Who would Jeff Merkley pick as his VP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:57:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Who would Jeff Merkley pick as his VP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who would Jeff Merkley pick as his VP?  (Read 1073 times)
Kylar
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2017, 04:26:04 PM »

Let's say Senator Jeffrey Alan Merkley of Oregon runs for President and gets the nomination. He would be 63, and from Oregon, and Lutheran-ELCA.
Who would he pick as his Vice President?
Personally I would say one of these III
I. Seth Moulton-Massachusetts, 41 in 2020, Christian, military experience.
II. Martin Heinrich-New Mexico-New Mexico, 49 in 2020, Lutheran, moderate.
III. Catherine Masto-Nevada, 53 in 2020, from swing state
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 04:56:08 PM »

Of those three, I'd say Masto is the likeliest. Even then, though, that would make an all-Western ticket, which may not be very viable in a general election. Moulton wouldn't be bad, but I don't think having two straight, Christian, white guys on the ticket isn't going to do much excite the Democratic base. I think Tammy Baldwin would be a good fit for Merkley.
Kringla Heimsins
France

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 05:09:58 PM »

Amy Klobuchar would be a good pick. Woman, from the Midwest/Rust Belt, moderate but not repulsive to either minorities or populists, has foreign policy experience.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 06:11:09 PM »

Booker. Duckworth would be a great choice as well.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 01:28:53 AM »

Shavar Jeffries(if he's elected Mayor), Anthony Foxx, Ivy Taylor, or Kevin Johnson would be good picks.
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 01:31:08 AM »

Why Booker?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 03:17:31 AM »

Someone like Amy Klobuchar or Tammy Duckworth.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 07:10:34 PM »

Shavar Jeffries(if he's elected Mayor), Anthony Foxx, Ivy Taylor, or Kevin Johnson would be good picks.

lol noooooooooooooooo
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 07:15:33 PM »

Oh wow. I've forgotten all about Duckworth - she could be the Democrats' ace in the hole.

Unless she gets Cleland'd.
BushKerry04

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 07:41:59 PM »

Let's say Senator Jeffrey Alan Merkley of Oregon runs for President and gets the nomination. He would be 63, and from Oregon, and Lutheran-ELCA.
Who would he pick as his Vice President?
Personally I would say one of these III
I. Seth Moulton-Massachusetts, 41 in 2020, Christian, military experience.
II. Martin Heinrich-New Mexico-New Mexico, 49 in 2020, Lutheran, moderate.
III. Catherine Masto-Nevada, 53 in 2020, from swing state

III.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 07:45:39 PM »

He needs someone from the center. Governor Gwen Graham?
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 07:56:29 PM »

Lorne Armstrong (D-ME)
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 08:35:25 PM »

He needs someone from the center. Governor Gwen Graham?
I feel like she might move away from the center during the election season, but regardless, if elected, she would carry FL for Merkley probably (assuming he wouldn't win it on his own, which he could)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 09:01:44 PM »

lol noooooooooooooooo

Why? Because of his ties to education reform or the dog whistle allegations of sexual assault?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 02:34:44 PM »

lol noooooooooooooooo

Why? Because of his ties to education reform or the dog whistle allegations of sexual assault?

Someone who is literally married to the woman who was in the running to be Trump's Education secretary, has faced multiple sexual assault allegations including from a teenage girl, and has a history of using public money and services for the purposes of spreading his own personal brand, should not be anywhere near a Democratic ticket that hopes to win.

Centrism is a hell of a drug.
GGover
BBovine
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: 2.09

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 04:52:02 PM »

Of those three, I'd say Masto is the likeliest. Even then, though, that would make an all-Western ticket, which may not be very viable in a general election. Moulton wouldn't be bad, but I don't think having two straight, Christian, white guys on the ticket isn't going to do much excite the Democratic base. I think Tammy Baldwin would be a good fit for Merkley.
Tammy Baldwin just seems like a good VP for any candidate.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 08:39:01 PM »

Geographic diversity (west coast and east coast balance), ideological diversity (pair a Bernie wing guy with an establishment guy), demographic diversity. Also age balance is good.

Although I'll go ahead and attack my own post and mention that an all coastal ticket would be terrible for Democrats, especially in places like Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, and Pennsylvania.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 08:44:51 PM »

Oh wow. I've forgotten all about Duckworth - she could be the Democrats' ace in the hole.

Unless she gets Cleland'd.

Tammy Duckworth is someone who one would assume is a rising star, based on her background but does get forgotten a lot. The cynical part of me thinks that too many voters wouldn't feel comfortable voting for someone who's so clearly disabled...
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 10:13:33 PM »

Lujan.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 10:42:46 PM »

Probably a woman poc like Cortez-Masto, Harris, etc.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2017, 11:53:39 PM »

Geographic diversity (west coast and east coast balance), ideological diversity (pair a Bernie wing guy with an establishment guy), demographic diversity. Also age balance is good.

Although I'll go ahead and attack my own post and mention that an all coastal ticket would be terrible for Democrats, especially in places like Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, and Pennsylvania.

I think you are right about Coastal Balance (3rd Coast Wink ) on the ticket, so I would imagine either a MidWest or Southerner would make a good choice.

Honestly, I don't think many of y'll on the Forum don't get the extent to which the stereotypes of places like New York, California, and Massachusetts are prevalent in many parts of the Country (And yes I have spent time in all three states, along with (44) other states in the US (Missing Alaska, Hawaii, and Florida)....

If Merkely were somehow to win the Dem Party nomination in 2020 (Extremely unlikely but who knows), I believe Political Geography should be the key element of selection, and then start running down the lists of the top-tier candidates within those regions....

I have no fear of Trump expanding his margins in New York State, Mass, RI, CT, CA, etc....

The reality is that he will be able to capture ME-02 (Much like Southern Oregon), hold NH, perform much better than HRC in PA.

Do Dems need to really chase the pipe dreams of AZ, GA, and even TX or let time take their course? Better to pivot hard in the MidWest and focus "on the economy stupid", slam Trump on his Achilles Heel.

Trump's appeal was ultimately based upon a half-baked vision of economic Populism, but after the toke wears off, is simply an empty high while all of us working folks are still getting paid crap wages, MNCs are still amassing major profits while we are getting laid off because of "efficiency", and meanwhile massive tax breaks for the Rich get rammed down our throats and our disabled kids and grandparents in nursing homes are virtually forced into the streets....

Better to go with a Midwestern or Southerner in 2020 once Ryan and McConnell's Dystopian dream moves increasingly closer to reality....

#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2017, 09:41:39 AM »

I think you are right about Coastal Balance (3rd Coast Wink ) on the ticket, so I would imagine either a MidWest or Southerner would make a good choice.

Honestly, I don't think many of y'll on the Forum don't get the extent to which the stereotypes of places like New York, California, and Massachusetts are prevalent in many parts of the Country (And yes I have spent time in all three states, along with (44) other states in the US (Missing Alaska, Hawaii, and Florida)....

If Merkely were somehow to win the Dem Party nomination in 2020 (Extremely unlikely but who knows), I believe Political Geography should be the key element of selection, and then start running down the lists of the top-tier candidates within those regions....

I have no fear of Trump expanding his margins in New York State, Mass, RI, CT, CA, etc....

The reality is that he will be able to capture ME-02 (Much like Southern Oregon), hold NH, perform much better than HRC in PA.

Do Dems need to really chase the pipe dreams of AZ, GA, and even TX or let time take their course? Better to pivot hard in the MidWest and focus "on the economy stupid", slam Trump on his Achilles Heel.

Trump's appeal was ultimately based upon a half-baked vision of economic Populism, but after the toke wears off, is simply an empty high while all of us working folks are still getting paid crap wages, MNCs are still amassing major profits while we are getting laid off because of "efficiency", and meanwhile massive tax breaks for the Rich get rammed down our throats and our disabled kids and grandparents in nursing homes are virtually forced into the streets....

Better to go with a Midwestern or Southerner in 2020 once Ryan and McConnell's Dystopian dream moves increasingly closer to reality....

This is a great way of putting my line of thinking into words. Thank you!

I'll add to this that leading economists expect a recession within the next 2-5 years, so an economy focused message would be likely to resonate. If the DNC is smart (and that's a really big if), they'll run on a platform resembling "we know a lot of you are hurting for work, your communities are destroyed and desperate. You took a chance the last election and it didn't work out. Our platform is xyz. It will save your communities because abc."

I know it sounds callous, but voters in rural or exurban Midwestern cities overlooked Trump's social miscues (and I use the term miscue because it's how these voters saw them) they disagreed with them but took a chance anyways since he spoke to their concerns.

I recognize that it wasn't the thrust of your post, but I will say that the idea that Democrats need to choose whether they are economic populists or social warriors is a false one. They can walk and chew gum at the same time. Push an inclusive message on economics AND social issues.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2017, 02:26:11 PM »

lol noooooooooooooooo

Someone who is literally married to the woman who was in the running to be Trump's Education secretary, has faced multiple sexual assault allegations including from a teenage girl, and has a history of using public money and services for the purposes of spreading his own personal brand, should not be anywhere near a Democratic ticket that hopes to win.

Centrism is a hell of a drug.

The dog whistle of sexual assault and allegations suspiciously only appeared when he began campaigning for mayor.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2017, 11:02:24 AM »

Tammy Baldwin just seems like a good VP for any candidate.

Seconded. Midwestern, liked by the progressive wing but not super alienating to moderates.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies