORK PRIMARY
Newt Gingrich      53% WINNER
George W. Bush   43%

OHIO PRIMARY
Newt Gingrich       54% WINNER
George W. Bush    44%

RHODE ISLAND PRIMARY
Newt Gingrich        51% WINNER
George W. Bush     46%

VERMONT PRIMARY
George W. Bush     52% WINNER
Newt Gingrich        43%

WASHINGTON CAUCUS
Newt Gingrich        64% WINNER
George W. Bush     36%

In his victory speech in Ohio that night, Gingrich thanked Bush for "putting up a strong fight," but called on Bush and his family to "come together in support of conservative unity against the corrupted Clinton machine." Gingrich and his wife, Callista, along with his two daughters, beamed on stage in awe of the magnitude of the evening. Gingrich won from California to Missouri, from Maine to Georgia.

Meanwhile, at a rally in Florida, Gov. George W. Bush, along with his brother Jeb, Florida's governor, acknowledged the tough defeat of that night but vowed to move forward. In private, brother Jeb was in hysterics. Aides tell varying stories but they all essentially go like this: Jeb confronted George in his Miami hotel room. He pushed a hotel lamp off a table at his brother, George. Jeb, normally mild-mannered, through grating teeth, yelled, "if you lose Florida, I'm f@cked. I'm f@cked. I'm simply f@cked. One of Newt's goons will primary me. Do you understand? I won't even win renomination." Gov. Jeb Bush's wife, Columba, was crying outside of the hotel room, worried that her brother in law's crushing defeat that night, and possibly in the future in Florida, would crush her husband's dreams."

That night, Laura Bush turned to her husband, George and said: "Enough. Let's go home. Let Newt deal with Gore. Let him lose all the states. They'll love you in 01."

UP NEXT: Will George W. Bush drop out? Or will he stay the course?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 05:12:32 PM »

Gingrich/Pataki or Gingrich/Danforth are tickets I would consider voting for.
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 09:31:46 PM »

Great TL!!!
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2017, 04:02:56 PM »

"We Don't Have a Path to Victory, But We Have a Mission"
March 8, 2000

In a teary address to supporters in Austin, Texas, Gov. George W. Bush announced that he would "suspend any and all campaign activities" effectively making former House Speaker Newt Gingrich the Republican nominee. For much of 1999 and 2000, the Texas governor was the prohibitive frontrunner for the Republican nomination. Bush's concession and campaign suspension comes after devastating losses once voting went underway.

In his concession speech, Bush did not specifically endorse Gingrich but offered him "warm wishes and success" on the campaign trail.

Meanwhile, Gingrich, at a campaign rally in Pittsburgh, PA, Gingrich thanked Bush for his "contribution to the race," and urged the Republican Party to move on in the interest of unity and defeating the "Clinton Gore corruption machine."

UP NEXT: Gingrich Vice Presidential Speculation
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2017, 10:35:59 PM »

Loving this TL
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2017, 10:39:48 PM »

I see Gingrich pull a stunner and ends up picking Bush.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2017, 09:03:32 PM »

VEEPSTAKES
Spring and Summer 2000

Where Gingrich hit a stride in the primaries, he hit a slump after becoming the presumptive Republican nominee. He spent much of the spring consistently behind Gore between 7 and 12 points nationally, and losing ground fast in reliable Republican states like Virginia and swing states like New Hampshire and New Mexico. Gingrich pigeonholed much of the GOP establishment with his bold policy platform. Some of these policy pronouncements include:

1. Partial privatization of Social Security and Medicare
2. Funding incentives for cities and states that push the creation and semi-privatization of charter schools.
3. Mandatory minimum sentences for drug crimes and other federal crimes.
4. Privatization of student loan and small business loan programs and elimination of "redundant, unnecessary, and welfare-state programs."
5. Creation of a Domestic Energy Administration within the Department of Energy focusing on procuring domestic energy spots across the country.

Gore framed these stances, and many others, as medicine too tough to swallow for millions of Americans struggling. Still, Gingrich stood firm in his principles. He knew that his campaign needed another moment of shine. That would come from the vice presidential campaign announcement. Gingrich aides leaked a "long short list" of names being considered for the VP nomination in no particular order.

Rep. John Kasich (R-OH): The House Budget Committee Chair, Kasich stayed neutral during the primary and supports much of Gingrich's economic agenda especially as it relates to balancing the budget.

Gov. John Engler (R-MI)Sad Uncharismatic and wonkish, the Michigan governor has enacted tough welfare reform and is a top prospect for a position in the Gingrich administration.

Sen. Richard Lugar (R-IN)Sad Sen. Lugar could provide foreign policy bona fides to Gingrich's campaign. But rumors are swirling that Lugar does not like Gingrich may run in 2004 if Gingrich does not win and would rather not be tainted by a failed presidential campaign.

Businessman Donald Trump (R-NY): The wily billionaire from New York would be a wildcard pick. He recently married his wife Melania and re-registered as a Republican. Many are concerned that he could irritate the base, however.

Rep. J.C. Watts (R-OK)Sad Gingrich has stumped on the trail with the Congressman from Oklahoma who could add racial diversity to the ticket. But Gingrich is wary of the criticism that he does not have executive chops and is said to be looking for someone with a stronger portfolio.

Gov. Tommy Thompson (R-WI): Gingrich often praises the Wisconsin governor for his slashing of welfare rolls and creation of charter vouchers.

Gov. George Pataki (R-NY): Several GOP senators privately urged Gingrich to select Gov. Pataki after Mayor Giuliani dropped out from a Senate race against First Lady Hillary Clinton due to health reasons. They feel that Pataki will add balance and could block her from the Senate seat.

Gen. Colin Powell: Gingrich recently added the general to his foreign policy advisory, but Powell has not seemed inclined to join a ticket, instead preferring a cabinet role.

Gov. Jeb Bush (R-FL)Sad Adding George W. Bush's brother to the ticket could add a popular swing state governor and soothe Bush family wounds surrounding the primary. Still, in private, Gingrich tells confidants that he loathes "the Bushes."

Carly Fiorina (R-CA)Sad The Hewlett-Packard CEO has only been the top woman in charge for over a year, but Gingrich is impressed with her business and political acumen. Fiorina is the first woman to lead a Top 20 company.

Someone else: Gingrich has suggested he could offer a surprise pick.

Who do you think/want Gingrich to choose?
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2017, 09:12:27 PM »

VEEPSTAKES
Spring and Summer 2000

Where Gingrich hit a stride in the primaries, he hit a slump after becoming the presumptive Republican nominee. He spent much of the spring consistently behind Gore between 7 and 12 points nationally, and losing ground fast in reliable Republican states like Virginia and swing states like New Hampshire and New Mexico. Gingrich pigeonholed much of the GOP establishment with his bold policy platform. Some of these policy pronouncements include:

2. Funding incentives for cities and states that push the creation and semi-privatization of charter schools.
4. Privatization of student loan and small business loan programs and elimination of "redundant, unnecessary, and welfare-state programs."
5. Creation of a Domestic Energy Administration within the Department of Energy focusing on procuring domestic energy spots across the country.

Gore framed these stances, and many others, as medicine too tough to swallow for millions of Americans struggling. Still, Gingrich stood firm in his principles. He knew that his campaign needed another moment of shine. That would come from the vice presidential campaign announcement. Gingrich aides leaked a "long short list" of names being considered for the VP nomination in no particular order.

Rep. John Kasich (R-OH): The House Budget Committee Chair, Kasich stayed neutral during the primary and supports much of Gingrich's economic agenda especially as it relates to balancing the budget.

Gov. John Engler (R-MI)Sad Uncharismatic and wonkish, the Michigan governor has enacted tough welfare reform and is a top prospect for a position in the Gingrich administration.

Sen. Richard Lugar (R-IN)Sad Sen. Lugar could provide foreign policy bona fides to Gingrich's campaign. But rumors are swirling that Lugar does not like Gingrich may run in 2004 if Gingrich does not win and would rather not be tainted by a failed presidential campaign.

Businessman Donald Trump (R-NY): The wily billionaire from New York would be a wildcard pick. He recently married his wife Melania and re-registered as a Republican. Many are concerned that he could irritate the base, however.

Rep. J.C. Watts (R-OK)Sad Gingrich has stumped on the trail with the Congressman from Oklahoma who could add racial diversity to the ticket. But Gingrich is wary of the criticism that he does not have executive chops and is said to be looking for someone with a stronger portfolio.

Gov. Tommy Thompson (R-WI): Gingrich often praises the Wisconsin governor for his slashing of welfare rolls and creation of charter vouchers.

Gov. George Pataki (R-NY): Several GOP senators privately urged Gingrich to select Gov. Pataki after Mayor Giuliani dropped out from a Senate race against First Lady Hillary Clinton due to health reasons. They feel that Pataki will add balance and could block her from the Senate seat.

Gen. Colin Powell: Gingrich recently added the general to his foreign policy advisory, but Powell has not seemed inclined to join a ticket, instead preferring a cabinet role.

Gov. Jeb Bush (R-FL)Sad Adding George W. Bush's brother to the ticket could add a popular swing state governor and soothe Bush family wounds surrounding the primary. Still, in private, Gingrich tells confidants that he loathes "the Bushes."

Carly Fiorina (R-CA)Sad The Hewlett-Packard CEO has only been the top woman in charge for over a year, but Gingrich is impressed with her business and political acumen. Fiorina is the first woman to lead a Top 20 company.

Pataki, I'd like no chance of Clinton in this TL.
jbm4pres
Rookie
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2017, 11:34:03 PM »

VEEPSTAKES
Spring and Summer 2000

Pataki, I'd like no chance of Clinton in this TL.

What about Governors Gilmore, Keating, Ridge, or Whitman? I think a running mate from outside of Washington might compliment Newt well. I also think Senator Voinovich might appear on the list as he was from an incredibly important swing state.
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2017, 11:46:40 PM »

It'll either be Thompson, Pataki, or Gilmore.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2017, 11:56:54 PM »

JC Watts!
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2017, 05:04:25 PM »

I don't like Newt, but since I assume your TL has him winning, I'd have him pick Pataki or Bush. Bush to solve a potential feud with a political dynasty that's powerful in the 2000 GOP, and Pataki to carry moderates in swing states.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2017, 07:58:12 PM »

VEEPSTAKES: NEWT AND CALLISTA, THE FINAL TALK
July 25, 2000

Newt: Before we make this announcement tomorrow we've got to be sure you're ready to be bold and you have an answer to everything. If you make this work it will be the greatest time of your life. But we can't screw this up I'll be blunt with you, and...

Callista: What Newt means is that this is a really unique chance and we think you're the right choice to be Newt's top partner. This means a lot to me too. You're part of the family, no matter what happens and...

Newt: Well, we will win, that's what will happen.

VP Candidate: Speaker Gingrich, Mrs. Gingrich, you can count on me. This won't be easy  but I've made a lot of success in my life and my wife and my family will make you and this county proud.

Newt: I believe it. We need America to believe it. Look I'll be blunt. My staff is nervous about this. They know you can do the work. They think you're ready to debate. They're worried about your stance on the issues but I'll tell you this they're wrong and here's why. The base needs me. The party needs me. But the country needs both of us and you'll help me make this new coalition of Republicans. What the party insiders don't get is that people want a bright team and that's what you and I will be.

VP Candidate: Mr. Speaker I very much look forward to working with you on this and you can count on me. I believe in your agenda and I will defend it all the way until we win on Election Night.

Callista: It's really an honor to be working with you and your lovely family on this. Tomorrow we break the news and it's going to explode because this is the biggest decision yet.

Newt: Now one final thing. They're thinking Gore is gonna' choose Lieberman, Kerry, Gephardt, Bayh, or Shaheen. I'm hearing he's between Lieberman and Kerry with Shaheen as a wildcard. Are you comfortable not just debating them but effectively destroying them in a debate?

VP Candidate: I will do that and more, sir.

NEXT POST: THE ANNOUNCEMENT! Can you guess who it will be? The answer may surprise you Smiley
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2017, 08:01:07 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2017, 08:04:29 PM by Not_Madigan »

This won't be easy  but I've made a lot of success in my life and my wife and my family will make you and this county proud.

My staff is nervous about this. They know you can do the work. They think you're ready to debate. They're worried about your stance on the issues

My guess is Trump.  A lot of success in his/her life leads me to believe it's a businessman/businesswoman and the Issues part makes me think Trump because he is nowhere near a typical republican.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2017, 08:17:17 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2017, 08:21:57 PM by Old School Republican »

Trump or Powell is my guess

My preference would be Kasich
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2017, 08:35:17 PM »

I have a feeling it's Bush
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2017, 08:45:30 PM »

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2017, 10:33:21 PM »

Jack Kemp?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2017, 04:30:24 AM »

Pataki, perhaps?
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2017, 04:36:41 PM »

VEEP PICK SHOCK! POLITICAL WORLD ROCKED
July 26, 2000

In Detroit, MI on July 26, 2000, GOP nominee Newt Gingrich shocked the political world by choosing wealthy businessman and Winter Olympics Committee chair Mitt Romney as his running mate. The son of the late Governor George Romney, Mitt Romney was a relative neophyte to politics having run an unsuccessful but spirited race in 1994 against Sen. Ted Kennedy. At the Detroit rally, Romney introduced his wife Ann and his family, and promised to help lead Newt Gingrich to victory for "bold, conservative principles." Instantly, right-wing groups began to launch diatribes against Romney's "liberal positions." But soon, Focus on the Family and other right-wing values groups came to Romney's defense, calling him a "staunch and steadfast supporter of a conservative Supreme Court."

The Gingrich campaign instantly launched varying 30-second ads introducing Gingrich's running mate in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Michigan, and a number of other states followed suit. Karl Rove called the pick "embarrassing and destabilizing," which earned the condemnation of his former boss, Gov. George W. Bush who said that he "welcomed Mr. Romney to the ticket and was pleased to support his compassionate conservatism."

Al Gore and the Democrats began to pile on the lack of foreign policy credentials of the GOP ticket. To hone in on his campaign theme of "steady, effective government," Al Gore chose Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman, possibly as a foil to Romney, to serve as VP.

Up Next: GOP Convention and Fall Political Primer
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2017, 05:20:32 PM »

I prob see W Bush as Sec of State or UN Ambassador
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2017, 05:35:01 PM »

VEEP PICK SHOCK! POLITICAL WORLD ROCKED
July 26, 2000

In Detroit, MI on July 26, 2000, GOP nominee Newt Gingrich shocked the political world by choosing wealthy businessman and Winter Olympics Committee chair Mitt Romney as his running mate. The son of the late Governor George Romney, Mitt Romney was a relative neophyte to politics having run an unsuccessful but spirited race in 1994 against Sen. Ted Kennedy. At the Detroit rally, Romney introduced his wife Ann and his family, and promised to help lead Newt Gingrich to victory for "bold, conservative principles." Instantly, right-wing groups began to launch diatribes against Romney's "liberal positions." But soon, Focus on the Family and other right-wing values groups came to Romney's defense, calling him a "staunch and steadfast supporter of a conservative Supreme Court."

The Gingrich campaign instantly launched varying 30-second ads introducing Gingrich's running mate in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Michigan, and a number of other states followed suit. Karl Rove called the pick "embarrassing and destabilizing," which earned the condemnation of his former boss, Gov. George W. Bush who said that he "welcomed Mr. Romney to the ticket and was pleased to support his compassionate conservatism."

Al Gore and the Democrats began to pile on the lack of foreign policy credentials of the GOP ticket. To hone in on his campaign theme of "steady, effective government," Al Gore chose Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman, possibly as a foil to Romney, to serve as VP.

Up Next: GOP Convention and Fall Political Primer

Well, at least Gingrich made history.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2017, 07:42:40 PM »

I prob see W Bush as Sec of State or UN Ambassador
I could see UN Ambassador, but since Dubya doesn't have any international experience, I have my doubts about Sec of State.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2017, 07:54:20 PM »

I did not see R Money at all, this will be interesting.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies