Opinion of the Hajj
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:12:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Opinion of the Hajj
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of the Hajj
Freedom Pilgrimage

Horrible Pilgrimage

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Opinion of the Hajj  (Read 2566 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 12, 2017, 10:52:21 PM »

Now this actually sounds pretty cool and exciting. I wish there was a Christian equivalent that I could go on, although preferably one that would be allowed any time of year.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 11:12:06 PM »

Now this actually sounds pretty cool and exciting. I wish there was a Christian equivalent that I could go on, although preferably one that would be allowed any time of year.

Christianity has it a bit rough on that front. Its holy cities like Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Nazareth, and Antioch aren't exactly in friendly hands, and Rome and Constantinople are only holy cities to certain subsets of Christians.

One of the most critical developments towards the creation of the Papacy was the shift in the balance from "Five patriarchs representing holy cities of the Pentarchy" to "Oh s**t, Jerusalem, Alexandria, and Antioch are in enemy hands, guess we're down to just two," in dramatically accelerating the concentration of power in Rome. Once Rome and Constantinople fell out with each other, that finished the job.

Anyway, the Hajj is a fantastic idea marred by some horrible infrastructure nightmares. It is pretty much expected that a few people will be trampled to death every year.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 11:16:02 AM »

Ah yes. Religion should revolve around my vacation calendar!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 12:32:58 PM »

See that little black dot? Why, that's the holiest site of Islam.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 12:36:57 PM »

It's rather unfortunate that the outrageously over the top Fairmont casts a shadow of the Grand Mosque.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 12:50:09 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2017, 04:18:59 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

There are huge issues with crowd crushes and stampedes (typically resulting in at least hundreds of deaths each year) as a result of everyone having to come for Hajj at the same time.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 02:09:44 AM »

There are huge issues with crowd crushes and stampedes (typically resulting in at least hundreds of deaths each year) as a result of everyone having to come for Hajj at the same time.
That is indeed a major problem with the Hajj today. But to keep it a ritual, I think at most it could be performed once a month which helps for now, but doesn't help that much.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 06:31:40 PM »

Dear Mr Allah,

I am writing to inform you that upon examining your religion, I have sadly concluded that many facets remain unworkable to fit around my personal life. Please gracefully accept these humble suggestions to change the religion a bit:

1) update the hajj calander so that one can fix a festival schedule around it. Plus, have you considered a tie-in with Ingress? Think about it.

2) please clarify that under the rules of hijab, women are not obligated to cover - nay, encouraged to reveal - their feet? (I agree that it must be haram for men to cover their feet)

3) why were the Catholics allowed to stay in Iberia?

Yours sincerely
BRTD
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 07:13:50 PM »

Well, some Mormons treat visits to Nauvoo, Illinois as similar to a pilgrimage. As well as Carthage Illinois, since that's where the founder of our faith was murdered. It's not an official thing, but its something a lot of Mormon families do.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 04:09:14 PM »

I think I figured out why so many Muslims are pissed off.  Their number one holy site looks like Las Vegas.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 11:12:54 PM »

A friend of mine went on the hajj in college said it was a very valuable experience

Of course this was before the Saudis tore down pre-Islamic buildings near the Kaba to turn Mecca into Holy Vegas
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 02:20:07 PM »

Pretty cool, although it kinda sucks how there are a billion Muslims and only a couple million can do the Hajj per year - for over 90% of Muslims it's just mathematically impossible to ever go.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 08:27:23 AM »

And that's also why a Christian equivalent would have to be held at least multiple times a year, >90% of Muslims probably can't afford to go on the Hajj anyway, but since Christians are in more affluent countries, there'd be far more able to do so.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 10:01:35 AM »

And that's also why a Christian equivalent would have to be held at least multiple times a year, >90% of Muslims probably can't afford to go on the Hajj anyway, but since Christians are in more affluent countries, there'd be far more able to do so.

For Protestants, maybe a trip to Germany would work. Smiley
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 12:54:33 PM »

A friend of mine went on the hajj in college said it was a very valuable experience

Of course this was before the Saudis tore down pre-Islamic buildings near the Kaba to turn Mecca into Holy Vegas

With the blessing (*ahem*) of the Wahhabist clerics who have a theologically*-driven obsession with
destroying everything in the Kingdom that could even potentially be a site of idolatry.

*Though doing so also cements the Wahhabists' power and influence within (Sunni) Islam generally and Saudi society particularly.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 04:57:19 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2017, 04:59:44 PM by Kingpoleon »

For Protestants, maybe a trip to Germany would work. Smiley

I believe Wesleyanism has its roots in two of the three oldest Protestant denominations: that of Jan Hus and that of Peter Waldo. Taking into account the effect Wycliffe's theology affected Wesley's Anglican Church, as well as his own attachment to the teachings of Luther, it can easily be argued that Wesleyanism/Methodism is descended from all four of the earliest Protestants.

Edit: In case you were wondering, the Waldensians, numbering 45,000, have merged with the Methodists in Italy. The Moravians are down to about 245,000 members, and Wycliffe's followers no longer really exist as a church. Those that remained simply merged into the Anglican Church and, later, from the Anglican Church into the Methodist Church.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 05:09:15 PM »

Santiago de Compostela is a famous Christian pilgrimage site, with over a quarter of a million people last year traveling the Camino de Santiago. BRTD can't do that though, because it's Catholic.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 08:16:09 PM »

Santiago de Compostela is a famous Christian pilgrimage site, with over a quarter of a million people last year traveling the Camino de Santiago. BRTD can't do that though, because it's Catholic.

Good point: there are tons of locations associated with different Christian saints, and any one of them could serve as a focus of pilgrimage.

Of course, if we want to avoid the "Mecca problem", we might have to start sanctifying more Americans.
Kringla Heimsins
France

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 05:16:35 PM »

Good point: there are tons of locations associated with different Christian saints, and any one of them could serve as a focus of pilgrimage.

Of course, if we want to avoid the "Mecca problem", we might have to start sanctifying more Americans.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Protestants don't recognize Sainthood, right? That's the problem with being an heretic.

The Santiago pilgrimage is a pretty cool experience (I've heard). The point it to do it by foot along the historical ways :

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 05:33:51 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Protestants don't recognize Sainthood, right? That's the problem with being an heretic.
Anglicans do.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 08:47:21 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Protestants don't recognize Sainthood, right?

Some do.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_of_saints_(Lutheran)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2017, 11:09:58 PM »

2) please clarify that under the rules of hijab, women are not obligated to cover - nay, encouraged to reveal - their feet? (I agree that it must be haram for men to cover their feet)

Today at church the worship band was two girls and three guys. The worship leader, who was the lead vocalist and playing keyboards I noticed from the start was playing barefoot the whole time, and there was a female guitarist who got up on stage wearing sandals but then kicked them off before playing, but all the guys were wearing shoes. Was quite to my liking. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies