Will a liberty candidate challenge Trump in the GOP primary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 01:45:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Will a liberty candidate challenge Trump in the GOP primary?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will a liberty candidate challenge Trump in the GOP primary?  (Read 176 times)
BushKerry04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2017, 08:00:15 PM »

Former Congressman Ron Paul ran for President three times, did quite well in the 2012 Republican primary, and laid the groundwork for future liberty candidates. The question is, will a liberty candidate challenge Donald Trump in the 2020 GOP primary? U.S. Senator Mike Lee (R-UT), U.S. Senator Ben Sasse (R-NE), U.S. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY), Rep. Justin Amash (R-MI), and Rep. Thomas Massie (R-KY) are all examples of libertarian-leaning conservative republicans. Will one of them or another liberty candidate challenge Trump in the GOP primary?

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 08:10:45 PM »

Amash hinted last year that there's a strong chance of him running for president at some point.  Whether he would entertain the idea of running against Trump for the nomination or not, I don't know.  But WH senior advisor Dan Scavino said back in April that he'd like to see a primary challenger for Amash's House seat, and Amash said he's open to impeaching Trump, so relations between the two certainly seem to be strained.

I'd like someone to ask Amash straight up if he'd ever consider running for president against a Republican incumbent.  I honestly don't know what his answer would be.

You also mentioned Sasse, who I wouldn't have thought would qualify as being a "liberty candidate", but he's going to be in Iowa next week, and he gave a less-than-Shermanesque denial back in May when he was asked about a presidential run.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies