MA-WBUR: Baker holds wide leads over all Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:53:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  MA-WBUR: Baker holds wide leads over all Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: MA-WBUR: Baker holds wide leads over all Democrats  (Read 3196 times)
McGovernForPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2017, 04:33:00 PM »

Any chance a conservative Independent candidate runs and gains traction?
The Trump comparisons will be way too large to overcome. MA conservatives will be happy to have any Republican in office. Baker is too popular for a non-Democrat to even consider wasting their time with a run.

PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2017, 05:01:32 PM »

The Trump comparisons will be way too large to overcome. MA conservatives will be happy to have any Republican in office. Baker is too popular for a non-Democrat to even consider wasting their time with a run.

An independent conservative may be the only way a Democrat can defeat Baker.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2017, 02:17:09 AM »

Democrats have their work cut out for them trying to defeat Baker, but it won't be due to an independent conservative run. The only way Democrats can defeat Baker is by channeling their anti-Trump energy. Progressive energy in MA is at a fever pitch. The Democratic nominee will need to channel that energy. They need to rack up the margins in the greater Boston area and Western Mass. Despite Baker's popularity his type are the first to go in wave election years.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2017, 08:58:32 AM »

I hope not. Baker is great
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2017, 10:10:12 AM »

Democrats have their work cut out for them trying to defeat Baker, but it won't be due to an independent conservative run. The only way Democrats can defeat Baker is by channeling their anti-Trump energy. Progressive energy in MA is at a fever pitch. The Democratic nominee will need to channel that energy. They need to rack up the margins in the greater Boston area and Western Mass. Despite Baker's popularity his type are the first to go in wave election years.

The dems would have to rack up huge wins in Boston and Metro West to outweigh the South Shore, North Shore, and Worcester County. One thing I'll be looking for will be were trump's gains in Western Mass and the Fall River-New Bedford area a one off thing or part of a larger trend. Also, are the wealthy towns like Hingham, Cohasset, Boxford, and Westwood gone or just anti trump
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2017, 10:10:45 AM »

Baker isn't nearly as safe as people on here think he is, but he is favored for now. The difference between the various Democrats is probably name recognition at this point.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2017, 10:13:39 AM »

The dems would have to rack up huge wins in Boston and Metro West to outweigh the South Shore, North Shore, and Worcester County. One thing I'll be looking for will be were trump's gains in Western Mass and the Fall River-New Bedford area a one off thing or part of a larger trend. Also, are the wealthy towns like Hingham, Cohasset, Boxford, and Westwood gone or just anti trump

I mean, Baker already did (slightly) better than Trump in Western Mass in 2014. The question is, does he simply hold that (because the region is polarized, and not really worth heavily campaigning in) or does he make massive gains there?
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2017, 11:32:13 AM »

I might not know Massachusetts politics as you, so correct me if I'm wrong. To me, Charlie Baker looks a lot like where Jodi Rell in Connecticut was before the 2006 election. She had around a 70% approval rating, and was reelected in a landslide. Plus, Conneceticut, like Massachusetts, loves their moderate Republican governors.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2017, 01:01:37 PM »

I might not know Massachusetts politics as you, so correct me if I'm wrong. To me, Charlie Baker looks a lot like where Jodi Rell in Connecticut was before the 2006 election. She had around a 70% approval rating, and was reelected in a landslide. Plus, Conneceticut, like Massachusetts, loves their moderate Republican governors.
MA is not nearly similar to Connecticut in our propensity to elect republicans. Connecticut was considered a Republican stronghold up until 1992. Before the election Connecticut held three Republican House seats, all three of which lost in narrow races. Connecticut still had many vestigial arms of their old republican party back in 2006. If anything a much better comparison could be made between Bill Weld and Jodi Rell than Charlie Baker. The largest complaint I've seen with Baker from people in MA is literally that he calls himself a Republican. I know many people who won't vote for Baker solely on the fact that he identifies himself with the same party as Trump. In polarized politics the first ones to go are the moderates.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2017, 03:29:32 PM »

I do think RGA should focus on FL, WI, and other true battlegrounds like that more than MA and MD, but they shouldn't abandon them completely.  However, FL, WI, and others are key to keep a gubernatorial majority.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2017, 03:58:26 PM »

And you, as a Democrat, like him because...?

no
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2017, 05:18:06 PM »

Honestly the debate around Baker here is a little ridiculous. Most MA Democrats like him. It's easy to like and respect a non batsh**t crazy theocrat. I might vote for him depending on the Democratic nominee. Lot's of Democrats respect him but might not want him in office. The Baker administration has had a challenging past couple of months and people might easily end up wanting a change up. Right now he's trying to push big medicaid cuts and that's making me a little uneasy about reelecting him. The state budgetary crisis is the type of thing people usually vote for Republicans to avoid around here. It's not a good look for his fiscal conservatism.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2017, 05:58:35 PM »

I hope not. Baker is great

This

Also, the RGA shouldn't put as much resources into MA, MD, and VT, as they would into WI, MI, FL, PA, and AK, but they should not abandon them.  Also, with IL Rauner doesn't need money but if they can help him in any other way I seriously hope they do, he can make a much larger impact on Redistricting than Baker or Hogan could if he wins reelection.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2017, 08:34:43 PM »

Hell, yeah he is. Teaches at my university. Super chill dude.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2017, 10:53:16 PM »

Hypothetically, could he beat the unbeatable Baker?
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2017, 11:56:10 PM »

Hypothetically, could he beat the unbeatable Baker?
Hypothetically maybe, but he's honestly just such a kooky old guy now. It seems like his biggest political complaint now is about the new building that's gonna cast a shadow on the Boston Commons during his morning his morning walk.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2017, 04:49:23 AM »

I'm assuming you hope Baker loses with a conservative independent splitting the vite, right, because why else would you ask that? I don't know why you seem to root against blue state Republicans when they're the best that can happen in those states

Nah, I'm fine with all of them (except Sununu, who really needs to go), I just couldn't care less if they lost or not. I'd probably hold my nose and vote for Baker if the race was close and Third Party otherwise. The thing is... these guys can't even do anything about redistricting in their state because the legislature is so overwhelmingly Democratic. Also, I'm generally not a fan of liberal Rockefeller Republicans.

If the race tightens, Republicans shouldn't really waste too much (if any) money here and rather focus on the important races like FL, PA and WI.

What's your problem with Sununu? As a Bay Stater who spends half the year in the Granite State, I'm a big fan of both Charlie and Chris. Both embody the compassionate conservatism of 2000 George W. Bush with the political realities of 2017.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2017, 10:39:16 AM »

I'm assuming you hope Baker loses with a conservative independent splitting the vite, right, because why else would you ask that? I don't know why you seem to root against blue state Republicans when they're the best that can happen in those states

Nah, I'm fine with all of them (except Sununu, who really needs to go), I just couldn't care less if they lost or not. I'd probably hold my nose and vote for Baker if the race was close and Third Party otherwise. The thing is... these guys can't even do anything about redistricting in their state because the legislature is so overwhelmingly Democratic. Also, I'm generally not a fan of liberal Rockefeller Republicans.

If the race tightens, Republicans shouldn't really waste too much (if any) money here and rather focus on the important races like FL, PA and WI.

What's your problem with Sununu? As a Bay Stater who spends half the year in the Granite State, I'm a big fan of both Charlie and Chris. Both embody the compassionate conservatism of 2000 George W. Bush with the political realities of 2017.
He has this weird dream for NH to be an all blue state for some reason. Thinks it's shifted blue for good.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2017, 07:13:44 PM »

Here is where I'm torn. I'm a Moderate Dem meaning I usually vote Dem but if a race features a practical pragmatic sensible republican and a radically liberal Dem, I can occasionally vote for the other party. Baker is a perfect candidate for that. I like a lot of what he has done so far. The one thing I don't like though is a big issue for me at the state level: Mass transit, Boston metro has an expansive mass transit system but it needs upgrades all around and there are 2 desperately needed projects (NSRL, Red/Blue connector) and 3 more that are close to desperate (Blue to Lynn, Seaport line, Orange extension) and he has all but declared those projects dead as long as he's in office (Even when he has been lobbied by former GOP governor Bill Weld to support it) and there in lies the dilemma for me. Setti Warren has promised right from jump street these projects will be built. I'll probably vote Baker but on infrastructure, he's a mess.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies