UK Liberal Democrats leadership election, 2017 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:41:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK Liberal Democrats leadership election, 2017 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK Liberal Democrats leadership election, 2017  (Read 12908 times)
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« on: June 16, 2017, 06:54:47 AM »

I honestly do think though they could benefit from some rebranding. Maybe dropping the Democrats and just calling themselves the 'Liberal Party' would more accurately capture them at this point.

I definitely do think Norman Lamb is the best option. Alistair Carmichael would be a good fit for Deputy Leader to show the look towards Scotland among the party. Obviously Jo Swinson should be given a prominent role as a spokesperson of some sort.

Huh? Swinson is Scottish, and a much better politician than Carmichael.

https://youtu.be/typQ_JY85hc?t=6m31s

Getting demolished by Galloway on tuition on frees. Bodes well for the student vote.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 01:02:34 PM »

I honestly do think though they could benefit from some rebranding. Maybe dropping the Democrats and just calling themselves the 'Liberal Party' would more accurately capture them at this point.

I definitely do think Norman Lamb is the best option. Alistair Carmichael would be a good fit for Deputy Leader to show the look towards Scotland among the party. Obviously Jo Swinson should be given a prominent role as a spokesperson of some sort.

Huh? Swinson is Scottish, and a much better politician than Carmichael.

https://youtu.be/typQ_JY85hc?t=6m31s

Getting demolished by Galloway on tuition on frees. Bodes well for the student vote.

Old hat. The coalition won't stay relevant forever, too much has happened in British politics since then.

The LibDems aren't going to get the youth vote (and young people still have crap turnout); that isn't who they need to appeal to.

Really though? because we've seen Macron and D66 do insanely well in Univeristy towns and with university graduate, and that brand of liberalism is clearly appealing to that demographic. Furthermore, tuition fees are massive vote winenr with the 40+ % of people who go to uni at some stage and get themselves 27.000 in debt.

I think the LibDems next focus should be regaining the South West, but after that they must go back to presenting themselves to a demographic that wants a quality public service and individual freedom.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 12:48:32 PM »

Vince Cable...why not just bring back Paddy Ashdown?

LibDem under Cable will have an appeal to Liberal Tories I guess

Isn't Cable part of the social democratic wing of the LDs?

Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 01:02:38 PM »

Vince Cable...why not just bring back Paddy Ashdown?

LibDem under Cable will have an appeal to Liberal Tories I guess

Isn't Cable part of the social democratic wing of the LDs?

Can't say he showed much of that during the coalition years

I imagine most of the tuition fee business was negotiated with the Tories before he even got his hands on the ministry.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies