Electoral Map of "People Who Were Born There" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:13:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Electoral Map of "People Who Were Born There" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Electoral Map of "People Who Were Born There"  (Read 1638 times)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« on: June 29, 2017, 10:06:35 AM »
« edited: June 29, 2017, 10:10:37 AM by Tintrlvr »

Generally speaking, Republicans are going to do much better across the country among people who have never moved (or never moved out of their home state) than Democrats, relatively speaking. The only states where I think this might not be true are Hawaii and New Mexico, plus maybe some of the Deep South as whites tend to be wealthier and thus more mobile than blacks. After all, the Democrats do very well among (i) immigrants and (ii) the highly educated, which are the two groups that are most likely to have born outside of their current state of residence (by definition, in the case of immigrants), everywhere.

I'm curious if anyone has done a map of the results if only natural-born citizens could vote. At a guess, it looks close to as dominant for Trump as the whites-only map.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 05:14:35 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2017, 05:17:24 PM by Tintrlvr »

Generally speaking, Republicans are going to do much better across the country among people who have never moved (or never moved out of their home state) than Democrats, relatively speaking. The only states where I think this might not be true are Hawaii and New Mexico, plus maybe some of the Deep South as whites tend to be wealthier and thus more mobile than blacks. After all, the Democrats do very well among (i) immigrants and (ii) the highly educated, which are the two groups that are most likely to have born outside of their current state of residence (by definition, in the case of immigrants), everywhere.

I'm curious if anyone has done a map of the results if only natural-born citizens could vote. At a guess, it looks close to as dominant for Trump as the whites-only map.

I think Democrats' advantages among "the highly educated" is a LITTLE exaggerated.  Yes, Clinton won 58% of them, and that is a very, very solid win ... but that's only 1% more than Trump got with Whites, and we don't talk about White voters as this iron clad Republican group, we just talk about them as a group that leans Republican overall and varies widely by location (as education does, seeing as Republicans win postgrads in several states).  Additionally, I think if you isolated it to Whites with an advanced degree, there would hardly be a Democratic advantage...

Trump won nearly every state if only white people voted. That's a big deal. Same goes (in reverse) for the highly educated.

And... what? Are you arguing that people with advanced degrees are disproportionately more minority than people without advanced degrees? That's a pretty rarefied error. In any case, highly educated people of all backgrounds are going to be much more mobile than less educated people of any background.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies