UK Liberal Democrats leadership election, 2017 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:29:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK Liberal Democrats leadership election, 2017 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK Liberal Democrats leadership election, 2017  (Read 12899 times)
Kamala
Madagascar

« on: June 14, 2017, 01:22:22 PM »

Would Carmichael be a good choice, considering his seat is probably the safest Lib Dem seat, allowing him to spend more time campaigning for other Lib Dems rather than defending his own seat (unlike Farron who almost lost in Westmorland)
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 04:44:49 PM »

Would Carmichael be a good choice, considering his seat is probably the safest Lib Dem seat, allowing him to spend more time campaigning for other Lib Dems rather than defending his own seat (unlike Farron who almost lost in Westmorland)

To be fair, Westmorland was the safest Lib Dem seat in 2015, that can probably change quite a bit. Did anyone expect the Lib Dems to lose Ceredigion for example? It was the 3rd safest seat, and the Lib Dems had always had a seat in Wales even at their worst, normally in rural Wales (like Ceredegion).

Fair point.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 05:15:56 PM »

I think the Lib Dems made a good go at being the Remain Party but I remember seeing polls saying that Brexit was like the 5th or 6th most important issue, far from being the centre of the election. I don't really see a way forward for them - the seats they almost won (Fife NE, St Ives, and Richmond Park) are very different in character, and the only seat they seem poised to call "safe" is Orkney and Shetland.

I guess they could fold and simply become the Orkney and Shetland Party.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 11:45:46 PM »

I guess they could fold and simply become the Orkney and Shetland Party.

Or the Jo Party (Grimond; Swinson)

Hmm. Could they potentially reconfigure themselves as some sort of "Scottish Unionist Party" as opposed to the SNP? Actually I think that strategy would fail worse than the Remain Party. Nevermind.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies