Is it hard to be a Republican on Atlas?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:14:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is it hard to be a Republican on Atlas?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: Is it hard to be a Republican on Atlas?
Yes

No

Sometimes

Much worse if you support Trump

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 101

Author Topic: Is it hard to be a Republican on Atlas?  (Read 7786 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2017, 10:11:57 AM »

I think I was more popular when I was a Pub than am I now as a Dem. I mean, Grumps once used to like me. I would like to think the quality of the posts has more to do with one's reputation, than any party label, or ideological perspective if not way out there.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2017, 10:16:45 AM »

I think I was more popular when I was a Pub than am I now as a Dem. I mean, Grumps once used to like me. I would like to think the quality of the posts has more to do with one's reputation, than any party label, or ideological perspective if not way out there.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=269119.msg5757225#msg5757225
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2017, 11:17:24 AM »

Only if your goal is to be popular.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2017, 01:03:15 PM »

I think the party change has less to with it than the location change. Tongue
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2017, 10:33:11 PM »

It's really not too bad.

You want to see someone get piled on, try making a comment on NationStates's forum that isn't to the left or Trotskyism and watch yourself get piled on. So since I was a member there before I was here, this doesn't feel so bad. I am (as I imagine most Millennial conservatives are) used to being in the minority on the Internet.

People here may disagree with me but aren't usually mean to me about it.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2017, 08:10:14 AM »

Few things are as depressing to me as hearing Republicans shout about "free markets" for healthcare since it displays profound ignorance of how insurance markets actually operate.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2017, 03:29:01 PM »

Those who think so are so full of sh**t.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2017, 03:54:37 PM »

Few things are as depressing to me as hearing Republicans shout about "free markets" for healthcare since it displays profound ignorance of how insurance markets actually operate.

LOL, just don't talk about politics.  We Republicans are perfectly capable about talking about our favorite sports, vacation destinations, beers, etc. Smiley
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2017, 07:51:43 PM »

Today, I don't think I've ever felt more responsible for the actions of people I hate.  Somehow, all Republicans and I are responsible for the actions in Charlottesville today of a few nut jobs who believe that their race is superior, despite us all condemning such atrocities.  We are somehow responsible for all the racial injustice in America now.

Every day, it's another scandal being discussed here about Trump.  But if a Hillary scandal comes up?  "No.  This is just an attempt to divert from Trump.  Republicans are holding on to the past."  (I am not saying to ignore Trump scandals. We should take EVERY scandal seriously, regardless of the person's party, until proven otherwise) And don't even try suggesting a Democratic politician is involved in a scandal because you get mobbed and attacked for God knows what.  In addition to that, many Republicans that are attempting to answer insulting questions about themselves and their "fascism, anti-immigrant positions," etc. just sit there and take it.  The Republicans on this site are more disunited than Republicans in Congress.  And that's hardly possible. 

I hate being known as part of the "dog-whistle, anti-immigrant, white supremacist, rich guy, anti-woman" party.  None of that is even remotely true.  But here? Don't even bother defending it.

I've met Democrats here on this site who don't resort to such disgusting name-calling, and to those of you, I thank you greatly.

I'm sick and tired of this s*** of being labeled someone I'm not even close to by a good portion of Atlas.

Part of me wants to have a Clinton presidency now just to know what it's like to be on the other side.  But I know there wouldn't be much improvement, if any.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2017, 07:58:35 PM »

Just a side note: I got kicked from AH.com for a week for saying that Trump wasn't racist and sexist.
I was banned for making pro-Confederacy, obviously mockery thereof, jokes.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2017, 07:59:51 PM »

Just a side note: I got kicked from AH.com for a week for saying that Trump wasn't racist and sexist.
I was banned for making pro-Confederacy, obviously mockery thereof, jokes.
They are shockingly strict over there.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2017, 08:05:49 PM »

^There are always going to be people who overgeneralize, and won't be satisfied with individuals who denounce violence coming from those on their side of the political aisle. And consistency is not easy for most people; some don't even bother trying to be consistent. I don't doubt that what you say is true, and that there are liberals who lump you together with the protestors today. I can tell you that I've also been lumped in with some less than ideal people, as a Sanders supporter. It's true that many on the left care much more about Trump's scandals than Clinton's or any Democrat's. It's also true that many on the right are content ignoring Trump's scandals and statements, after getting furious at Obama for making statements that were harmless in comparison.

You seem like a decent poster, and you don't deserve to be judged by what the worst on the right do. Judging  people on an individual basis, and holding members of both parties to the same standard seems impossible for many.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2017, 08:07:00 PM »

^There are always going to be people who overgeneralize, and won't be satisfied with individuals who denounce violence coming from those on their side of the political aisle. And consistency is not easy for most people; some don't even bother trying to be consistent. I don't doubt that what you say is true, and that there are liberals who lump you together with the protestors today. I can tell you that I've also been lumped in with some less than ideal people, as a Sanders supporter. It's true that many on the left care much more about Trump's scandals than Clinton's or any Democrat's. It's also true that many on the right are content ignoring Trump's scandals and statements, after getting furious at Obama for making statements that were harmless in comparison.

You seem like a decent poster, and you don't deserve to be judged by what the worst on the right do. Judging  people on an individual basis, and holding members of both parties to the same standard seems impossible for many.

Thanks.  I guess I just need to let some things go.  Sometimes I take things a little too hard.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2017, 08:07:57 PM »

Cry me a river. 2% of all my posts are moderated and there's a thread on the front page of this subforum asking people if I'm the most messed up person they've ever met. I'm a Democrat.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2017, 08:11:24 PM »

Today, I don't think I've ever felt more responsible for the actions of people I hate.  Somehow, all Republicans and I are responsible for the actions in Charlottesville today of a few nut jobs who believe that their race is superior, despite us all condemning such atrocities.  We are somehow responsible for all the racial injustice in America now.

Every day, it's another scandal being discussed here about Trump.  But if a Hillary scandal comes up?  "No.  This is just an attempt to divert from Trump.  Republicans are holding on to the past."  (I am not saying to ignore Trump scandals. We should take EVERY scandal seriously, regardless of the person's party, until proven otherwise) And don't even try suggesting a Democratic politician is involved in a scandal because you get mobbed and attacked for God knows what.  In addition to that, many Republicans that are attempting to answer insulting questions about themselves and their "fascism, anti-immigrant positions," etc. just sit there and take it.  The Republicans on this site are more disunited than Republicans in Congress.  And that's hardly possible. 

I hate being known as part of the "dog-whistle, anti-immigrant, white supremacist, rich guy, anti-woman" party.  None of that is even remotely true.  But here? Don't even bother defending it.

I've met Democrats here on this site who don't resort to such disgusting name-calling, and to those of you, I thank you greatly.

I'm sick and tired of this s*** of being labeled someone I'm not even close to by a good portion of Atlas.

Part of me wants to have a Clinton presidency now just to know what it's like to be on the other side.  But I know there wouldn't be much improvement, if any.

Congratulations. Today is the first time you have shared the experience millions of minorities in America experience everyday. It seems obvious that we need to say that the actions of the neonazis in Charlottesville are not indicative of all Republicans or all white people. That is obvious.

But somehow, the right doesn't want to extend that same logic to minorities across America.

The African-American kid in the park shot by the police because of implicit biases that black men are dangerous and criminals, stemming from the crack epidemic of the 80s. Wouldn't it be nice for that kid to not be labeled "dangerous" because of previous perceptions of completely different people?

The muslim American who is "randomly searched" at the airport because of actions done by radical and extremist terrorists with no relation whatsoever to him - wouldn't it be nice for that American to go to through the airport unbothered because of his faith?

The immigrant woman who is harassed by men and women on the street for being a "leech on America," coming over here and "stealing their jobs and Social Security" - wouldn't it be nice if those people judged her by how much she contributes to the country she loves so much by working hard at her job?

Minorities always have to act their best because they are judged by their worst members. They're held responsible for the actions of every single person who shares their skin color or faith. White people, Republicans, whoever, have the privilege to separate themselves away from the undesirable racists, terrorists, white supremacists.

I completely understand why you're so distraught about today. I agree - this forum is a bit too reckless in attacking many of its members - but that is a reality so many people live in, day in and day out.

It wasn't always easy for me to grow up biracial in starkly white South Dakota, but thankfully I wasn't barraged by racially-fueled insults and dog-whistles. I realize I've had it relatively easy compared to many people in my country, from black to hispanic, Asian to Native American, Muslim, Jewish, Sikh, and everyone else.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2017, 08:28:08 PM »

I can only imagine, what with white nationalists/supremacists and their apologists on the up-and-up in the wake of Trump's victory. 
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2017, 09:24:10 PM »

Congratulations. Today is the first time you have shared the experience millions of minorities in America experience everyday. It seems obvious that we need to say that the actions of the neonazis in Charlottesville are not indicative of all Republicans or all white people. That is obvious.

But somehow, the right doesn't want to extend that same logic to minorities across America.

The African-American kid in the park shot by the police because of implicit biases that black men are dangerous and criminals, stemming from the crack epidemic of the 80s. Wouldn't it be nice for that kid to not be labeled "dangerous" because of previous perceptions of completely different people?

The muslim American who is "randomly searched" at the airport because of actions done by radical and extremist terrorists with no relation whatsoever to him - wouldn't it be nice for that American to go to through the airport unbothered because of his faith?

The immigrant woman who is harassed by men and women on the street for being a "leech on America," coming over here and "stealing their jobs and Social Security" - wouldn't it be nice if those people judged her by how much she contributes to the country she loves so much by working hard at her job?

Minorities always have to act their best because they are judged by their worst members. They're held responsible for the actions of every single person who shares their skin color or faith. White people, Republicans, whoever, have the privilege to separate themselves away from the undesirable racists, terrorists, white supremacists.

I completely understand why you're so distraught about today. I agree - this forum is a bit too reckless in attacking many of its members - but that is a reality so many people live in, day in and day out.

It wasn't always easy for me to grow up biracial in starkly white South Dakota, but thankfully I wasn't barraged by racially-fueled insults and dog-whistles. I realize I've had it relatively easy compared to many people in my country, from black to hispanic, Asian to Native American, Muslim, Jewish, Sikh, and everyone else.
Excellent post, Kamala. You reap what you sow.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2017, 05:50:04 AM »

Cry me a river. 2% of all my posts are moderated and there's a thread on the front page of this subforum asking people if I'm the most messed up person they've ever met. I'm a Democrat.

They have a point though

AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2017, 07:26:09 PM »

I haven't been posting here long, but have popped in to lurk every few months for probably close to a decade to get an idea of what people are saying on certain issues (and because there is often some good discussion on demographics and redistricting in that specific forum; a hobby of mine).  Finally had free time to register/post recently.  I'm not a R (though in the past I've been registered as a R in NY).  I vote R and D about equally.

As someone who is both non-religious, but also a strong traditionalist and something of a "light paleo-con" on a lot of issues, I suspect I'm very much in a minority here.  In fact, I doubt there are more than half a dozen active posters here who are even close to my political views.

That being said, I've never found it "hard" to either post here or read the forum.  I'm a little bit older than the mean poster probably (I'm in my 30s), and some posts, particularly by younger posters, will obviously lack historical perspective or won't be terribly sophisticated, or will tend to exaggerate the importance of certain things.  But then again, was I any different when I was a college student?  Not particularly.

I've never had a problem just scrolling past some of the more "dumb" posts, when I see them.  I've never really understood people who are so sensitive to things said on an internet forum... I just roll my eyes and move on, it's just text on a computer screen... it's not like I know anyone personally here, so who cares?
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2017, 07:38:08 PM »

In light of, to put it very lightly "blunders" by past GOP leaders, there is quite a stigma about being Republican on Atlas.

As a Republican-leaning Independent, the GOP is probably as popular as head lice and lukewarm coffee.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2017, 07:49:40 PM »

It's not nearly hard enough
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2017, 09:21:16 PM »

Say it louder for those in the back! *applause*
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2017, 09:14:49 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2017, 09:41:50 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

I'm a 60 year old parent of a 12 year old with serious ADHD.  My 62 year old wife and myself have adopted him; he's our grandson, and the son of my son and his mentally ill wife, who also live with us.  (They'd be homeless if they didn't.)  I have dealt with the public school system, which has dealt with him unfairly, and which allowed him to be bullied and beaten up (he's small in stature), doing little to protect him.  (And, yes, the majority of kids that bullied him were minorities, yet none of the SJWs cry a river for him.)  I've worked two (2) jobs for most of the last 10 years to support not just my son, but my adult son and his wife, so my wife can work a job that allows her flexibility to meet a number of needs for my son and my mentally ill daughter-in-law.  So, yes, being a Republican on Atlas is a piece of cake.  I know the difference between what's hard and what passes for hard.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies