Favorite recent post by the previous poster
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:14:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Favorite recent post by the previous poster
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 74
Author Topic: Favorite recent post by the previous poster  (Read 76958 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: July 04, 2018, 02:57:08 PM »

There is nothing wrong with elderly leaders, but something is amiss when younger people are conspicuously absent. Age doesn't deserve ridicule. However, gerontocracy does.

People like Nancy Pelosi and Steny Hoyer exist in a system that optimizes its leaders for the ability to accumulate power with age. The truly glaring thing about this, and a perpetual problem in Democratic politics, is the gaping hole where they should have a younger cohort of leaders who are ready to take their places.

This is all the more galling considering the constant hype on the Democratic side re: "the young people are our future!" (ps: please Rock The Vote Out in November). Any Democrat who honestly wonders why young people in this country vote at abysmal rates even by American standards and have been so apathetic and cynical about politics and government in the US, despite their comparatively and genuinely strong Democratic/liberal-left "lean", could do worse than by starting here.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1026 on: July 04, 2018, 03:46:40 PM »

Faves (D): Ben Jealous, Stacey Abrams, Abdul El-Sayed, Sue Bell Cobb, James Smith
Least (D): Gavin Newsom, Gina Raimondo, Andrew Cuomo, Jared Polis, J.B. Pritzker

Faves (R): Charlie Baker, Kay Ivey, Kim Reynolds, Allan Fung
Least (R): Scott Walker, Casey Cagle, Kris Kobach, Adam Laxalt
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1027 on: July 04, 2018, 03:50:02 PM »

Welp, let's keep the flag half-down every other day. Deadly shootings being all that frequent and all that.

Yes, please. Gun violence is awful and if that's how to keep attention on it, I'm all for it.

The purpose of flying government flags at half-staff is to honor the passing of specific individuals.  It is not to make a political statement.

The flag has been politicized enough by both sides.
OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #1028 on: July 05, 2018, 05:52:05 AM »

Welp, let's keep the flag half-down every other day. Deadly shootings being all that frequent and all that.

Yes, please. Gun violence is awful and if that's how to keep attention on it, I'm all for it.

The purpose of flying government flags at half-staff is to honor the passing of specific individuals.  It is not to make a political statement.

The flag has been politicized enough by both sides.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1029 on: July 07, 2018, 12:08:36 AM »

RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1030 on: July 07, 2018, 10:37:17 AM »

An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1031 on: July 07, 2018, 08:13:02 PM »

The Rhode Island Democratic Party never ceases to amaze me with their stupidity.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1032 on: July 07, 2018, 08:49:18 PM »

National Parks are nice. My dad and I made a loop out of Great Basin NP, the five Utah Parks, Mesa Verde NP, and the Grand Canyon. Up towards Oregon, there's Lassen Volcanic NP and Lava Beds NM along with Crater Lake NP (the only one of those three that's actually in Oregon). Never been to Alaska.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1033 on: July 07, 2018, 09:02:36 PM »

He was only a vice president, but I'm 99% sure that Nelson Rockefeller would be a Democrat today, given is support for universal healthcare, more government spending, pro-environment and civil-rights stances. Gerald Ford would be Charlie Baker or Brian Sandoval style Republican today (he was pro-choice and supportive of gay's rights, but more center-right on economic issues).

Depends was Rockefeller actually liberals or was he liberal due to convenience (due to the New Deal Alignmnet ) because if it was convenience he would be a moderate Republican today and be far more conservative than he was in OTL

Given how he acted as Vice President--when he was not in an position of real power and would not likely be running for President again--I would go with the fact that he was actually liberal. I think Rockefeller would be a Democrat today primarily because even if we take an argument that mah519 advanced in a previous thread, that Rockefeller's view of society was primarily Republican, even if his politics were liberal, I think there is space in the Democratic camp for that today, in an era where Michael Bloomberg gives a speech at the Democratic National Convention.

Yeah the Rockefeller-Bloomberg comparison makes sense, but...may I also add (one from each party!) Mitt Romney and Andrew Cuomo if we're gonna compare current-day politicians to that guy?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1034 on: July 07, 2018, 09:26:29 PM »

My biggest problem with Democrats in general is how they act in general elections when they throw a fit that "their" side didn't win. It makes the Democratic Party as a whole full of whiney toddlers.
Republicans lose elections with class? Interesting. The effigies of President Obama with nooses around his neck and signs that called him N's and monkey must have been a figment of my imagination.
I'll give this one to RFKFan68.  The GOP are worse losers; they really view themselves as entitled to victory, and they really think that they lose only because people lost their minds.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1035 on: July 07, 2018, 11:14:49 PM »

HP, but ultimately necessary much of the time, except at the lower echelons or in non-partisan elections.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1036 on: July 09, 2018, 05:57:30 PM »

This would have been my plan:

1. Immediate admission of Ukraine and Georgia to NATO, invite Finland as well.
2. Immediate, full embargo of Russia.
3. NATO buildup on Russian borders to defend the rest of Ukrainian sovereign territory.
4. Provide ultimatum, if Russia still doesn't release Crimea within 14 days, begin immediate, around-the-clock tactical bombing of Russian positions in Crimea.
5. If Crimea is not returned within 7 days afterward, begin tactical bombing in Russian homeland and blockade of Black sea and Baltic Russian ports.
6. If another 14 days pass and Ukrainian territory is not fully restored by the Russian government, launch ground invasion of Russian territory to topple rogue government.

How would that have worked out?

congrats you somehow found a way to make me look like a dove.

awful, awful plan.  also the bolded part has never succeeded in the past, why the hell would it work now?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1037 on: July 13, 2018, 02:49:44 PM »

_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #1038 on: July 13, 2018, 02:50:59 PM »

Somewhat painful, but there are obviously worse things to experience.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1039 on: July 13, 2018, 09:51:54 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I am quite happy to see that the Gentleman from Kentucky has gone through with the idea to lower the national debt that the Patriots have supported since our founding, and I am most certainly in support of this measure, and urge my fellow Patriots and Deputies to support this Act.

I also wish to state my concurrence with the Gentleman from Boston.  This Act will allow our people to expand westward, into a vast new land with endless opportunity for prosperity for the citizens of this nation, and it has my strong support in that manner.  In addition, this legislation is allowing the fulfillment of Locke's ideals in allowing the right to property for all men of this nation. As such, we are establishing ourselves as a Republic built upon the natural rights of man, Life, Liberty, and Property. 

This legislation is not just in the interests of lowering the national debt, but in protecting one of the unalienable rights we fought for in our revolution, and I urge all Deputies to recognize this and support the legislation.

I yield.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1040 on: July 14, 2018, 12:56:07 AM »

How is debating the existence of Jesus Christ fringe and psuedohistorical? One of my skeptic friends has a theory that Jesus was just a fictional character that combined the personalities of real life figures and the mythology of earlier civilization. I'm not totally convinced by his assertion but it's not like all historians are in agreement with the lack of evidence spouted as proof a historical person named Jesus existed in this world.

"How is debating the theory of evolution fringe and pseudo historical?  It's not like all scientists are in agreement about it."

Consensus matters - and in both biology and history, we see an overwhelming consensus on the subjects of biological evolution and the historicity of Jesus, respectively.  A small minority of them disagreeing does not outweigh the fact that the vast majority are firmly convinced of Jesus as a historical figure (albeit not necessarily the son of God).

As the agnostic scholar Ehrman put it, "But as a historian I think evidence matters. And the past matters. And for anyone to whom both evidence and the past matter, a dispassionate consideration of the case makes it quite plain: Jesus did exist. He may not have been the Jesus that your mother believes in or the Jesus of the stained-glass window or the Jesus of your least favorite televangelist or the Jesus proclaimed by the Vatican, the Southern Baptist Convention, the local megachurch, or the California Gnostic. But he did exist, and we can say a few things, with relative certainty, about him."  

(Here's the full excerpt of his book opening: https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/justin-taylor/the-historical-evidence-of-the-existence-of-jesus-of-nazareth/ )

If your position is against the vast consensus of experts in the relevant field, then it is by definition a fringe position.  The thing that is bizarre about Jesus mythicism for atheists is that while it is possible for Evangelicals to argue that belief in evolution is utterly incompatible with Christianity (I think they'd be mistaken, but I digress), there is absolutely nothing incompatible with belief in a historical Jesus and atheism.  Believing Jesus was a historical figure says absolutely nothing about his divinity, so there shouldn't be any epistemic problems for an atheist to assent to the historical consensus here. 
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #1041 on: July 14, 2018, 01:00:26 AM »

These racists should be thrown in prison for this sh**t. Anybody who would do something like this to a 92 year old man of any race, are monsters who don’t belong in society.
RACISTS come in all colors.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #1042 on: July 14, 2018, 03:00:41 AM »

If Trump is killed, Democrats are finished for at least a decade. Sets them back further, regardless of "demographics is destiny" mantra.

Young white millennials aren't going to be a pushover.

Keep it going.

Who cares? We'd get a Republican who wasn't bat sh**t crazy, who had a brain and understood policy implications, who didn't want to do Putin's bidding, and actually respected the office. It's a win for western civilisation.

Summing up your post, are you basically saying that an assassination of the president would be a good thing?

I have reported your post and you should be ashamed.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1043 on: July 14, 2018, 04:48:14 PM »

I mean, I've got an entire signature full of them.

Here's my full endorsement spreadsheet. Candidates I'm endorsing are in the first column, second column is the district, third column is the incumbent.

Impressed by the detail of your spreadsheet.

Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1044 on: July 14, 2018, 06:43:13 PM »

I don't think it will be Stein. I think the party wants a better face. What that means for a party that loves to dabble in wonky ideology, I don't know.

(FTR - I'm not calling Green progressives wonky, but instead some positions like anti-Vaccines or anti-Wifi lol)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1045 on: July 14, 2018, 10:01:49 PM »

Alabama - Likely R
Alaska - Tossup
Arizona - Lean R
Arkansas - Safe R
California - Safe D
Colorado - Likely D
Connecticut - Lean D
Florida - Tossup
Georgia - Lean R
Hawaii - Safe D
Idaho - Safe R
Illinois - Lean D
Iowa - Tossup
Kansas - Lean R
Maine - Lean D
Maryland - Tossup
Massachusetts - Safe R
Michigan - Lean D
Minnesota - Lean D
Nebraska - Safe R
Nevada - Lean D
New Hampshire - Tossup
New Mexico - Likely D
New York - Safe D
Ohio - Tossup
Oklahoma - Lean R
Oregon - Safe D
Pennsylvania - Safe D
Rhode Island - Lean D
South Carolina - Likely R
South Dakota - Safe R
Tennessee - Likely R
Texas - Safe R
Vermont - Likely R
Wisconsin - Lean D
Wyoming - Likely R
James Monroe

« Reply #1046 on: July 14, 2018, 10:11:29 PM »

PittsburghSteel, the most annoying and partisan user here by all standards.

He's certainly in the running for all of that, but that's not a reason to ban someone.  That's not really a reason for a "good talking-to" by a mod.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1047 on: July 15, 2018, 11:07:36 AM »

*Pro-choice, but for rich, white women only.
*Obsessed with the nation moving right, but celebrate the Dems moving centrist.

Need I list more?

Need to care to elaborate your statements?

Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #1048 on: July 17, 2018, 08:38:11 PM »

>Daily Caller
>Insert thinking face emoji here
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West