Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2017, 02:10:38 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Cast your Ballot in the 2016 Mock Election

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Gubernatorial/Statewide Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, Virginia)
| | |-+  2018: PA Governor's Race
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 2018: PA Governor's Race  (Read 2101 times)
Tinder Time with Tilden
Spark498
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.22

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2017, 11:28:13 pm »
Ignore

My picks:

(D): Tom Wolf
(R): Scott Wagner

Also, I will be voting against the incumbent Governor Tom Wolf, and hope he goes down. It should be a close race though.

My prediction for this race:

Wolf (D): 52%
Wagner (R): 48%
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 12:14:24 am by Spark498 »Logged

President: Trump
smoltchanov
YaBB God
Russian Federation
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 06:13:23 am »
Ignore

Wagner is far too conservative for my generally centrist tastes..... So - rooting for Wolf

Raging moderate. Big fan of "mavericks" (in all parties) and big non-lover of "reliable foot soldiers" (in all parties as well). Very much "anti-tea party". Political Matrix - E: -0.26, S: -3.48. Like to collect bans on partisan sites (4-5 on DKE (+ SSP) and on RRH).
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 08:51:56 am »
Ignore

Wolf will win reelection with about the same margin than he got elected in 2014. The bench of strong GOPers is very thin. He may have been in trouble with President Clinton. As of now, lean to likely D.

United Arab Emirates Immigrant, naturalized US citizen, resident of the wonderful state of California, devoted liberal Democrat. Any questions?

Endorsements:
- President: Kamala Harris
- CA Governor: Gavin Newsom
- CA Senate: Kevin de León

- NJ Governor: Phil Murphy
- VA Governor: Ralph Northam
- AL Senate: Doug Jones
Old Liner
PragmaticPopulist
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 12:19:20 pm »
Ignore

Leans D. While Trump won Pennsylvania, he won it by less than a percent, and at the same time, Democrats won all the statewide offices that were up. Add incumbancy to that, and he should be slightly favored. And Scott Wagner seems too conservative for Pennsylvania. I don't see anything changing unless a better Republican enters.

Bring back the big tent
Endorsements
AZ-SEN - Kyrsten Sinema
FL-SEN - Bill Nelson
FL-GOV - Gwen Graham
GA-GOV - Stacey Evans
MD-06 - Aruna Miller
MD-GOV - Rushern Baker or Kevin Kamenetz
MI-SEN - Debbie Stabenow
MN-SEN - Amy Klobuchar
MN-GOV - Tim Walz
NV-SEN - Jacky Rosen
NJ-GOV - Phil Murphy
OH-SEN - Sherrod Brown
VA-SEN - Tim Kaine
VA-GOV - Ralph Northam
WI-SEN - Tammy Baldwin
WI-GOV - Kathleen Vinehout
Cory Booker
olawakandi
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 10:47:36 am »
Ignore

Wolf 51-46%

President:
S-NJ Cory Booker
P-OH Tim Ryan

Gubernatorial election
S-NJ Phil Murphy
P-VA Ralph Northam

Senatorial election
S-NV Rosen
L-MI Kid Rock😂
S-OH Sherrod Brown
TP-AZ Kelli Ward elected
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 02:08:06 pm »
Ignore

Hard to see Wolf losing, he ran very well in western PA in 2014. If the Philly area is as D as 2016, no way GOP will get Trump like margins in SW PA against him.
AKCreative
Nyvin
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 03:47:22 pm »
Ignore

I don't see Wolf losing in any scenario.
Representative Cactus
azcactus
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 03:50:02 pm »
Ignore

Wolf wins comfortably. Trump's fluke in the state didn't miraculously turn Pennsylvania purple overnight.

Political Matrix Scores:
E: -6.97
S: -5.91

Endorsements:
VA-GOV: Ralph Northam (D)
NJ-GOV: Phil Murphy (D)
AL-SEN: Doug Jones (D)
AZ-SEN: Kyrsten Sinema (D)
AZ-GOV: Steve Farley (D)
People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 06:16:22 am »
Ignore

Wolf wins comfortably. Trump's fluke in the state didn't miraculously turn Pennsylvania purple overnight.

PA has long been purple.

The problem for the Republicans was that they could never win back enough of the Philly burbs or get enough out of the rest of the state to counteract the losses there, until 2016 when the latter largely happened. This is why they always came close but fell short in the end in 2000 and 2004.

Republicans have also traditionally nominated candidates like Bush, McCain and Romney, who were bad fits for both the burbs and the Casey Democrats in the rest of the state (NE, NW And SW PA), until Trump who was a great fit for the latter.

The Philly burbs are basically finishing up their transformation, thus the decline in GOP performance in low turnout elections like for court, but the transition of those former Dems in the rest of the state is many cycles away from that stage and thus still willing to vote for homeboy Democrats and probably still winning to vote for Wolf.

Though it should be noted that Casey of all people collapsed spectacularly in Western PA in 2012, against a really dreadful candidate and Toomey also won Erie and Luzerne Counties, both of which he lost in 2010, so it is more than just Trump, it is a long term process.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 06:18:30 am by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »Logged

People's Speaker of the Atlasian House of Representatives

MT Treasurer
IndyRep
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 06:37:32 am »
Ignore

^Exactly. I'd rate it Tilt D at this point, but Wolf definitely isn't "safe". Let's not forget that Corbett lost in a landslide despite the fact that an unpopular Democrat was president at that time. These gubernatorial races aren't easy to nationalize.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 06:47:42 am by MT Treasurer »Logged

2018 "Endorsements":

MT-SEN: Matt Rosendale (R)
MO-SEN: Josh Hawley (R)
WV-SEN: Evan Jenkins (R)
NH-GOV: Stefany Shaheen (D)
NH-02: Annie Kuster (D)

Wulfric seems to just LOVE Tester.
King Louis XV
windjammer
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 06:45:34 am »
Ignore

I mean, Wolf is unpopular and probably would be losing with HRC president but the president is Trump, so he should be fine: Lean dem.

I agree witj everything Yankee has said. I just would like to add that it seems to me that Trump won PA because his voters massively turn out, I don't think republicans will be able to replicate that in 2018 and 2020.

PA isn't going to become a GOp stronghold, it's more likely going to remain a purple state.

Flo   it seems like everytime i talk to you i have some sort of illness
Windjammer Partisan Voting Index for US state senates
Windjammer Partisan Voting Index for US State Houses
Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 05:38:36 pm »
Ignore

Lean D. Costello, Dent, Fitzpatrick(either one), or Cawley make this between Tilt R and Tossup, depending on which one enters. Gerlach, Greenwood, Hart, Platts, English, Kelly, Meehan, and Murphy would be good nominees, too.

TL;DR: Listing a bunch of moderate Pennsylvania Representatives

"America now is stumbling through the darkness of hatred and divisiveness. Our values, our principles, and our determination to succeed as a free and democratic people will give us a torch to light the way." - Gerald Ford

"Good speech and good looks covers man's every vice. Plain speech and plain looks covers man's every virtue."

Economic: 1.38
Social: -2.36

LOA for 3+ Days For cognitive rest after a concussion
People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 02:22:48 am »
Ignore

I mean, Wolf is unpopular and probably would be losing with HRC president but the president is Trump, so he should be fine: Lean dem.

I agree witj everything Yankee has said. I just would like to add that it seems to me that Trump won PA because his voters massively turn out, I don't think republicans will be able to replicate that in 2018 and 2020.

PA isn't going to become a GOp stronghold, it's more likely going to remain a purple state.

Turnout was a factor, but he also flipped a lot of votes as well.

He outperformed Romney by about 300,000 votes. Clinton under performed Obama by about 70,000.

People's Speaker of the Atlasian House of Representatives

Orser67
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 08:46:54 am »
Ignore

I'd rate it likely D. It's going to be very hard for Republicans to take down an incumbent governor in a swing state during a Trump mid-term, and there isn't a Paterno-level scandal to mobilize non-ideological voters
JoshPA
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 06:16:17 pm »
Ignore

Wagner is far too conservative for my generally centrist tastes..... So - rooting for Wolf
Wolf is consider the most liberal governor in the country.

I try my best to make prediction not base on bias.
GGSETTER
Rookie
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 04:14:41 pm »
Ignore

Wolf will win reelection with about the same margin than he got elected in 2014. The bench of strong GOPers is very thin. He may have been in trouble with President Clinton. As of now, lean to likely D.

I'm assuming that you don't live in Pennsylvania because of you did there is no way you would think that Wolf is going to win reelection. He won last time because he was up against an extremely unpopular Republican who gutted the Education system. Please explain why you think Wolf won again.
Dwarven Dragon
Wulfric
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 05:25:45 pm »
Ignore

At this point, I expect my endorsement will be for Mr. Wolf, and expect him to win.

ALL ALABAMA VOTERS ARE DUTY AND HONOR BOUND TO VOTE FOR DOUG JONES FOR SENATE ON DECEMBER 12TH.
---

---
#SherrodBrown2020
https://tengaged.com/user/JasonEldridge

'17/'18 Gov. Ratings: https://tinyurl.com/h35xfkr (10/9: AZ: Lean R --> Strong Lean R)
'17/'18 Senate Ratings (somewhat under construction): http://tinyurl.com/yb7sxe9a (10/18: UT: Strong Lean R --> Safe R)
'18 House Rating: Strong Lean R
Bagel23
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.32, S: -1.65

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 11:29:37 pm »
Ignore

Lean D. #CantFirebombtheTom

I'm a Southern Blue-Dog Democrat... one of the few still left...

#FDT

Proud Member of the Federalist party in Atlasia.

Old Liner
PragmaticPopulist
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 04:15:55 pm »
Ignore

Another Wagner rant. Maybe he's trying to outdo Trump by running an openly anti-Semitic campaign.

Bring back the big tent
Endorsements
AZ-SEN - Kyrsten Sinema
FL-SEN - Bill Nelson
FL-GOV - Gwen Graham
GA-GOV - Stacey Evans
MD-06 - Aruna Miller
MD-GOV - Rushern Baker or Kevin Kamenetz
MI-SEN - Debbie Stabenow
MN-SEN - Amy Klobuchar
MN-GOV - Tim Walz
NV-SEN - Jacky Rosen
NJ-GOV - Phil Murphy
OH-SEN - Sherrod Brown
VA-SEN - Tim Kaine
VA-GOV - Ralph Northam
WI-SEN - Tammy Baldwin
WI-GOV - Kathleen Vinehout
Al Franken/Chris Murphy 2020
MAINEiac4434
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 06:42:15 pm »
Ignore

If more people approve than disapprove of him in a politically polarized state like Pennsylvania, it's hard to see him going down. Likely D, but closer to Lean that Safe.

Flawless Beautiful Sherrod Brown ❤ ❤ ❤
BuckeyeNut
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2017, 03:07:21 am »
Ignore

lolwut

"I'm a Cleveland sports-fan and an Ohio Democrat. Every morning I wake up with a big smile on my face."
AKCreative
Nyvin
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2017, 11:13:42 am »
Ignore

Huh?

I'm assuming that you don't live in Pennsylvania because of you did there is no way you would think that Wolf is going to win reelection. He won last time because he was up against an extremely unpopular Republican who gutted the Education system. Please explain why you think Wolf won again.

Because PA govs historically almost always win re-election.    Corbett is probably the only exception to this.
Figueira
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2017, 05:21:08 pm »
Ignore

Huh?

Because PA govs historically almost always win re-election.    Corbett is probably the only exception to this.

This is actually true of governors in general, regardless of state (and party). The only incumbents I really expect to lose at this point are Rauner and Raimondo (and I wouldn't be surprised if the latter doesn't run).

Note: I am not actually British.

MT Treasurer
IndyRep
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2017, 05:28:50 pm »
Ignore

This is actually true of governors in general, regardless of state (and party). The only incumbents I really expect to lose at this point are Rauner and Raimondo (and I wouldn't be surprised if the latter doesn't run).

Huh, really? You think RI is a more likely GOP pick-up than AK or PA? Is Raimondo really that unpopular?

2018 "Endorsements":

MT-SEN: Matt Rosendale (R)
MO-SEN: Josh Hawley (R)
WV-SEN: Evan Jenkins (R)
NH-GOV: Stefany Shaheen (D)
NH-02: Annie Kuster (D)

Wulfric seems to just LOVE Tester.
Figueira
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2017, 09:07:42 pm »
Ignore

Huh, really? You think RI is a more likely GOP pick-up than AK or PA? Is Raimondo really that unpopular?

I'm also factoring in the possibility of a primary challenge, but yeah, most of what I've heard from people in RI makes me want to bet on her losing. It's a Tossup though.

I haven't really paid that much attention to PA or AK, admittedly.

Note: I am not actually British.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout