Colorado sees large spike in voter registration removal requests
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:04:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Colorado sees large spike in voter registration removal requests
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will cooperating with Trump's election commission hurt Republicans in Colorado's Secretary of State election next year?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Colorado sees large spike in voter registration removal requests  (Read 715 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2017, 12:51:34 PM »

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/politics/hundreds-withdraw-colorado-voter-registrations-in-response-to-compliance-with-commission-request

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I was thinking about it, and this actually gives Democrats a pretty good argument for the SoS race in 2018. They can argue that Republicans cannot be trusted to handle their elections nor their registration data, and they have a concrete example to point to. It's not like Wayne Williams won by a landslide, either. He scraped by with a 2.x% win in a Republican year, and that was before he made an unpopular, controversial decision like this. In a year where Trump is expected to weigh Republicans down quite a bit in CO, this could be a crippling blow to his (or any other Republican SoS candidate)'s bid.

A Democratic sweep of row offices, the state Senate and a majority on the CO House delegation is looking even more likely now. That would be something, seeing as Democrats have not controlled the Secretary of State's offices for a full term since the early 1960s.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 09:04:40 PM »

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/politics/hundreds-withdraw-colorado-voter-registrations-in-response-to-compliance-with-commission-request

I was thinking about it, and this actually gives Democrats a pretty good argument for the SoS race in 2018. They can argue that Republicans cannot be trusted to handle their elections nor their registration data, and they have a concrete example to point to. It's not like Wayne Williams won by a landslide, either. He scraped by with a 2.x% win in a Republican year, and that was before he made an unpopular, controversial decision like this. In a year where Trump is expected to weigh Republicans down quite a bit in CO, this could be a crippling blow to his (or any other Republican SoS candidate)'s bid.

A Democratic sweep of row offices, the state Senate and a majority on the CO House delegation is looking even more likely now. That would be something, seeing as Democrats have not controlled the Secretary of State's offices for a full term since the early 1960s.

I assume Republicans will claim these were illegal aliens on the voter rolls.  Any knowledge on that?
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 11:04:59 PM »

Trump must really hate Cory Gardner.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 11:20:00 PM »

I assume Republicans will claim these were illegal aliens on the voter rolls.  Any knowledge on that?

They could try. Tongue

But the damage is already done I think. Voters have already keenly associated the exposure of their private information to The Feds™ and will probably come to know that Republican Wayne Williams was responsible, either now or when Democrats beat him with that next year.

I'm thinking that CO Republicans must hate Trump right now. They are barely hanging on, and all they've had so far is mostly favorable years where they didn't have a deeply unpopular GOP incumbent weighing them down.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 11:31:41 PM »

#WaitOutWayne, #ElectDemSoS2018 Tongue
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 11:51:16 PM »

It's Democrats unregistering in protest/out of paranoia that Trump can see their personal information. Mostly, it's low-info, young, left-leaning voters. This is not a good thing for the CDP, and probably will take precious Democratic $ and resources to rectify.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 12:14:12 AM »

It's Democrats unregistering in protest/out of paranoia that Trump can see their personal information. Mostly, it's low-info, young, left-leaning voters. This is not a good thing for the CDP, and probably will take precious Democratic $ and resources to rectify.

There is same day registration and iirc, CO now has automatic registration implemented administratively, so there is a chance they could be re-registered without much hassle. But yes, if not, it will take some resources to fix. I can't imagine they are all Democratic-leaning voters, though. This kind of issue seems ripe for conservatives who are wary of the federal government to be a "final straw"-type situation.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 12:37:06 AM »
« Edited: July 11, 2017, 04:58:52 AM by Senator Scott, PPT »

So people are exercising their right to protest by forgoing their right to vote out the person who makes the decisions?  Sounds stupid if you ask me.

There is same day registration and iirc, CO now has automatic registration implemented administratively, so there is a chance they could be re-registered without much hassle. But yes, if not, it will take some resources to fix. I can't imagine they are all Democratic-leaning voters, though. This kind of issue seems ripe for conservatives who are wary of the federal government to be a "final straw"-type situation.

No, Trump voters are fine with this.  "I got nuttin' to hide, I ain't got nuttin' to worry about like I did when the black guy was spying on me."

I think this will hurt the GOP in Colorado long-term for the fact that Williams' doing it will rile people up, but a drop in voter registration is never good news for Democrats.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 09:21:00 AM »

So people are exercising their right to protest by forgoing their right to vote out the person who makes the decisions?  Sounds stupid if you ask me.

No, Trump voters are fine with this.  "I got nuttin' to hide, I ain't got nuttin' to worry about like I did when the black guy was spying on me."

I think this will hurt the GOP in Colorado long-term for the fact that Williams' doing it will rile people up, but a drop in voter registration is never good news for Democrats.

That's because it is stupid.

And while you're absolutely correct in the part I highlighted, long-term this is a problem for Democrats, because it shows that we have uncritical thinking, civically unengaged, frankly stupid voters just like the GOP. If these people don't quite understand the ramifications for this action, we can safely assume they don't understand other political procedures (e.g. how to pass a bill in the state house, how the CU Board of Regents functions, redistricting), which we need them to understand longterm so that they continue voting after we no longer have the Trump boogeyman--and also because civic education in general is a good thing.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 09:38:42 AM »

I would also add that most Trump supporters I've spoken to are quite happy about the mass removals, because "it's just Democrats deregistering their dead voters before Trump finds them."
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 09:55:40 AM »

It could drive Democratic turnout in Colorado, but it could also energize Trump supporters. I see the former more likely though. 2018 is looking like a good year for Colorado Democrats anyway. They'll probably retake the state senate, and retain the Governorship, creating a trifecta, Wayne Williams now looks vulnerable, and both Coffmans look endangered due to scandals and their divorce. Even Walker Stapleton may be on shaky ground.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 01:07:47 PM »

It could drive Democratic turnout in Colorado, but it could also energize Trump supporters. I see the former more likely though. 2018 is looking like a good year for Colorado Democrats anyway. They'll probably retake the state senate, and retain the Governorship, creating a trifecta, Wayne Williams now looks vulnerable, and both Coffmans look endangered due to scandals and their divorce. Even Walker Stapleton may be on shaky ground.

What were the scandals?
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 03:51:19 PM »

What were the scandals?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/the-colorado-soap-opera-that-could-be-a-major-2016-headache-for-the-gop/2015/07/15/d321bbd8-2812-11e5-b72c-2b7d516e1e0e_story.html?utm_term=.a7535de6fd71

It may have been 2 years ago, but I doubt we won't be hearing more about it as the campaign goes on.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 04:01:10 PM »

Oh wow, thanks. I never saw this!

Spicyyyy Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies