Electoral Map of "People Who Were Born There"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:48:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Electoral Map of "People Who Were Born There"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Electoral Map of "People Who Were Born There"  (Read 1616 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 29, 2017, 08:31:51 AM »

Has anyone ever messed around and tried to hypothesize what these maps might look like? Tongue  A recent conversation about how CO went Republican for so long, but the changes that occurred eventually swung it to the Democrats got me thinking that Trump almost certainly won people who were born in the state of CO, considering how badly he probably lost those who moved in ... it also kind of reminds me of the old "Take Back Vermont" campaign, suggesting maybe George W. Bush might have almost won native Vermont(ites?) in 2000.  Any guesses on how 2016 went for voters who have lived in that state their whole lives?  Would it look different at all?  What about those whose parents were born in that state?

I know this is total guessing, so feel free to move, Mods.  Just thought it'd be interesting for someone more knowledgeable than I am to take a stab at it.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 09:54:32 AM »

Considering that people who went away to college and/or moved to big cities were more likely to support Clinton while people who stayed at home were more likely to support Trump, removing the former means a Trump surge in this map. You're vaporizing a lot of those Republicans in TX-32 and GA-6 who wouldn't vote for Trump, for example.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 10:06:35 AM »
« Edited: June 29, 2017, 10:10:37 AM by Tintrlvr »

Generally speaking, Republicans are going to do much better across the country among people who have never moved (or never moved out of their home state) than Democrats, relatively speaking. The only states where I think this might not be true are Hawaii and New Mexico, plus maybe some of the Deep South as whites tend to be wealthier and thus more mobile than blacks. After all, the Democrats do very well among (i) immigrants and (ii) the highly educated, which are the two groups that are most likely to have born outside of their current state of residence (by definition, in the case of immigrants), everywhere.

I'm curious if anyone has done a map of the results if only natural-born citizens could vote. At a guess, it looks close to as dominant for Trump as the whites-only map.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 11:13:17 AM »

Generally speaking, Republicans are going to do much better across the country among people who have never moved (or never moved out of their home state) than Democrats, relatively speaking. The only states where I think this might not be true are Hawaii and New Mexico, plus maybe some of the Deep South as whites tend to be wealthier and thus more mobile than blacks. After all, the Democrats do very well among (i) immigrants and (ii) the highly educated, which are the two groups that are most likely to have born outside of their current state of residence (by definition, in the case of immigrants), everywhere.

I'm curious if anyone has done a map of the results if only natural-born citizens could vote. At a guess, it looks close to as dominant for Trump as the whites-only map.

I think Democrats' advantages among "the highly educated" is a LITTLE exaggerated.  Yes, Clinton won 58% of them, and that is a very, very solid win ... but that's only 1% more than Trump got with Whites, and we don't talk about White voters as this iron clad Republican group, we just talk about them as a group that leans Republican overall and varies widely by location (as education does, seeing as Republicans win postgrads in several states).  Additionally, I think if you isolated it to Whites with an advanced degree, there would hardly be a Democratic advantage...
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 11:17:06 AM »

I imagine that CO, NV and VA would flip most likely.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 12:36:50 PM »

Has anyone ever messed around and tried to hypothesize what these maps might look like? Tongue  A recent conversation about how CO went Republican for so long, but the changes that occurred eventually swung it to the Democrats got me thinking that Trump almost certainly won people who were born in the state of CO, considering how badly he probably lost those who moved in ... it also kind of reminds me of the old "Take Back Vermont" campaign, suggesting maybe George W. Bush might have almost won native Vermont(ites?) in 2000.  Any guesses on how 2016 went for voters who have lived in that state their whole lives?  Would it look different at all?  What about those whose parents were born in that state?

I know this is total guessing, so feel free to move, Mods.  Just thought it'd be interesting for someone more knowledgeable than I am to take a stab at it.
France has 11 constituencies for citizens living outside France (distinct from the French overseas departments and territories which also have representation), with the electorate based on consulate registrations. They even have voting precincts. For example, one constituency is for French citizens residing in the United States and Canada.

A state could create legislative districts of three types:
(1) Born in the state, but living elsewhere, based on place of residence.
(2) Born out of the state, but living in the state, based on place of birth.
(3) Born in, and living in the state, based on place of residence. There would twice as many districts for these persons.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 01:43:58 PM »

NV would go from 6 to 3 EVs, too.

KY, WV, MS, AL, MI, PA, IA, MO would become relatively stronger in the electoral college and boost Trump.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 02:56:32 PM »

NV would go from 6 to 3 EVs, too.

KY, WV, MS, AL, MI, PA, IA, MO would become relatively stronger in the electoral college and boost Trump.

Why would NV go down in EVs? Non-citizens already count towards apportionment.

Only 25% of Nevada residents were born there.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 05:14:35 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2017, 05:17:24 PM by Tintrlvr »

I think Democrats' advantages among "the highly educated" is a LITTLE exaggerated.  Yes, Clinton won 58% of them, and that is a very, very solid win ... but that's only 1% more than Trump got with Whites, and we don't talk about White voters as this iron clad Republican group, we just talk about them as a group that leans Republican overall and varies widely by location (as education does, seeing as Republicans win postgrads in several states).  Additionally, I think if you isolated it to Whites with an advanced degree, there would hardly be a Democratic advantage...

Trump won nearly every state if only white people voted. That's a big deal. Same goes (in reverse) for the highly educated.

And... what? Are you arguing that people with advanced degrees are disproportionately more minority than people without advanced degrees? That's a pretty rarefied error. In any case, highly educated people of all backgrounds are going to be much more mobile than less educated people of any background.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 08:41:50 AM »

I think Democrats' advantages among "the highly educated" is a LITTLE exaggerated.  Yes, Clinton won 58% of them, and that is a very, very solid win ... but that's only 1% more than Trump got with Whites, and we don't talk about White voters as this iron clad Republican group, we just talk about them as a group that leans Republican overall and varies widely by location (as education does, seeing as Republicans win postgrads in several states).  Additionally, I think if you isolated it to Whites with an advanced degree, there would hardly be a Democratic advantage...

Trump won nearly every state if only white people voted. That's a big deal. Same goes (in reverse) for the highly educated.

And... what? Are you arguing that people with advanced degrees are disproportionately more minority than people without advanced degrees? That's a pretty rarefied error. In any case, highly educated people of all backgrounds are going to be much more mobile than less educated people of any background.

No, I'm saying that if Democrats won only 58% of postgrads, it's probably safe to assume they won at least 75% of minority postgrads ... so, their margin with WHTIE postgrads - to even out to 58% - was probably closer to 52% or so.  Really not dominating or anything.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 04:51:36 PM »

^Still pretty good when you consider that they lost all White voters by 20 points.

Anyway, this is definitely a good idea, but it's just so hard to find and compile data on this matter. I'd love to see the results for Montana, because migration has actually had a big impact on the state, especially since the 90s.

Yes, obviously they do better with this group.  I think it's clear as day that the reasoning is that certain fields which lend themselves to more liberal views and more Democratic voting (like education, for example) practically require a "postgrad" degree to go anywhere, while other fields that lend themselves to more conservative views and more Republican voting (finance and agriculture, for example) really don't provide much incentive to go to more school ... it's simply not usually worth it for your career.  However, I'm sure the narrative will stay that it is the increased education IN AND OF ITSELF that just *makes* people more Democratic, LOL.  Whatever floats their boats.

But my point is that White postgrads are about as loyal to the Democratic party as the state of Minnesota ... it's a "blue state," but there are TONS of Republicans there, and if you met a Minnesotan, you wouldn't just assume they were a Democrat ... same would be true of meeting a White person who told you they had a postgrad degree.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 09:01:29 PM »

I think Democrats' advantages among "the highly educated" is a LITTLE exaggerated.  Yes, Clinton won 58% of them, and that is a very, very solid win ... but that's only 1% more than Trump got with Whites, and we don't talk about White voters as this iron clad Republican group, we just talk about them as a group that leans Republican overall and varies widely by location (as education does, seeing as Republicans win postgrads in several states).  Additionally, I think if you isolated it to Whites with an advanced degree, there would hardly be a Democratic advantage...

What does the difference between white and nonwhite postgrad voting have to do with the fact that postgrads being a democratic group that tends to move around would lead to democrats doing worse if only people who were born in a state voted?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 12:42:10 AM »
« Edited: July 01, 2017, 12:55:09 AM by Southern Delegate TimTurner »

Question, so if people who moved to states had to vote in the states they were in originally, how much would that alter the map?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 08:57:45 AM »

What does the difference between white and nonwhite postgrad voting have to do with the fact that postgrads being a democratic group that tends to move around would lead to democrats doing worse if only people who were born in a state voted?

Nothing, I just threw that in there. Smiley
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 07:20:50 PM »

Agreed, though I recall (I think the data was from 1990 or 2000) that Democratic states (at the time) were slightly more likely to have above average % of people born in state. Not saying that that concept can't coexist with your bolded statement, just throwing that out.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies