Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 11, 2017, 04:37:37 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Individual Politics (Moderators: Alcon, Torie, AndrewTX)
| | |-+  Iran vs North Korea
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: Where would you rather live?
Iran   -59 (93.7%)
North Korea   -4 (6.3%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Iran vs North Korea  (Read 437 times)
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2017, 01:44:20 pm »
Ignore

Where would you rather live?
A Strange Reflection
Antonio V
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 02:24:40 pm »
Ignore

Iran easily (sane).

"In the end, the world we live in is in darkness."
"That's why... we seek the light."

Noir, episode 26
coloniac
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 02:36:40 pm »
Ignore

Iran no contest
Santander
YaBB God
Russian Federation

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 5.39

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 02:37:55 pm »
Ignore

Iran (not Runeghost)

Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 04:07:30 pm »
Ignore

Iran (not Runeghost)

"America now is stumbling through the darkness of hatred and divisiveness. Our values, our principles, and our determination to succeed as a free and democratic people will give us a torch to light the way." - Gerald Ford

"Good speech and good looks covers man's every vice. Plain speech and plain looks covers man's every virtue."

Economic: 1.38
Social: -2.36
Caripace Clavicle Moundshroud
ShadowOfTheWave
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 04:09:51 pm »
Ignore

Iran easily (sane).
Siren
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 04:16:23 pm »
Ignore

This is such a GOP question.

Harry S Truman, GM
Harry S Truman
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 05:00:15 pm »
Ignore

Iran (duh)

Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 10:31:57 am »
Ignore

Are you so deluded by Fox News propaganda that you think Iran is a totalitarian hellhole?

They who have put out the people's eyes, reproach them of their blindness.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 10:43:26 am »
Ignore

Are you so deluded by Fox News propaganda that you think Iran is a totalitarian hellhole?
Are you so deluded to think Iran is an American or Westerner's paradise? Just ask Jason Rezaian, Robert Levinson, Saaed Abedini, and Amir Hekmati how glorious it is.
King Jellybean
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 11:20:33 am »
Ignore

So being ruthlessly oppressed vs. being ruthlessly oppressed and eventually being eventually killed?

I think in Iran, its probably easier to survive. It might not even be as poor as NK.

13 Then people brought little children to him, for him to lay his hands on them and pray. The disciples scolded them,

14 but Jesus said, 'Let the little children alone, and do not stop them from coming to me; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of Heaven belongs.'

15 Then he laid his hands on them and went on his way.
L.D. Smith, Aggie! It's Real Expenses Again
MormDem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 03:50:01 pm »
Ignore

Iran by far.

Atlas PM Score:

S: 3.7
E: -7.4
TDAS04
YaBB God
Nepal

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 05:42:40 pm »
Ignore

It's far easier to live somewhat normally in Iran.

Economic:  -2.71
Social:  -5.74
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 06:45:02 pm »
Ignore

probably easier to hide/escape in Iran, so that one.

Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, ‘cause I've worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time.
Representative Illiniwek
Governor Illiniwek
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 07:36:36 pm »
Ignore

MATTROSE94
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -2.43

P P

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 08:14:57 pm »
Ignore

Easily Iran. Had I been alive between 1953 and 1978 however, I would have picked North Korea, as living in Iran under the Shah was akin to hell on Earth.

Memo to Ross: YOU GOT MAIL !!

LOL.

Angry Iranian women will make the country safe-MDP from here on out.
DavidB.
YaBB God
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: 1.65

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 08:17:26 pm »
Ignore

Had I been alive between 1953 and 1978 however, I would have picked North Korea, as living in Iran under the Shah was akin to hell on Earth.
lmao

"If our country says no, it means no. No in referendums on the European Union. No in discussions on immigration. No to ever-increasing bureaucracy. Alas. (...) All of the Netherlands can say #metoo, considering what the party cartel has inflicted upon us all."
- Thierry Baudet (FvD)
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 08:22:28 pm »
Ignore

Easily Iran. Had I been alive between 1953 and 1978 however, I would have picked North Korea, as living in Iran under the Shah was akin to hell on Earth.
google "Iran in the 70s" and please come back with your thoughts

(I'm not arguing it was heaven on Earth either, just so we're clear)

Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, ‘cause I've worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time.
MATTROSE94
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 08:38:03 pm »
Ignore

google "Iran in the 70s" and please come back with your thoughts

(I'm not arguing it was heaven on Earth either, just so we're clear)
I am close friends with a 25 year old Iranian American woman (hopefilully more than friends in the near future if I play my cards right) whose parents lived in Iran until the early 1980s. My friends mother was active in the anti-Shah student movement at Tehran University (though she is not that religious at all) and described to me the crimes that the Shah committed against the Iranian people from the early 1950s until the late 1970s. Organizations such as SAVAK controlled nearly every aspect of Iranian society and ruthlessly dealt with any dissent. Freedom of speech, press freedom, and political freedom were non-existent and Iran had around 100,000 political prisoners by 1976. Additionally, security forces loyal to the Shah routinely fired upon innocent civilians who were unconnected to political activities. I am not saying that Iran is a perfect place today, but it is apparent that the political situation in Iran has improved overall since the 1978-79 Revolution.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 08:46:27 pm by MATTROSE94 »Logged

LOL.

Santander
YaBB God
Russian Federation

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 5.39

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 08:47:43 pm »
Ignore

... and how exactly was North Korea under Kim Il Sung better?

MATTROSE94
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2017, 08:56:05 pm »
Ignore

Iran ranked lower in terms of human rights and political freedom when compared to North Korea in Freedom House rankings from the 1970s. Iran at the time actually had the lowest level of freedom in the world and the situation was so dire in the country that authoritarian countries such as the Soviet Union, Cuba, and North Korea expressed concern for the human rights situation in Iran before international bodies such as the UN.

LOL.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2017, 09:35:03 pm »
Ignore

Iran ranked lower in terms of human rights and political freedom when compared to North Korea in Freedom House rankings from the 1970s. Iran at the time actually had the lowest level of freedom in the world and
That's not how I'm reading it
link to spread sheet with the deets
yr-Political Rights/Civil Liberties (lower is better)
Iran
72-5/6 (same as Spain! Yeah Franco!)
73-5/6
74-6/6
75-6/6
76-6/5
77-5/5
78-5/5

The Norks had solid 7s in that time frame.  But maybe I'm reading it wrong?  They  certainly were not the worst in the world.
the situation was so dire in the country that authoritarian countries such as the Soviet Union, Cuba, and North Korea expressed concern for the human rights situation in Iran before international bodies such as the UN.
in the same way the UN claims Israel is the worst human rights abuser.  It's very common for horrible countries to point their fingers at others.  Like people who cheat always assume everybody else, especially their significant other, is too. 

FYI, Cuba was rockin' 7s, just like the Norks were, and the Soviets were almost as free as Iran with 6s.

MATTROSE94
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 06:37:55 am »
Ignore

Iran ranked lower in terms of human rights and political freedom when compared to North Korea in Freedom House rankings from the 1970s. Iran at the time actually had the lowest level of freedom in the world and
That's not how I'm reading it
link to spread sheet with the deets
yr-Political Rights/Civil Liberties (lower is better)
Iran
72-5/6 (same as Spain! Yeah Franco!)
73-5/6
74-6/6
75-6/6
76-6/5
77-5/5
78-5/5

The Norks had solid 7s in that time frame.  But maybe I'm reading it wrong?  They  certainly were not the worst in the world.
the situation was so dire in the country that authoritarian countries such as the Soviet Union, Cuba, and North Korea expressed concern for the human rights situation in Iran before international bodies such as the UN.
in the same way the UN claims Israel is the worst human rights abuser.  It's very common for horrible countries to point their fingers at others.  Like people who cheat always assume everybody else, especially their significant other, is too. 

FYI, Cuba was rockin' 7s, just like the Norks were, and the Soviets were almost as free as Iran with 6s.
Maybe I was wrong in saying that North Korea had a better human rights record than Iran during the 1970s, but the Shah of Iran was still a bloodthirsty puppet dictator who slaughtered his people in high numbers, stole resources that solely belonged to the Iranian people, and only cared for himself at the expense of everyone else. Say what you like about Iran under the leadership of Ayatollah Khamenei, but at least today the Iranian government doesn't go on mass killings without provocation, allows for some level of political freedom, looks out for the poor and vulnerable members of society, and, most importantly, is not a puppet of nations hostile to its interests such as Israel, the US, and the U.K.  The Iranian government today is also at the forefront of standing up for the rights of oppressed groups in the Middle East such as Shi'a Muslims and the Palestinian people.

LOL.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2017, 07:28:01 am »
Ignore

Maybe I was wrong in saying that North Korea had a better human rights record than Iran during the 1970s, but the Shah of Iran was still a bloodthirsty puppet dictator who slaughtered his people in high numbers, stole resources that solely belonged to the Iranian people, and only cared for himself at the expense of everyone else.
yet they still had better human rights record than today, and yet...
Say what you like about Iran under the leadership of Ayatollah Khamenei, but at least today the Iranian government doesn't go on mass killings without provocation,
Right, now they only murder gays, Jews and anybody that protests....but hey, they were provoked, so it's ok.
allows for some level of political freedom, looks out for the poor and vulnerable members of society, and, most importantly, is not a puppet of nations hostile to its interests such as Israel, the US, and the U.K.
the fact that you think THAT is the most important is very telling.
The Iranian government today is also at the forefront of standing up for the rights of oppressed groups in the Middle East such as Shi'a Muslims and the Palestinian people.
awesome..and really, they are pretty typical in their horribleness in the region.  A little better than Syria or S.Arabia...a little worse than Iraq or Oman.

Don't get me wrong, the Shah sucked and we were wrong to back him...but he wasn't as bad as bearded clerics running the place since.

MATTROSE94
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2017, 04:43:27 pm »
Ignore

Maybe I was wrong in saying that North Korea had a better human rights record than Iran during the 1970s, but the Shah of Iran was still a bloodthirsty puppet dictator who slaughtered his people in high numbers, stole resources that solely belonged to the Iranian people, and only cared for himself at the expense of everyone else.
yet they still had better human rights record than today, and yet...
Say what you like about Iran under the leadership of Ayatollah Khamenei, but at least today the Iranian government doesn't go on mass killings without provocation,
Right, now they only murder gays, Jews and anybody that protests....but hey, they were provoked, so it's ok.
allows for some level of political freedom, looks out for the poor and vulnerable members of society, and, most importantly, is not a puppet of nations hostile to its interests such as Israel, the US, and the U.K.
the fact that you think THAT is the most important is very telling.
The Iranian government today is also at the forefront of standing up for the rights of oppressed groups in the Middle East such as Shi'a Muslims and the Palestinian people.
awesome..and really, they are pretty typical in their horribleness in the region.  A little better than Syria or S.Arabia...a little worse than Iraq or Oman.

Don't get me wrong, the Shah sucked and we were wrong to back him...but he wasn't as bad as bearded clerics running the place since.
Nearly all of the information regarding Iran in the media is little more than propaganda that is meant to encourage the American people to support an unjust and imperialist war against Iran. The Iranian government has not killed innocent people since the late 1980s, is respectful and tolerant towards other religions, and is arguably one of the only functioning democracies in the Middle East. I am also strongly anti-Zionist, anti-Saudi, and pro-Shi'a, so I agree with nearly all of the positions that the Iranian government takes.

LOL.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout