Martin O'Malley/Steve Bullock 2020: Pros and Cons
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:29:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Martin O'Malley/Steve Bullock 2020: Pros and Cons
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Martin O'Malley/Steve Bullock 2020: Pros and Cons  (Read 1870 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2017, 10:11:47 PM »

This could be a good combination of a Democratic presidential ticket in 2020. Former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley represents urbanites, suburban liberals and centrists, and a white male governor of a minority-trending deep blue state of Maryland with gubernatorial experience. He picks Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, who adds white working class and rural voters, and more conservatives. What would be the pros and cons of this potential ticket?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 11:08:34 PM »

Bullock problem is SSM and done after term finishes.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 11:36:34 PM »

I honestly don't know about that. Two white Catholic male Governors? Catholics aren't exactly a religious/cultural minority, like Mormons and Jews.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 12:20:52 AM »

One massive con is already sticking out for me: the idea that anyone wants anyone Martin O' Malley to be President
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 12:39:05 AM »

One massive con is already sticking out for me: the idea that anyone wants anyone Martin O' Malley to be President

Me circa 2013

I would counter though by saying that I'm not sure that there's that many people outside of Maryland that *don't* want him.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 07:01:35 AM »

Pro: Bullock
Con: O'Malley
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 12:13:08 PM »

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 12:44:52 PM »

This Steve Bullock nonsense needs to stop.

There aren't many differences between Bullock and O'Malley, though?

Maybe not policywise, but "Joe Six Pack" is going to see Bullock as a more notable Democrat than the dweeb that is Martin O'Malley.
Kringla Heimsins
France

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 01:10:56 PM »

"Joe Six Pack" is going to see Bullock as a more notable Democrat than the dweeb that is Martin O'Malley.
kyc0705

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 11:56:10 AM »

The average voter barely remembers Martin O'Malley and has never heard of Steve Bullock. To paraphrase a great movie, stop trying to make Steve Bullock happen. It's not going to happen.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 02:40:35 PM »

The average voter barely remembers Martin O'Malley and has never heard of Steve Bullock. To paraphrase a great movie, stop trying to make Steve Bullock happen. It's not going to happen.
The average voter never heard of Bill Clinton before he ran for the presidency. Not saying whether or not Bullock will happen, but that's such a moot point.
kyc0705

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 03:30:26 PM »

The average voter never heard of Bill Clinton before he ran for the presidency. Not saying whether or not Bullock will happen, but that's such a moot point.

Feasibly, what does Steve Bullock have to offer that the general populace will embrace? Clinton was a charismatic, energetic politician who pivoted the party to the center and won back the White House after 12 years of GOP leadership. Bullock is a low-profile governor of one of the least populated states in the country, and is personally popular among Montanans, but that's about it.

Personally, I like Bullock, and I wouldn't mind him running for president, but I can't see a scenario where he is anything else than a name on somebody's VP shortlist.
Kringla Heimsins
France

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 04:03:14 PM »

Feasibly, what does Steve Bullock have to offer that the general populace will embrace? Clinton was a charismatic, energetic politician who pivoted the party to the center and won back the White House after 12 years of GOP leadership. Bullock is a low-profile governor of one of the least populated states in the country, and is personally popular among Montanans, but that's about it.

Personally, I like Bullock, and I wouldn't mind him running for president, but I can't see a scenario where he is anything else than a name on somebody's VP shortlist.

Bullock is the only progressive Democratic governor from a red state. He isn't incredibly charismatic but not boring either. He could build a narrative around his perceived authenticity and dark-horse status. He can easily be a symbol of change, and can also be relatable to many Americans. He can be the likeable dad, the neighbor that helps you fix your car, the colleague whom you invite to your bbq party. He could get this narrative going easily, he just need the right PR team.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 10:03:17 PM »

Kylar
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 10:52:47 AM »

There isn't really much wrong with this ticket, both are moderate, white, and can appeal to a lot of people.
FYI though-Bullock is United Church of Christ-not Catholic.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2017, 01:29:46 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2017, 04:25:46 PM by NJ is Better than TX »

Why do they have to be White in order to be good candidates?

To appeal to muh WWC at the expense of everyone else. Because, you know, only the WWC and the Midwest matters now.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies