Senate results = presidential results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:05:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election Predictions (Moderator: muon2)
  Senate results = presidential results
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate results = presidential results  (Read 2841 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 03, 2017, 03:00:59 PM »

If some had told you before the Election Day 2016 that that would be the first election where the winning party in every Senate election mirrored the winning party for their state in the Presidential election, would you have changed your prediction?
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 03:36:13 PM »

My original prediction for Trump was Romney states + IA + OH + ME-02 - NC. I probably would've added FL and NC. I might've added NV and because I thought Heck would pull it out. I thought Toomey and Johnson would lose so that wouldn't have changed.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 05:34:12 PM »

I only would have changed MO to R (duh), so my final prediction would have been:

GOP: FL, NC, IA, OH, MO, AZ, IN
DEM: PA, IL, WI, NH

Wisconsin was very tricky. I don't think that anybody, beside some hardcore Republican hacks, would have thought that both races would be won by the GOP.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 10:38:05 PM »

I would have switched NV from GOP to DEM and had Clinton winning the EV 278-260 by winning NH, PA, WI, CO and NV + MI
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 06:03:28 PM »

I got the following races incorrect for president:

Pennsylvania
Michigan
Wisconsin
Iowa
North Carolina
Florida
Arizona

I got the following races incorrect for senate:

Pennsylvania
Wisconsin
North Carolina

The following states were my split predictions:

Iowa
Florida
Arizona

I probably would have ended up predicting Democrat wins in Florida and Republican wins in Iowa and Arizona.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 06:21:42 PM »

First, it would have been obvious that Trump would win Iowa, Ohio, and Florida (and that Clinton would win Colorado).  Likewise, you could have been virtually certain that GOP Senators would win in Missouri and Indiana.  That news alone would have shown that it was not a disaster night for the GOP, so you could make North Carolina Republican in both.  That leaves us with a presidential map of:

That's a 259-212 Trump lead.

The Senate's picture would have been 50 Republicans, 46 Democrats, and 4 undecided (PA, NH, WI, NV).

I likely would have given Minnesota, Michigan, and Wisconsin to Clinton and ME-2 to Trump:

Trump 260, Clinton 248
GOP 50, DEMS 47

Now, it all comes down to Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, and Nevada.  I honestly could have gone either way on all three, though I probably would have given PA to the Democrats and NV to the Republicans:

Clinton 268, Trump 266 (it all comes down to NH)
GOP 51, DEMS 48

Then, I would have basically flipped a coin on New Hampshire (I might have been thinking Clinton and Ayotte with what we already knew, but that was impossible).
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 05:53:21 PM »

If the Republicans (somehow) pick up all the Trump states in the Senate elections later this year, they would have a super majority not seen since the 70's for the Democrats. A president with a 35% approval rating would never get a margin of victory like that. Some states like Missouri, Indiana, and Florida are definitely possible, but not states like Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, etc. Those went to Trump yeah, but by under 2 points. And remember, there's Nevada, which Clinton won by 2, Arizona, which Trump won by 3, and Texas, which even a terrible Democrat like Hillary swung over to the Dems. My own prediction might honestly be off. Looking back now, Dems pick up 1, Reps pick up 1, or no change. I don't really know about Tennessee, but a Dem who won 68% in a gubernatorial election just in 2006, should be interesting to see. But yeah. The Republicans won't get a super majority. If Trump was popular, then maybe like +3-5 for the Republicans. But reality, he has a 35%. Soo yeah. Love to hear replies. Cheesy
What in God's name are you going on about Huh
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 01:07:38 PM »

If the Republicans (somehow) pick up all the Trump states in the Senate elections later this year, they would have a super majority not seen since the 70's for the Democrats. A president with a 35% approval rating would never get a margin of victory like that. Some states like Missouri, Indiana, and Florida are definitely possible, but not states like Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, etc. Those went to Trump yeah, but by under 2 points. And remember, there's Nevada, which Clinton won by 2, Arizona, which Trump won by 3, and Texas, which even a terrible Democrat like Hillary swung over to the Dems. My own prediction might honestly be off. Looking back now, Dems pick up 1, Reps pick up 1, or no change. I don't really know about Tennessee, but a Dem who won 68% in a gubernatorial election just in 2006, should be interesting to see. But yeah. The Republicans won't get a super majority. If Trump was popular, then maybe like +3-5 for the Republicans. But reality, he has a 35%. Soo yeah. Love to hear replies. Cheesy
I wanted to ask the same question, but I wasn't quite sure if my English was simply not good enough.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 07:39:28 AM »

I wanted to ask the same question, but I wasn't quite sure if my English was simply not good enough.

He obviously read the thread title and nothing else and assumed this was a thread claiming that all 2018 senate election would mimick the presidential winner in 2016.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies