Idaho Mormons vs. Utah Mormons
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:57:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Idaho Mormons vs. Utah Mormons
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Idaho Mormons vs. Utah Mormons  (Read 645 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 26, 2017, 05:58:36 PM »

Are there any significant political differences between Utah Mormons and Idaho Mormons?  Idaho is more rural, so I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes in voting patterns.  Of course, they're the majority in Utah, but I'm not sure if Mormons in Idaho--where they're a large minority--are any less conservative.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 07:51:22 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2017, 07:53:43 PM by MB »

East Idaho is majority Mormon, and it doesn't seem any less conservative than Utah. It voted pretty similar to Utah in 2016, and McMullin got a larger percentage there than in the other parts of the state. For example, Madison County (home of BYU-Idaho and the Rexburg Temple) voted 93% for Romney and while it only voted 57% for Trump nearly a third went for McMullin, Obama received only 6% in 2012 and Clinton 7.7%. No county in Utah reached that percentage in 2012 and only two (Duchesne and Piute) voted less Democratic in 2016.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 08:51:07 PM »

I'm gonna keep this in shorthand for now but:

1. Yeah, rural vs urban does matter, we  Mormons aren't some perfect monolith that uniformly said "oooh Trump's a cheater, so we can't vote for him".

2. Idaho Mormons are generally more socially conservative, Utah Mormons more cosmopolitan and Neoconservative.

3. To hammer home points 2 and 1, FFS sake go back to 1964, there's a reason Idaho was closer than Florida that year for Goldwater, and it wasn't because of the panhandle, and a reason why Utah went for LBJ by nearly double digits. And in 1972, it was Eastern Idaho where Schmitz got his best results.

4. The Utah Mormon you're probably thinking of [and I obliged by this time for practical purposes] is a suburbanite based around the Salt Lake/Provo area, things are a bit different once you take that I-15 down to somewhere such as Lehi or St. George or wander over to Moab.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 09:05:55 PM »

FFS sake go back to 1964, there's a reason Idaho was closer than Florida that year for Goldwater, and it wasn't because of the panhandle

Well, it was probably more important that the Ada County voted for Goldwater by a pretty significant margin (56.4%-43.6%), making Boise pretty much the only urban area in the West he won (unless you count Orange County as "urban").
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies