Something you didn't know about Canada...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:52:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Something you didn't know about Canada...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Something you didn't know about Canada...  (Read 1592 times)
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2005, 06:45:58 PM »

Former Prime Minister Jean Chretien's son has been convicted twice of rape.  Both times the punishments were "smoothed over" and he got a tap on the wrist.

Most Canadians don't know it.  The State owned TV network, who hates conservatives and loves liberals, didn't really mention it.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 07:00:14 PM »

That isn't "something I didn't know about Canada".  It's something I didn't know about Jean Chretien's son.

The lack of justice is disturbing anyway.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 07:01:27 PM »

Oh, okay, now I hate Canada.  Damn Canadians.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 07:07:25 PM »

It is disturbing that Canadians re-elected that sonofabitch for 12 years.  And how we accepted that a prime minister's son should get away with a tap on the wrist.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 07:17:13 PM »

Yes it is bad, by all means.  But it's also not uncommon.  Ted Kennedy left a woman in a lake over 30 years ago, and is still going strong politically.  GWB was an alcoholic drug addict before he "found Jebus", and his wife killed a guy in a RTA.  Nobody's perfect.  Plus, it was his son that was the rapist, not the PM himself.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 07:20:36 PM »

Even in the field, Howard's still boring. He never does anything interesting, not even anything like this Cheesy

About the most controvertial thing would be...uhm...his wife was a right wing teacher! shock! horror!

Oh, and his son worked for the Bush '04 campaign.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 08:18:22 PM »

It is disturbing that Canadians re-elected that sonofabitch for 12 years.  And how we accepted that a prime minister's son should get away with a tap on the wrist.

I'm not saying that his failure to get punished was a bad thing, but I really can't see what this says about Canada.  As Joe said, pretty much every country has cases where a politician or someone that politician knows gets special treatment because of the politician's stature.  I'm sure I could cherry pick things about the United States that would make it look horrible too, but I won't, because I like to not lie by omission.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 08:23:48 PM »

You have a source on this?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 08:26:36 PM »

But that's my favourite kind Smiley
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 08:52:44 PM »

Former Prime Minister Jean Chretien's son has been convicted twice of rape.  Both times the punishments were "smoothed over" and he got a tap on the wrist.

Most Canadians don't know it.  The State owned TV network, who hates conservatives and loves liberals, didn't really mention it.
Talk about corruption in Canadia-A!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 09:03:52 PM »

Talk about corruption in Canadia-A!

Don't make me start doing research on Mexico. Tongue
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2005, 09:08:36 PM »

It is funny how a murder was suddenly downgraded, and then dropped.  Or something like that.  By all accounts of what I know, she should have been executed.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 09:29:08 PM »

I don't agree with the Bush twins drinking and driving either, but it shows how poor a parent the leaders are, not how they run the country. I am pretty sure drunk driving hasnt increased in the U.S., neither has rape in Canada. But, I find the fact that I haven't heard this to be surprising, but I wouldn't call the media friendly towards Chretien. Ever watch Air Farce?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 09:57:59 PM »

Could you give details from reputable sources? A search of Canadian media finds that Chretien's 33-year old adopted son was indicted on two charges concerning the same person in 2002 and acquitted by jury in Yellowknife of all charges in 2003 after 5 hours of deliberation. As far as I know, there hasn't been a prior conviction and there was no later election in which Chretien ran. Sorry, you might have to learn to check facts.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 10:08:53 PM »

I don't agree with the Bush twins drinking and driving either
and I don't agree w/ the Hussein Bros. involvementt in mass murder and rape houses.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2005, 10:25:32 PM »

Rape is a very difficult crime to prove, thus, in any society it is very easy for the rich and important to avoid conviction.  Do you think a Bush could be convicted of rape in the US?  Very difficult.  Nothing about this story is particularly Canadian.  Everywhere in the world convicted rapists are largely convicted due to poverty, not due to any real guilt or innocence.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2005, 09:24:07 PM »

Rape is a very difficult crime to prove, thus, in any society it is very easy for the rich and important to avoid conviction.  Do you think a Bush could be convicted of rape in the US?  Very difficult.  Nothing about this story is particularly Canadian.  Everywhere in the world convicted rapists are largely convicted due to poverty, not due to any real guilt or innocence.

And you know this?!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies