What are thoughts on Jim Himes (D-PA) on a 2020 ticket...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:18:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  What are thoughts on Jim Himes (D-PA) on a 2020 ticket...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are thoughts on Jim Himes (D-PA) on a 2020 ticket...  (Read 1954 times)
SCNCmod

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 26, 2017, 08:20:56 PM »
« edited: June 26, 2017, 10:51:49 PM by SCNCmod »

What are thoughts on Jim Himes (D-CT) on a 2020 ticket?  I do not know much about his political stances... but seems to be fairly progressive.  Himes seems like someone who has a good combo of Charismatic & Honest Demeanor.  

Also appears to have an impressive resume... Harvard/ Rhodes Scholar... Spent early years in South America where his Father worked for Ford Foundation & late UNICEF, good age (50), telegenic, etc.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 09:07:35 PM »

Pretty sure that he represents CT-04, not PA-04.
houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 09:15:56 PM »

He's CT-04, and a former Goldman Sachs banker from Greenwich is not gonna be in the White House any day soon, come on now.

Good guy and I think he has surprisingly high crossover appeal, but wouldn't make it through a Democratic primary and would be toxic to the base on a ticket.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 09:51:34 PM »

He's CT-04, and a former Goldman Sachs banker from Greenwich is not gonna be in the White House any day soon, come on now.

Good guy and I think he has surprisingly high crossover appeal, but wouldn't make it through a Democratic primary and would be toxic to the base on a ticket.

Phil Murphy is probably not going to be on the Democratic ticket (NJ) in the future either.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 09:52:56 PM »

Himes would be a good VP, for a Southerner or a Westerner. He'd bring a Northeastern centrism to a uber-leftist.

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 10:38:39 PM »

Isn't Himes clearly angling for House leadership, though? I don't think a random unknown House member from a non-competitive state is going to be chosen anytime soon.
SCNCmod

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 10:52:11 PM »

Pretty sure that he represents CT-04, not PA-04.

My Bad... I'm not sure why I typed PA!
SCNCmod

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 10:58:39 PM »

I think its a bad habit... for anyone who has worked as an Investment Banker to automatically be painted with the evil brush by Progressives (not saying that you personally are doing this... as I agree that would not be a feather in his cap) But I wish the far left would correct the bad habit of painting anyone who has worked for Goldman Sachs with such a broad brush... whether or not Himes is one that deserves such a painting or not.

On a similar note.. I thought it was interesting ... how well the Dem Candidate in the recent SC special election did, considering he is an ex- Goldman Sachs guys (or one of the big Investment Banks).
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 07:16:49 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2017, 07:27:17 PM by Angry Socdem »

Bump. This should be an interesting discussion thread to watch.

I think its a bad habit... for anyone who has worked as an Investment Banker to automatically be painted with the evil brush by Progressives

Maybe it's because investment bankers shouldn't be part of the left-wing party? This is common sense, it's like if a Republican congressman was a former labor union organizer.

Anyway, even if he weren't a former Goldman Sachs executive, he's still the chair of the New Democrat coalition. He represents a lot of what I hate about the Democratic Party - fiscally conservative socially liberal elites on the coast who think they're "progressive" by being pro-choice and pro-gay - as he continues to propagate the cancer of Third-Way-ism. Massive HP.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 07:27:07 PM »

Himes wants a better leadership position like DCCC chair, not a ticket spot.
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 08:14:46 PM »

Bump. This should be an interesting discussion thread to watch.

I think its a bad habit... for anyone who has worked as an Investment Banker to automatically be painted with the evil brush by Progressives

Maybe it's because investment bankers shouldn't be part of the left-wing party? This is common sense, it's like if a Republican congressman was a former labor union organizer.

Anyway, even if he weren't a former Goldman Sachs executive, he's still the chair of the New Democrat coalition. He represents a lot of what I hate about the Democratic Party - fiscally conservative socially liberal elites on the coast who think they're "progressive" by being pro-choice and pro-gay - as he continues to propagate the cancer of Third-Way-ism. Massive HP.

As someone who lives in his district he is a good rep which is all I care about. Considering hes our first dem rep since 1969....
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 09:05:10 PM »

Honestly he should run for Governor of CT, but he isn't.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 10:22:42 PM »

Who?
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 10:23:26 PM »

PoliticalJunkie23
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 09:14:05 AM »

I actually used to live in his district, and have met him before. He seems like a decent guy and has some pretty funny Tweets, but the progressives would hate him. He's a center left former Goldman Sachs banker who represents a wealthy coastal district. The progressives want the Democratic Party to be 100% progressive, and would kick and scream if he was the VP nominee, even on a Bernie Sanders or Tulsi Gabbard ticket. He belongs in the House.
SamTilden2020

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 05:58:24 PM »

Well if people on the forum can go nuts about Jason Freaking Kander being a top tier candidate, all Dems in congress can be on the table.

Seriously though, if Himes can make a name for himself soon, he may have a shot...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies