UK Liberal Democrats leadership election, 2017 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:53:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK Liberal Democrats leadership election, 2017 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK Liberal Democrats leadership election, 2017  (Read 12920 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: June 14, 2017, 07:47:21 PM »

Not that I particularly like Farron, but I really don't think this is fair. No one could have expected the LibDems to rebound only two years after the Clegging, and Farron did actually manage to make gains. And since the next leader is actually going to be a Coalition stooge...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 09:24:54 PM »

Not that I particularly like Farron, but I really don't think this is fair. No one could have expected the LibDems to rebound only two years after the Clegging, and Farron did actually manage to make gains. And since the next leader is actually going to be a Coalition stooge...
It's probably that almost barely losing your seat (when your party had net gains) doesn't really look good to anyone.

There are many factors coming to play in this that have nothing to do with the candidate's quality. I still think that's unfair.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 03:42:32 PM »

Honestly, I would prefer the LibDems to just die now. Let's move back to a two-party system and offer Britain a clear choice for their future.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 04:31:39 PM »

Honestly, I would prefer the LibDems to just die now. Let's move back to a two-party system and offer Britain a clear choice for their future.

I hope not. The world is not black and white.

Maybe, but Britain is red and blue. Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 05:20:50 PM »

In many ways May surpassed Thatcher last week, however unlike Thatcher she didn't have a divided opposition vote that is electorally crucified by FPTP. The only future of the left is the none-revival of the Liberals, and given they've had five years of opposition and they've barely moved an inch except in the minority of seats where they're the only game in town, it seems that the good-will they burnt by going into the coalition has gone for good and the electorate mindset is one of two-party (except in Scotland, where the left lost ground).

We can only hope that the SNP blight will be vanquished as well, eventually, and that when this nationalist wedge issue dies down Scotland will return to its proud history of Labour support.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 03:54:00 PM »

Instructional image (number of seats within share range; middle column):-

The divisions in Labour over Brexit might offer an opportunity for their revival, but as it stands whoever they choose is stepping into a situation when they're nowhere in 92% of GB seats (they're 2nd in only 1 seat of the 2nd tier, so are liable to be squeezed into <10%).

This chart also suggests that Labour vote is pretty inefficiently distributed. They were over 60% in 115 seats, while the Tories, despite their higher percentage, only were in 90.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 11:37:24 AM »

Tbh I'm kind of amazed that a significant portion of former LibDem voters supported Leave.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 01:14:10 AM »

Can't disable the Cable!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length