Liberals...do you realize Trump is "winning"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:15:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Liberals...do you realize Trump is "winning"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Liberals...do you realize Trump is "winning"?  (Read 3331 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 26, 2017, 01:42:35 PM »

Whether it's Gorsuch and likely more SC appointments in the future, loading the Federal courts, leaving TPP and Paris, the travel ban, the nothing-burger of "Russia-gate"....do you all realize he's winning?

As someone who politically opposed Obama, once I admitted to myself Obama had in essence "won", it was easier to move on and focus on the future.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 01:44:18 PM »

Whether it's Gorsuch and likely more SC appointments in the future, loading the Federal courts, leaving TPP and Paris, the travel ban, the nothing-burger of "Russia-gate"....do you all realize he's winning?

As someone who politically opposed Obama, once I admitted to myself Obama had in essence "won", it was easier to move on and focus on the future.

winning does nit entitle him to destroy the foundation of the us democracy but thank you anyway for your kind words of empathy.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 01:54:51 PM »

All you've managed to do is lower the bar. Things like the Supreme Court and "loading the federal courts" is a given for any president (except maybe a lame duck with an opposition Senate... cough cough). TPP was already dead before Trump was sworn in, and again the Paris Accord was a given if a Republican won.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 01:56:45 PM »

Funny you call this winning, I call it our generations Jimmy Carter.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 01:57:37 PM »

winning does nit entitle him to destroy the foundation of the us democracy but thank you anyway for your kind words of empathy.

So you agree he's winning, you just hate what you perceive is the cost of winning or whatever?
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 01:59:29 PM »

40% approval rating, under FBI investigation, pushing unpopular legislation and on pace to lead his party to a mid-term wipeout.

If this is winning, I would hate to see what losing looks like.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 02:01:02 PM »

Call me back in 8 years and we'll see if he's "won." I doubt very much in eight years you'll think he's a winner. Maybe in your deluded stupidity. But take a good look at the last 4 popular vote losers and see how their presidencies went. Hint: All of them wound up poorly rated by history. Further hint - there's a big reason for that.

He's also under FBI investigation, he can't pass a healthcare law in his first six months (well, maybe he will "barely" adjust) ObamaCare,and there's so many other things I could go on. His legacy is not going to be what you think it will be.

In other words, you don't grasp the working political definition of "victory." Why do you have to basically epitomize the Trumpian working class whites who don't really get politics but insist on regaling us with this drek?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »

To pick an analogy that is painfully close to home: so were the Atlanta Falcons in the last Super Bowl.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 02:07:41 PM »

Call me back in 8 years and we'll see if he's "won." I doubt very much in eight years you'll think he's a winner. Maybe in your deluded stupidity. But take a good look at the last 4 popular vote losers and see how their presidencies went. Hint: All of them wound up poorly rated by history. Further hint - there's a big reason for that.

He's also under FBI investigation, he can't pass a healthcare law in his first six months (well, maybe he will "barely" adjust) ObamaCare,and there's so many other things I could go on. His legacy is not going to be what you think it will be.

In other words, you don't grasp the working political definition of "victory." Why do you have to basically epitomize the Trumpian working class whites who don't really get politics but insist on regaling us with this drek?

I didn't realize you were a "liberal" TD Tongue
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 02:08:31 PM »

ACA Repeal will be his first major legislative victory...five months after he was inaugurated. By this point, Obama had passed a trillion dollar stimulus and George W. Bush had passed the largest tax cut of all time. It's very unclear whether he'll get another legislative victory out of this Congress.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 02:11:38 PM »

Sort of like Herbert Hoover at this time in 1929. Except that Hoover had more of a moral compass.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 02:14:47 PM »

38% approval and being under investigation 6 months in is "winning"? Man you guys are desperate
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 02:15:52 PM »

I'm getting increasingly convinced that Reaganfan is a bitter Democrat who is just out to make Trump supporters and other assorted right-wingers look bad.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 02:17:08 PM »

Democrats can no longer delude themselves they can just sit back and wait for Trumpism to run out. Remember how early it still is
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 02:23:29 PM »

Democrats can no longer delude themselves they can just sit back and wait for Trumpism to run out. Remember how early it still is

Better yet, the idea that the scandals surrounding Trump will definitely bring down the GOP in 2020. Coolidge won his own term in spite of Harding's scandals, Ford was less than 30k votes in MS and OH away from winning in 76', and Gore won the popular vote and maybe even the election in Florida despite Lewinsky.

The point is, political parties and partisan loyalty (especially in these hyper partisan times) are much more powerful than some would like to think. It's more likely than not that Trump doesn't singlehandley bring down the GOP. There has to be a genuine crisis and a mishandling of it by the Republican Party for them to be cast into the wilderness for awhile.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 02:26:50 PM »

Ok... so, you're saying, in essence, that the party in power is using that power? I don't think anyone is denying that here?
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 02:31:44 PM »

Better yet, the idea that the scandals surrounding Trump will definitely bring down the GOP in 2020. Coolidge won his own term in spite of Harding's scandals, Ford was less than 30k votes in MS and OH away from winning in 76', and Gore won the popular vote and maybe even the election in Florida despite Lewinsky.

The point is, political parties and partisan loyalty (especially in these hyper partisan times) are much more powerful than some would like to think. It's more likely than not that Trump doesn't singlehandley bring down the GOP. There has to be a genuine crisis and a mishandling of it by the Republican Party for them to be cast into the wilderness for awhile.

I doubt even that would do that trick.

I mean the GOP should still be in the wilderness after the Bush years and just two years after 2008, they had control of the house.

Politics are cyclically in this country. As terrible as Trump is and I do believe the GOP will suffer in 2018 and 2020, they will won't be in the wilderness regardless how terrible his presidency is.   
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2017, 02:32:28 PM »

LOL would bet on balance I'm to “ReaganFan's” right. I don't think he's ever espoused am ideology that wasn't some form of tribal loyalty. See his personal love for Trump which borders on just being sad. “THIS MAN GETS WOMEN!” (One is left to wonder why he prioritizes this in a political leader?)
elcorazon

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 02:33:11 PM »

Funny you call this winning, I call it our generations Jimmy Carter.
Carter was Abraham Lincoln compared to Trump
Thomas Jackson
ghostmonkey

Political Matrix
E: 8.77, S: 8.79

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 02:35:20 PM »

Deluded never-Trumper actually. In some respects, these kind are worse than far-left liberals.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 02:35:36 PM »

Angel of Death
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 02:36:36 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 02:38:16 PM »

Deluded never-Trumper actually. In some respects, these kind are worse than far-left liberals.

Says the Pennsylvanian with a confederate general's name.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2017, 02:41:19 PM »

The thing I enjoy the most is that you need my vote to succeed more in the next four to eight years to achieve what you want more than I need your vote.

Because I'm willing to let the current Republican Party burn down to protect it from you people and I know, safely, gleefully so, that the Party will have to reconstitute itself in my general direction, not the alt-right. The Never Trumpers are helping to cripple the Trump White House and may have contributed to his popular vote loss, which hurt his legitimacy. (We certainly lost that battle but we're draining oxygen and energy from Trump, everyday).

So no, not deluded. Gloriously self-confident that in the next 4-12 years, your side of the Republican Party will be burned to the ground and the ashes salted and you'll need votes like me as the flames engulf your movement.

And I will be doing this:

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 02:42:22 PM »

ACA Repeal will be his first major legislative victory...five months after he was inaugurated. By this point, Obama had passed a trillion dollar stimulus and George W. Bush had passed the largest tax cut of all time. It's very unclear whether he'll get another legislative victory out of this Congress.

In GDP terms EGTRRA was not even close to the largest tax cut of all time. In terms of dollars that would not be true either. That would be 2012.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies