Wapo: New Study on seattle minimum wage is bad news for liberals (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:50:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Wapo: New Study on seattle minimum wage is bad news for liberals (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wapo: New Study on seattle minimum wage is bad news for liberals  (Read 1916 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« on: June 27, 2017, 03:05:46 PM »

Didn't  this study basically a "control" out of its ass?

That's how synthetic controls work. It's a pretty common and recognized method for studying discrete policy changes. The methodology is pretty solid.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 03:33:12 PM »

The federal government should subsidize the minimum wage increase to $12 - $15 so it doesn't hurt small businesses or cut jobs like this.

Solved

Or we could just scrap the minimum wage and implement an NIT. It would be far more efficient and solve the same problem.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 03:37:14 PM »

The federal government should subsidize the minimum wage increase to $12 - $15 so it doesn't hurt small businesses or cut jobs like this.

Solved

Or we could just scrap the minimum wage and implement an NIT. It would be far more efficient and solve the same problem.

NIT?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_income_tax
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 09:01:22 AM »
« Edited: June 28, 2017, 09:38:38 AM by RI »

Christ, there's a lot of ignorance of academic economics is this thread.

It is not peer reviewed & I don't why it should even be discussed. Forget the good aspects,non-peer reviewed studies are largely considered junk in the academic world!

This is so incredibly wrong it makes my head hurt. Working papers (especially NBER working papers, which this was) are the most commonly discussed and covered type of economic paper, mostly due to the fact that they tend to be very high quality and publishing in economics takes forever. From the time a paper is done being written to publication can take years in economics; journals take forever even on the most basic desk rejection. Econ working papers are often better than the published versions of the same paper and receive more citations. Further, econ isn't the only field where working papers are the lingua franca; math and many of the hard sciences use extensive commenting on working papers through arXiv and the like.

Also, can't two different study methodologies (both reasonable in their own right) just produce different results?  Below the author of the Berkley study critiques the UW methodology.  Though I'm sure both could agree to disagree.

http://irle.berkeley.edu/files/2017/Reich-letter-to-Robert-Feldstein.pdf

I think I once remember reading a quote that was something like "You can get an economist to find any conclusion you like".  I'm sure there are so many conservative groups out there that could sponsor a study that shows Seattle is doomed.  

University academic studies produce conflicting results all the time.  It's kind of hard to make clear cut determinations of which one is "right" and which is "wrong".

The UW paper is clearly superior to the Berkeley paper given that UW replicated Berkeley's results and then showed why they painted an incomplete picture of the situation. UW simply had better data than Berkeley; their methodologies were barely any different! Berkeley's hemming and hawing is the academic equivalent of being a sore loser.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies