UK Liberal Democrats leadership election, 2017 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:24:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK Liberal Democrats leadership election, 2017 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK Liberal Democrats leadership election, 2017  (Read 12903 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: June 15, 2017, 01:54:36 PM »

Lloyd is my preferred candidate, followed by Brake and Davey.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 03:46:13 PM »

Also worth noting that the one characteristic they should look out for is someone who generally comes across well as a leader; there's a reason that Thatcher/Blair/Clegg/Cameron were all able to do bend their parties ideologies, and perform very well in elections. If they had someone like Clegg without his baggage they could do well regardless of what position they take

They desperately need someone with the magnetism and charisma of Clegg.

Honestly, I would like to see the Liberal Democrats become the centrist party, and, outside of England, they should run as unionist devolution-supporters. If they manage to solidify their credentials as the pro-Europe, centrist party, eventually they will catch back on with the youth.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 06:49:04 PM »

Also worth noting that the one characteristic they should look out for is someone who generally comes across well as a leader; there's a reason that Thatcher/Blair/Clegg/Cameron were all able to do bend their parties ideologies, and perform very well in elections. If they had someone like Clegg without his baggage they could do well regardless of what position they take

If they manage to solidify their credentials as the pro-Europe, centrist party, eventually they will catch back on with the youth.

Why would that help them with young voters?

Yeah, don't forget that their pre-2015 popularity with young voters was in no small part thanks to the fact that they presented themselves as to the left of Labour (not just tuition fees but Iraq, civil liberties and the Charles Kennedy brand of social democracy)

Of course. They need to be the party of civil liberties as well. I quite admire the platform of Kennedy 2005 and Clegg 2010 Liberal Democrats. Unfortunately, Clegg's apology became a joke song instead of being accepted.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 06:49:56 PM »

Lamb vs. Davey, then? With Lamb as the favorite?
Davey has less baggage and seems more electable.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 12:08:51 AM »

Lamb vs. Davey, then? With Lamb as the favorite?
Davey has less baggage and seems more electable.

What "baggage" does Lamb have? If anything, Davey has more business connections and so forth that certain types of people might view as "baggage".

His past campaign against Farron showed him to be a rather weak candidate.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 04:34:43 PM »

Vince Cable is too old. I would prefer him to Lamb, probably, but Lloyd, Davey, or the New Jo would be better than either.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 01:40:09 AM »

Tbh I'm kind of amazed that a significant portion of former LibDem voters supported Leave.
The Liberal Democrats' national emphasis on supporting the E. U. wasn't always reflected at the local level.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 01:16:09 AM »

Ed Davey has announced he isn't standing.

It's looking likely there won't even be a contest now.
If Lloyd doesn't run, the other three MPs are all new. Hobhouse, I believe, would be the first party leader born outside of the United Kingdom.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 01:58:37 PM »

Ed Davey has announced he isn't standing.

It's looking likely there won't even be a contest now.
If Lloyd doesn't run, the other three MPs are all new. Hobhouse, I believe, would be the first party leader born outside of the United Kingdom.

Andrew Bonar Law, the Conservative leader from 1911-21 and 1922-23, was born in New Brunswick which is now a Canadian province.

Wera Hobhouse does not seem to be a very plausible candidate to be a party leader.

At the time he was born, however, New Brunswick was not yet part of the Canadian Confederation.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies