MD-Gov: Don't be Jealous!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:03:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD-Gov: Don't be Jealous!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13
Author Topic: MD-Gov: Don't be Jealous!  (Read 31596 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2017, 12:07:40 PM »

Nurses are very different from doctors - doctors are normally a group impossible to please in health reforms (they were the biggest opponents of the NHS, for example; and simultaneously now the NHS is in place are the biggest opponents of Tory "free market reforms"). American doctors have large amounts of student debt and fear that single payer will lessen their incomes (disproportionately high compared with many countries) and mean they are less likely to pay back their debt. This may be an unfounded fear:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3110239/

but it is understandable, especially as most doctors in America associate government funded insurance with being paid less. As Bevan found, any move to single-payer would probably require a few mouths to be stuffed with gold.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2017, 05:19:56 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2017, 05:25:48 PM by PragmaticPopulist »

I would say that your second point is more valid, but keep in mind that Larry Hogan had never held elected office prior to being elected governor.
He's literally the first Governor of Maryland without elected experience since Augustus Bradford was elected in 1862. Besides, it seems like the Republican primary electorate prefers candidates without elected experience more than the Democratic electorate.
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2017, 07:06:50 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2017, 07:11:45 PM by Angry Socdem »

Nurses are very different from doctors - doctors are normally a group impossible to please in health reforms (they were the biggest opponents of the NHS, for example; and simultaneously now the NHS is in place are the biggest opponents of Tory "free market reforms"). American doctors have large amounts of student debt and fear that single payer will lessen their incomes (disproportionately high compared with many countries) and mean they are less likely to pay back their debt. This may be an unfounded fear:

but it is understandable, especially as most doctors in America associate government funded insurance with being paid less. As Bevan found, any move to single-payer would probably require a few mouths to be stuffed with gold.
I must admit, this is a very strong argument.

However, as of now, 56% of doctors support single-payer healthcare. It should be noted that in 2008, 58% of doctors opposed single-payer (it discusses why in the article).

Considering the fact that doctors are relatively split evenly between the two parties, it can be assumed that this support number would be substantially higher among Democratic doctors.

He's literally the first Governor of Maryland without elected experience since Augustus Bradford was elected in 1862. Besides, it seems like the Republican primary electorate prefers candidates without elected experience more than the Democratic electorate.
I don't deny that Maryland likes elected experience in it's politicians, but how many states do elect governors without experience? Or, rather, how has the performance of "green" (as in "with little experience) Democratic candidates in competitive gubernatorial races been? The bolded point really needs a constant to compare to in order to be effective.

I would consider the non-bolded point to be a reasonable assumption, however, Hogan won among the Maryland general election electorate, where Democrats outnumber Republicans 2-1.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2017, 11:12:15 PM »

Probably the inverse: that more doctors are Democrats.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2017, 03:37:14 PM »

Maya Rockeymoore Cummings is in.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2017, 08:49:44 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2017, 12:21:34 PM »

*eyebrows raised*

Jealous, for some reason, has been an aggressively mediocre candidate (as has most of the MD Dem field).
This is a bone thrown to the Bernie crowd ahead of ‘20. No more no less
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2017, 08:56:08 AM »

Sen. Van Hollen is endorsing Rushern Baker.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2017, 03:30:10 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/former-md-congresswoman-donna-edwards-to-run-for-county-executive/2017/10/04/76f9e0e0-a7a6-11e7-92d1-58c702d2d975_story.html?utm_term=.9382ec8ec33f

Looks like this flew under the radar. She is running to replace Rushern Baker. This is likely a boost African American turnout and makes the path even harder for Hogan.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2017, 03:32:44 PM »

Bye bye Hogan
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2017, 03:39:32 PM »

nobody minds hogan, nobody loves hogan.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2017, 08:33:09 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/former-md-congresswoman-donna-edwards-to-run-for-county-executive/2017/10/04/76f9e0e0-a7a6-11e7-92d1-58c702d2d975_story.html?utm_term=.9382ec8ec33f

Looks like this flew under the radar. She is running to replace Rushern Baker. This is likely a boost African American turnout and makes the path even harder for Hogan.

Good. I miss Donna Edwards.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2017, 08:34:58 PM »

She belongs in Mikulski's seat, but County Executive of Prince George will have to do for now.
swf541

« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2017, 09:24:07 PM »

I mind Hogan
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2017, 10:25:29 PM »

I endorse Rushern Baker.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2017, 06:26:07 PM »

As a native of PG County, I'm with you there.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2017, 07:37:31 PM »

Rockeymoore Cummings is Elijah Cumming's wife. Did not know that!
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2018, 02:21:36 PM »

Welp, Cummings is out, reportedly because of Elijah Cummings' health. https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/rockeymoore-cummings-drops-out-of-maryland-governors-race/2018/01/05/6f3e1fa4-f230-11e7-b3bf-ab90a706e175_story.html?utm_term=.0b640a553f48
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2018, 02:40:25 PM »

Well then. She’s probably going to go after his seat now.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2018, 03:36:00 PM »

Mrs. Cummings would have given Hogan a scare, especially with black voters. Anthony Brown was probably too "white" for some hardcore left-wing black voters to win statewide.

https://mayaformaryland.com/

I like Rep. Elijah Cummings. He is one of my favorite congressmembers. Had he not had health issues, he would have been a good attack dog VP for Clinton than Kaine, but that was then, this is now.

I wonder if Rep. Cummings resigns due to health.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2018, 04:17:49 PM »

I usually loathe dynastic politics, but I'd be okay with her taking his seat. It's unfortunate that she's no longer in the gubernatorial election. The gubernatorial election is back to being a sausage party, unfortunately.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2018, 04:36:37 PM »

Cummings suspended her campaign, she didn’t technically drop out. But she probably won’t be in this race either way, for much longer.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2018, 05:34:00 PM »

I usually loathe dynastic politics, but I'd be okay with her taking his seat. It's unfortunate that she's no longer in the gubernatorial election. The gubernatorial election is back to being a sausage party, unfortunately.
I wouldn't call the campaign a total Sausage Party. Rushern Baker is a pretty serious candidate that should at least give Hogan a scare. It's Jealous who I'm afraid could throw the general election to Hogan.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2018, 05:51:19 PM »

Did she have a serious shot anyways, I though the race was between Baker, Jealous, and Kamenetz?
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2018, 06:45:15 PM »

I wouldn't call the campaign a total Sausage Party. Rushern Baker is a pretty serious candidate that should at least give Hogan a scare. It's Jealous who I'm afraid could throw the general election to Hogan.

I was just referring to the remaining candidates being men. I didn't mean to infer that they weren't serious. I find it hard to imagine Rushern Baker losing the primary or the general, but it was nice having Maya Rockeymoore Cummings around.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies