Is it hard to be a Republican on Atlas?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:32:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is it hard to be a Republican on Atlas?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: Is it hard to be a Republican on Atlas?
Yes

No

Sometimes

Much worse if you support Trump

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 101

Author Topic: Is it hard to be a Republican on Atlas?  (Read 7879 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 09, 2017, 09:44:53 PM »

I don't know the exact statistics among active users, but I don't think Republicans are grossly outnumbered here, yet it still is somewhat enemy territory I suppose.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 09:48:42 PM »

Republicans might not highly outnumbered here, but conventionally (American) right wing positions are clearly in the minority here on most issues. 
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 09:51:21 PM »

Depends on the subforum.  USGD is the worst, as was the 2016 Presidential Board before November 8.  But others like Congressional Elections, Religion & Philosophy, Political Geography/Demographics, etc. are fine.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 09:53:23 PM »

Also Trump has decimated the ranks of Atlas Republicans, it should be noted. I think there was a much bigger contingent of GOPers before 2016. A number of Republicans became libertarians or #NeverTrumpers or just didn't show up.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 09:54:15 PM »

Republicans might not highly outnumbered here, but conventionally (American) right wing positions are clearly in the minority here on most issues. 

Oh actually now that I think about it, that would have been a better question to ask. It's not so much about Republicans as conservatives and misc Trump supporters.

I made the thread specifically because I feel bad about TheSaint250 making various comments and watching him get piled on (not saying I agree with him on w/e he says that results in that, but still). He's pretty reasonable, after all.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 09:55:52 PM »

This place was really a Hillary echo chamber last year.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 10:08:57 PM »

This place was really a Hillary echo chamber last year.

What does that have to do with this?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 10:52:00 PM »

Sometimes. What I've found harder is being a social conservative. I suppose being a true Trump supporter would be rough too, though.
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 01:34:52 AM »

I guess that it does open you up to getting dogpiled by a bunch of liberals, but honestly, a lot of the die hard Trump supporters on this forum say incredibly ignorant and rude things, so they made their own bed I guess.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 01:45:46 AM »

It's hard to be common-sense on Atlas.

During the past few years there were many extremely delusional, ultra-leftist open-border and defenders of immigrant criminals here. Unbearable folk.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 03:25:32 AM »
« Edited: July 10, 2017, 03:43:59 AM by Jacobin American »

Being a Republican on Atlas isn't hard; members like Badger and TD are pretty well liked and respected. For example, TD and I disagree on a lot of issues, but I respect him and appreciate his contributions here; same with Badger. However, being a Trump supporter or a social/cultural conservative does seem considerably more challenging. The forum is disproportionately secular and liberal, which results in a rather widespread hostility towards Trump's brand of politics and socially conservative viewpoints. It doesn't help that most (but not all) of those contributors here are walking stereotypes.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 03:50:26 AM »

Being a Republican on Atlas isn't hard; members like Badger and TD are pretty well liked and respected. For example, TD and I disagree on a lot of issues, but I respect him and appreciate his contributions here; same with Badger. However, being a Trump supporter or a social/cultural conservative does seem considerably more challenging. The forum is disproportionately secular and liberal, which results in a rather widespread hostility towards Trump's brand of politics and socially conservative viewpoints. It doesn't help that most (but not all) of those contributors here are walking stereotypes.

what about me , you guys seem to dislike me and I am a Never Trump Republican.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 04:38:26 AM »

I can only speak for myself, but I don't have any issue with you. Most members here seem to debate you, rather than treat you with disdain like they do Sanchez and others. We just disagree with you a lot, which is fine and healthy, since you represent an opposing ideological viewpoint.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 04:53:09 AM »

It's not the blue avatar in itself. Being a fiscally conservative socially liberal RINO isn't hard -- but being a social conservative can be, being a nationalist can be, and being a Trump supporter can be. That said, there are still so many more viewpoints represented and (in particular) accepted here than on AAD. Though I stick around at both places so ultimately I don't care much.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 04:59:02 AM »

I mean, this forum is full of young people who have no calms with literal nazis.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 05:35:28 AM »

Sometimes. What I've found harder is being a social conservative. I suppose being a true Trump supporter would be rough too, though.

It's supposed to be hard. If you're part of any community that's generally socially permissive, 40% LGBT etc then it should be hard to be socially conservative/restrictive because either interaction with others mitigates or changes views or if they remain entrenched, to share them will be met with a pushback because  it's what communities do (conservative communities do the same)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 07:40:02 AM »

Being a deplorable isn't that hard here, really.  Like jfern noted it's better than being an echo chamber/circle jerk for one side.  I like it when I get blasted, at least someone's reading my stuff on USGD.  Tongue
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 08:46:59 AM »

It is hard to be a true conservative who believes in Divine Right, caste, imperialism, and the restoration of Byzantium.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 10:55:11 AM »

It's not the blue avatar in itself. Being a fiscally conservative socially liberal RINO isn't hard -- but being a social conservative can be, being a nationalist can be, and being a Trump supporter can be. That said, there are still so many more viewpoints represented and (in particular) accepted here than on AAD. Though I stick around at both places so ultimately I don't care much.

I don't feel like copying this into the irony thread, but did you just call a "fiscally conservative socially liberal" Republican a "RINO" while you're just rocking the equally "unRepublican," inverse of that political orientation?  You're no less of a RINO than I am.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2017, 10:58:06 AM »

I can only speak for myself, but I don't have any issue with you. Most members here seem to debate you, rather than treat you with disdain like they do Sanchez and others. We just disagree with you a lot, which is fine and healthy, since you represent an opposing ideological viewpoint.
No cause many posters just use idiotic personal attacks when responding to me
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 11:01:34 AM »

No cause many posters just use idiotic personal attacks when responding to me
You make it hard not to.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 11:20:29 AM »

No, I don't care if people don't like my politics. No one is obligated to like my politics. I feel that I get along with most posters here despite some of my unpopular policy views.

I've never felt victimized or demonized for being a Republican by any serious poster.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2017, 11:34:26 AM »

I don't feel like copying this into the irony thread, but did you just call a "fiscally conservative socially liberal" Republican a "RINO" while you're just rocking the equally "unRepublican," inverse of that political orientation?  You're no less of a RINO than I am.
I'm not even talking about myself, as I am not a Republican (not an American), not necessarily a Trump supporter and not particularly socially conservative in the American sense of the word; I simply recognize that it isn't always easy for people like RFayette and TJ. I do wonder, however, why you feel offended by the idea of "fiscal conservatives, social liberals" being RINOs... while calling yourself a RINO.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2017, 11:39:41 AM »

I'm not even talking about myself, as I am not a Republican (not an American), not necessarily a Trump supporter and not particularly socially conservative in the American sense of the word; I simply recognize that it isn't always easy for people like RFayette and TJ. I do wonder, however, why you feel offended by the idea of "fiscal conservatives, social liberals" being RINOs... while calling yourself a RINO.

If someone calls you something enough, sometimes you jokingly and sarcastically go along with it ... hence, my username. Smiley  I personally don't think the words "RINO" and "DINO" can be intellectually used 99% of the time.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2017, 11:43:48 AM »

In all honesty, there are a lot of views of mine I don't express, knowing that I'm unlikely to actually persuade anybody, and they certain people strongly regard certain features of theirs as part of their "identity". Not worth my time to get involved in one of those tussles. Even if simply asking questions, the vast majority of responses would be vitriol.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies