A return for the Mock Parliament?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:53:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  A return for the Mock Parliament?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A return for the Mock Parliament?  (Read 1081 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2017, 04:17:51 PM »

Evening!

As some of you know, I’ve suspended my participation on other games due to my personal struggle against a rather harsh depression (and a prolonged university strike). Thankfully, that has been improving with time, allowing me to rethink some ideas and return to an ambitious project that has been growing in my head for the past time.

The return of the Mock Parliament.

Despite the latest iteration (South America) not being the success it could have been, I think the potential for a parliamentary game is still there (one that focuses both on elections and governances), and so I am seriously considering hosting such a game as the Main GM (aided by others who are willing). I’ve already developed some tentative ideas, such as:

Setting: Based either on the United Kingdom (2017 or a previous era) or, my personal preference, an alternate history Imperial Federation (combining the UK with other countries like Canada or Australia).

Gameplay: An Election Phase (lasting two weeks for every General Election) and a Government Phase (in which every RL month = a year in the game), with players fighting to become the government and then deliver in office. Elections would be simulated by the GM, to present a different system than Atlasia and give full importance to campaigns and external factors.

And there’s other ideas in store as well.

The question being, would people be interested in such a game?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 04:35:40 PM »

I'd have interest
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 05:02:38 PM »

I'd be up for it.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 05:12:12 PM »

I'm in!
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 06:21:52 PM »

I'm interested as well.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 07:28:08 PM »

The big problem (as I saw it) with the last game was the lack of things to do for backbencher, opposition MPs, and (most of all) regular voters which killed involvement. With a government potentially lasting 4 or 5 months, what are your ideas for keeping those groups invested?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 07:40:25 PM »

The big problem (as I saw it) with the last game was the lack of things to do for backbencher, opposition MPs, and (most of all) regular voters which killed involvement. With a government potentially lasting 4 or 5 months, what are your ideas for keeping those groups invested?

I'm looking into suggestions for that, of course (a lot depends on the player base though, I don't see it being too large), but among other ideas I plan on allowing the Opposition to present legislation as well (rather than monolithic control of Parliament), running for devolved governments (if a large enough player base), entrusting players with key newspapers (with a considerable effect on public opinion or polling), or, if necessary, giving crises for people to respond and react.

Since this game is intended to run with simulated elections (and not with vote via player base), then consecuences for not acting or acting badly would be greater, thus (I think) promoting activity from the player.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 08:32:18 PM »

I like these ideas, Lumine. I'd probably be down to have some role in this.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 03:37:11 PM »

I'm looking into suggestions for that, of course (a lot depends on the player base though, I don't see it being too large), but among other ideas I plan on allowing the Opposition to present legislation as well (rather than monolithic control of Parliament), running for devolved governments (if a large enough player base), entrusting players with key newspapers (with a considerable effect on public opinion or polling), or, if necessary, giving crises for people to respond and react.

Since this game is intended to run with simulated elections (and not with vote via player base), then consecuences for not acting or acting badly would be greater, thus (I think) promoting activity from the player.

One suggestion is to limit the possibility of super-majorities; if the government is having to rely on a coalitions/minorities governments then the game would be much more interesting (if not stressful for the govt)

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 04:53:09 PM »

One suggestion is to limit the possibility of super-majorities; if the government is having to rely on a coalitions/minorities governments then the game would be much more interesting (if not stressful for the govt)

Aye, I'm also considering a proportional electoral system instead of FPTP, that would make the issue more engaging.

I think I can press forward with this, perhaps only starting with the party leaders but expanding the game it it works and more people come forward.

The big issue for me is the setting. Too exotic and soon we're lost in world-building, too familiar and some say it might get boring. I like the Imperial Federation concept, but I fear it's too ambitious for now (it might be implemented if a round of Mock Parliament works), and while I could also have us roleplay the British elections like 2010 or 2015 that might also get too familiar.

Now, if people don't mind a version of RL Britain (perhaps one in which the electoral system changed in 2011) then I happy to go forward with that, but the setting question is the one that proves most complicated for me.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 05:04:50 AM »

Aye, I'm also considering a proportional electoral system instead of FPTP, that would make the issue more engaging.

I think I can press forward with this, perhaps only starting with the party leaders but expanding the game it it works and more people come forward.

The big issue for me is the setting. Too exotic and soon we're lost in world-building, too familiar and some say it might get boring. I like the Imperial Federation concept, but I fear it's too ambitious for now (it might be implemented if a round of Mock Parliament works), and while I could also have us roleplay the British elections like 2010 or 2015 that might also get too familiar.

Now, if people don't mind a version of RL Britain (perhaps one in which the electoral system changed in 2011) then I happy to go forward with that, but the setting question is the one that proves most complicated for me.

How about one where Labour won the 2010 election, but are beginning to collapse under infighting between the centre and the left?
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 09:19:54 AM »

I'd be interested, depending on the scenario.
CMB222
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 12:56:23 PM »

This is a great idea and one I'd love to join.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 03:37:53 PM »

Okay, I've reached quite a few decisions. Since this is an experimental round it will be limited in scale and familiar in setting, based on the United Kingdom.

The background will be worked in some extra detail, but basically it will be that a less successful Conservative performance in 2010 leads to a Labour-Lib Dem coalition government, which then goes onto allow a successful referendum in 2011 to change the voting system (to a proportional one). The Lib Dems then pull the plug in 2012, and the UK goes to its first General Election under a new electoral system.

Therefore, we will begin playing the 2012 General Election in a campaign setting, and once we have a parliament the game will shift to the government or policy mode. Game roles will be:

Monarch (either by me as GM or if a player wants to be Elizabeth)

Speaker (after a parliament is arranged, players can present themselves for speaker)

Newspaper Editors (players can claim influential newspapers like the Telegraph, the Guardian, the Sun, etc, their editorials or attacks influencing public opinion)

Party Leaders (the more crucial ones for the election)

Party Members (you can also play as influential frontbenchers or politicians who are not party leaders, and attempt to climb the ladder)

Devolved Governments (later on and if there's interest, we can roleplay the regional politics of Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales)

All in all the game starts with a historical background (you'll have to choose historical figures), but as we move to the future things will loosen up. The idea is for the game to retain a semblance of realism, but not to go overboard and make it too strict to be fun.

I’ll open up a thread for sign-ups.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies