MI-Senate 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:55:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MI-Senate 2018
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MI-Senate 2018  (Read 4318 times)
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2017, 05:42:37 PM »
« edited: July 06, 2017, 05:47:55 PM by Silent Cal »

I couldn't find a thread for this, so I made one. Here are the basics of the race:

Democrats

Senator Debbie Stabenow was first elected to the senate in 2000 narrowly, however, she had previously served in the House for several years. In total, she has been an elected official since 1979. She was easily reelected to the senate in 2006 and 2012. She is unlikely to face any primary challenge

http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Debbie_Stabenow.htm

According to her issue statements and voting record, she is solidly liberal.

Republicans

Judge Bob Young is a former Chief Justice of the Michigan Supreme Justice. He left office in January of 2017. He was on the shortlist for President Trump's SCOTUS nomination. He announced his plans to run from the location of his childhood home in Detroit. He was elected to the Chief Justiceship an "unprecedented" 3 times and is one of only four African Americans to have ever served on the Michigan Supreme Court.

http://www.bobyoungformichigan.com/

Lena Epstein is an automotive exec at a 3rd generation family run Michigan distributor. She was the co-chair of the Trump Campaign in Michigan. Her website's headline is "Unapologetically Pro Trump."

https://lenaforsenate.com/

State Overview

Michigan's CPVI is D +1 and President Trump narrowly won it by 10,704 votes or a margin of .23%.
The last Republican to serve as a US Senator from Michigan was Spencer Abraham, defeated by Stabenow in 2000. The primary issues likely to drive the campaign in Michigan are President Trump, trade, agriculture, immigration, and healthcare.

Please post updates about the race to this thread and comment your thoughts about who could realistically challenge Senator Stabenow if such a person exists.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 06:09:01 PM »

Stabenow has a primary challenger, Craig Allen Smith, but Stabenow will easily defeat Smith because he's not a high-profile serious challenger.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 06:35:12 PM »

To clarify a couple of facts ....

I couldn't find a thread for this, so I made one. Here are the basics of the race:

Democrats

Senator Debbie Stabenow was first elected to the senate in 2000 narrowly, however, she had previously served in the House for several years. In total, she has been an elected official since 1979. She was easily reelected to the senate in 2006 and 2012. She is unlikely to face any primary challenge

http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Debbie_Stabenow.htm

According to her issue statements and voting record, she is solidly liberal.

Stabenow served four years in the U.S. House. Prior to that, her first elected office was to a county government position -- Ingham County Board of Commissioners -- in 1974. She served four years there, followed by twelve years in the Michigan House of Representatives, and four years in the Michigan Senate. She lost the Democratic primary for Governor in 1994, but won her first of two terms in the U.S. House two years later.

I do agree that she has a solidly liberal voting record. Her approval ratings from Americans for Democratic Action have, for the years 1997 to 2015, been an average of 95.25% (for some reason, ADA has not yet published their approval scores for last year).
http://www.adaction.org/pages/publications/voting-records.php

I don't think any Republican can beat her. Judge Young would certainly be an interesting match, and has the potential of doing better than her 2006 and 2012 opponents, but I think there is very little chance of he or anyone else getting with 4 points of her.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 12:03:30 AM »

Stabenow really is not battle tested and could go down in a Republican wave if she sleep walks and has a good opponent.

2018 is not likely to be a GOP wave.

Her opponent seems credible.

Whether or not she sleep walks is too early too see.

I would not initially discount this race for the GOP but they have an uphill battle. Why so many people have Stabenow as an underdog or DOA just because Trump won Michigan is beyond me.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 12:06:45 AM »

Stabenow really is not battle tested and could go down in a Republican wave if she sleep walks and has a good opponent.

I would not initially discount this race for the GOP but they have an uphill battle. Why so many people have Stabenow as an underdog or DOA just because Trump won Michigan is beyond me.
Well, she was effective in close race in 2000. However, comparing 2000 Michigan politics to 2018 really doesn't work anymore. I agree. If she wants to win, she will actually need to campaign vigorously this time. Also,  I think stabenow is generally regarded as likely to win. I have not heard anyone call her dead on arrival. she is clearly the favorite.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 12:10:50 AM »

Well, she was effective in close race in 2000. However, comparing 2000 Michigan politics to 2018 really doesn't work anymore. I agree. If she wants to win, she will actually need to campaign vigorously this time. Also,  I think stabenow is generally regarded as likely to win. I have not heard anyone call her dead on arrival. she is clearly the favorite.

Oh she will have to campaign for sure this time. It is mind boggling why everyone had Michigan as solid Democratic for President in 2016 considering results in the state in 2010 and 2014 and how the race in 2004 for President was shaky for Democrats at best. But I think a competent campaign should give Stabenow a good margin and a vigorous campaign should give her a solid margin.

And yes several people do have Stabenow as the underdog! I have even seen people on this site say the Democrats will lose 100 house seats next year!!!
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 01:21:03 AM »

I would rate the race likely D.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 01:25:32 AM »

Aren't some people trying to get Kid Rock to run? Likely D.
UncleSam

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 06:32:03 AM »

Somewhere between lean and likely D, Stabenaw will probably have a tougher time than most here realize but if it's a particularly bad year for Republicans I doubt anyone beats her. Young is a credible challenger who could cut into her margin in Wayne significantly but he lacks the ability to win big in the rural areas, Macomb, or Kent.

I think funnily enough Kid Rock would be a pretty strong candidate if he can speak well (who knows on that front though). He's popular with high name ID and impossible to paint as a Plutocrat even if he might actually be one lol

Dems shouldn't sleep on this race, but so long as they don't I doubt they will lose in the end.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 08:32:47 AM »

Her race in 2012 was supposed to be competitive, until the Debbie "Spend It Now" ad.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 02:38:44 PM »

This Young guy seems like a decent Candidate, still Likely D, but if polling shows the race within 7 i'll move it to lean.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 03:44:29 PM »

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 04:44:31 PM »

Lean D for now. Democrats would be incredibly stupid to take this race for granted, and I believe there is a lot more "upset" potential here than in PA. Running a more "Trumpist" wave insurance candidate and not some random boring "generic Republican" seems like the best option for the GOP in MI IMO.

That being said, I think there is an 80%-85% chance that this race is a very easy double digit win for Stabenow and maybe a 15% chance or so that it goes down to the wire. Nothing in between. That's just my gut feeling, and I could be wrong of course.

Pennsylvania's more likely to be a loss for Democrats, since Casey never seems to take his opponents seriously, and if Barletta gets in he well could lose. As for Stabenow, it would probably take Schuettte deciding to run here instead for Governor for this race to be seriously competitive. In that scenario I'd give Stabenow a slight edge, but it's definitely possible she'd lose then.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 10:01:15 AM »

Per yesterday's Detroit News - John James has formed an exploratory committee to consider running for Senate against Stabenow:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2017/07/18/john-james-republican-senate-stabenow-businessman/103787684/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Iraq war veteran - is he a young Ben Carson type? Not sure.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 11:52:27 AM »

Likely D, Safe D if Kid Rock is her opponent. Stabenow's vulnerability seems to be overrated every cycle.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 12:04:25 PM »

Lean D for now. Democrats would be incredibly stupid to take this race for granted, and I believe there is a lot more "upset" potential here than in PA. Running a more "Trumpist" wave insurance candidate and not some random boring "generic Republican" seems like the best option for the GOP in MI IMO.

That being said, I think there is an 80%-85% chance that this race is a very easy double digit win for Stabenow and maybe a 15% chance or so that it goes down to the wire. Nothing in between. That's just my gut feeling, and I could be wrong of course.

I think this race is safe D (regardless of what Kid Rock does) and the PA Senate race probably is too, tbh.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 12:25:00 AM »

Kid Rock is worrying as he is a lot like Trump and could be the one candidate who energizes Michigan GOP voters and harms Stabenow. However at the same time Stabenow is no Hillary Clinton and I doubt Michigan will make the same mistake twice, it is most likely that Stabenow the effective politician will blow Kid Rock out of the water. But after Trump, I will not take Kid Rock as a joke. It isn't funny.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 03:23:15 AM »

Kid Rock is less charismatic than Trump. Stabenow is a fairly strong incumbent.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017, 04:19:48 PM »

Lena Epstein is out, likely going to run for MI-11. Would be shocked if Upton doesn't get in at this point.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2017, 09:08:55 AM »

Look, I know Stabenow is favored, but you have to understand that President Trump carried Michigan in an election that was probably much higher-turnout than this midterm will be.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2017, 03:21:13 PM »

Upton getting serious about running.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2017, 07:29:12 AM »

Upton getting cold feet partially due to Bannon, partially the race's difficulty. Crappy fundraising from James and Young so far.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 08:38:30 AM »

It looks like Kid Rock isn't actually going to run. Right now, I'd say the race is Likely D, but if Fred Upton stays on the sidelines, it'll be safe D.

Stabenow has an enormous warchest of $7.8 million, it'll be hard for even Upton to match that kind of money.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 08:36:45 AM »

Kid Rock confirms he's out.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P