Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2017, 11:59:23 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Cast your Ballot in the 2016 Mock Election

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Forum Community (Moderators: Generally Useless, Cath, TJ in Wisco)
| | |-+  Is it hard to be a Republican on Atlas?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Poll
Question: Is it hard to be a Republican on Atlas?
Yes   -14 (13.7%)
No   -32 (31.4%)
Sometimes   -13 (12.7%)
Much worse if you support Trump   -43 (42.2%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 102

Author Topic: Is it hard to be a Republican on Atlas?  (Read 3141 times)
3D X 31
tmcusa2
YaBB God
Sweden
View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2017, 09:52:36 am »
Ignore

This place was really a Hillary echo chamber last year.

Definitely was. I was relentlessly attacked constantly
Of course, I agree. As I have said many times, this site is nothing but a Borg Collective.

I'd like to find a support group for internet addicts. The trouble is, they're all online.

"Spock you're the most cold-blooded man I've ever known."

"Why thank you Doctor"

help with posting:
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=help;page=post#bbcref
RINO Tom
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -4.70

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2017, 10:43:05 am »
Ignore

Few things are as depressing to me as hearing Republicans shout about "free markets" for healthcare since it displays profound ignorance of how insurance markets actually operate.

Freeer* markets.  As my CFO-of-a-hospital-father opined, Trumpcare is a shltstorm that pushes the needle in a better direction (as opposed to single payer, which is certainly the end goal of Obamacare for many liberals who "supported it" in 2008).

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

- Abraham Lincoln, 16th President
Gay Republican
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2017, 06:30:56 am »
Ignore

lol, you guys have it so easy.
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
Samoa

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2017, 10:11:57 am »
Ignore

I think I was more popular when I was a Pub than am I now as a Dem. I mean, Grumps once used to like me. I would like to think the quality of the posts has more to do with one's reputation, than any party label, or ideological perspective if not way out there.
Alt-Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
Vatican City State
View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2017, 10:16:45 am »
Ignore

I think I was more popular when I was a Pub than am I now as a Dem. I mean, Grumps once used to like me. I would like to think the quality of the posts has more to do with one's reputation, than any party label, or ideological perspective if not way out there.

http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=269119.msg5757225#msg5757225

You exemplify everything wrong and disgusting about our country.

Can we please, please not allow Grumps' staggering stupidity to derail another thread?

In America, we don't worship government - we worship God.
Vice President PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2017, 11:17:24 am »
Ignore

Only if your goal is to be popular.

Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2017, 01:03:15 pm »
Ignore

I think the party change has less to with it than the location change. Tongue

The result of a neocon and libertarian having a baby while drunk, and leaving it to be raised by hippie liberal wolves.
Here is my attempt and explaining my own confusing and contradictory views
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2017, 10:33:11 pm »
Ignore

It's really not too bad.

You want to see someone get piled on, try making a comment on NationStates's forum that isn't to the left or Trotskyism and watch yourself get piled on. So since I was a member there before I was here, this doesn't feel so bad. I am (as I imagine most Millennial conservatives are) used to being in the minority on the Internet.

People here may disagree with me but aren't usually mean to me about it.

Say NO to mediocrity!
#FireGarPax
Jacobin American
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -6.70

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2017, 08:10:14 am »
Ignore

Few things are as depressing to me as hearing Republicans shout about "free markets" for healthcare since it displays profound ignorance of how insurance markets actually operate.

Coraxion
YaBB God
Ethiopia

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2017, 03:29:01 pm »
Ignore

Those who think so are so full of sh**t.

Senate Endorsements
AL: Doug Jones
NV: Jacky Rosen
AZ: Kyrsten Sinema
TX: Beto O'Rourke
UT: Jim Matheson
MO: Claire McCaskill
IN: Joe Donnelly
WV: Joe Manchin
MT: Jon Tester
ND: Heidi Heitkamp
WI: Tammy Baldwin
OH: Sherrod Brown
MI: Debbie Stabenow
FL: Bill Nelson
ME: Angus King
VA: Tim Kaine
PA: Bob Casey
RINO Tom
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -4.70

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2017, 03:54:37 pm »
Ignore

LOL, just don't talk about politics.  We Republicans are perfectly capable about talking about our favorite sports, vacation destinations, beers, etc. Smiley

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

- Abraham Lincoln, 16th President
Governor-elect Ed Gillespie
TheSaint250
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2017, 07:51:43 pm »
Ignore

Today, I don't think I've ever felt more responsible for the actions of people I hate.  Somehow, all Republicans and I are responsible for the actions in Charlottesville today of a few nut jobs who believe that their race is superior, despite us all condemning such atrocities.  We are somehow responsible for all the racial injustice in America now.

Every day, it's another scandal being discussed here about Trump.  But if a Hillary scandal comes up?  "No.  This is just an attempt to divert from Trump.  Republicans are holding on to the past."  (I am not saying to ignore Trump scandals. We should take EVERY scandal seriously, regardless of the person's party, until proven otherwise) And don't even try suggesting a Democratic politician is involved in a scandal because you get mobbed and attacked for God knows what.  In addition to that, many Republicans that are attempting to answer insulting questions about themselves and their "fascism, anti-immigrant positions," etc. just sit there and take it.  The Republicans on this site are more disunited than Republicans in Congress.  And that's hardly possible. 

I hate being known as part of the "dog-whistle, anti-immigrant, white supremacist, rich guy, anti-woman" party.  None of that is even remotely true.  But here? Don't even bother defending it.

I've met Democrats here on this site who don't resort to such disgusting name-calling, and to those of you, I thank you greatly.

I'm sick and tired of this s*** of being labeled someone I'm not even close to by a good portion of Atlas.

Part of me wants to have a Clinton presidency now just to know what it's like to be on the other side.  But I know there wouldn't be much improvement, if any.

Moderate Republican

I never said this is normal, and please save the stupid "you worship him" s***. I don't even support him anymore. I just think it's idiotic to complain and make a huge deal out of confusing two people.

Seriously, I have said a bunch of times that I don't support him and that I will vote for his primary challenger (if he doesn't get impeached first).
Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2017, 07:58:35 pm »
Ignore

Just a side note: I got kicked from AH.com for a week for saying that Trump wasn't racist and sexist.
I was banned for making pro-Confederacy, obviously mockery thereof, jokes.

"America now is stumbling through the darkness of hatred and divisiveness. Our values, our principles, and our determination to succeed as a free and democratic people will give us a torch to light the way." - Gerald Ford

"Good speech and good looks covers man's every vice. Plain speech and plain looks covers man's every virtue."

Economic: 1.38
Social: -2.36

LOA for 3+ Days For cognitive rest after a concussion
TheSaint250
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2017, 07:59:51 pm »
Ignore

Just a side note: I got kicked from AH.com for a week for saying that Trump wasn't racist and sexist.
I was banned for making pro-Confederacy, obviously mockery thereof, jokes.
They are shockingly strict over there.

Moderate Republican

I never said this is normal, and please save the stupid "you worship him" s***. I don't even support him anymore. I just think it's idiotic to complain and make a huge deal out of confusing two people.

Seriously, I have said a bunch of times that I don't support him and that I will vote for his primary challenger (if he doesn't get impeached first).
xīngkěru
xingkerui
YaBB God
Taiwan

Political Matrix
E: -5.63, S: -6.13

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2017, 08:05:49 pm »
Ignore

^There are always going to be people who overgeneralize, and won't be satisfied with individuals who denounce violence coming from those on their side of the political aisle. And consistency is not easy for most people; some don't even bother trying to be consistent. I don't doubt that what you say is true, and that there are liberals who lump you together with the protestors today. I can tell you that I've also been lumped in with some less than ideal people, as a Sanders supporter. It's true that many on the left care much more about Trump's scandals than Clinton's or any Democrat's. It's also true that many on the right are content ignoring Trump's scandals and statements, after getting furious at Obama for making statements that were harmless in comparison.

You seem like a decent poster, and you don't deserve to be judged by what the worst on the right do. Judging  people on an individual basis, and holding members of both parties to the same standard seems impossible for many.

TheSaint250
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2017, 08:07:00 pm »
Ignore

^There are always going to be people who overgeneralize, and won't be satisfied with individuals who denounce violence coming from those on their side of the political aisle. And consistency is not easy for most people; some don't even bother trying to be consistent. I don't doubt that what you say is true, and that there are liberals who lump you together with the protestors today. I can tell you that I've also been lumped in with some less than ideal people, as a Sanders supporter. It's true that many on the left care much more about Trump's scandals than Clinton's or any Democrat's. It's also true that many on the right are content ignoring Trump's scandals and statements, after getting furious at Obama for making statements that were harmless in comparison.

You seem like a decent poster, and you don't deserve to be judged by what the worst on the right do. Judging  people on an individual basis, and holding members of both parties to the same standard seems impossible for many.

Thanks.  I guess I just need to let some things go.  Sometimes I take things a little too hard.

Moderate Republican

Coraxion
YaBB God
Ethiopia

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2017, 08:07:57 pm »
Ignore

Cry me a river. 2% of all my posts are moderated and there's a thread on the front page of this subforum asking people if I'm the most messed up person they've ever met. I'm a Democrat.

Senate Endorsements
Commiela🌹
Kamala
YaBB God
Madagascar

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2017, 08:11:24 pm »
Ignore

Today, I don't think I've ever felt more responsible for the actions of people I hate.  Somehow, all Republicans and I are responsible for the actions in Charlottesville today of a few nut jobs who believe that their race is superior, despite us all condemning such atrocities.  We are somehow responsible for all the racial injustice in America now.

Every day, it's another scandal being discussed here about Trump.  But if a Hillary scandal comes up?  "No.  This is just an attempt to divert from Trump.  Republicans are holding on to the past."  (I am not saying to ignore Trump scandals. We should take EVERY scandal seriously, regardless of the person's party, until proven otherwise) And don't even try suggesting a Democratic politician is involved in a scandal because you get mobbed and attacked for God knows what.  In addition to that, many Republicans that are attempting to answer insulting questions about themselves and their "fascism, anti-immigrant positions," etc. just sit there and take it.  The Republicans on this site are more disunited than Republicans in Congress.  And that's hardly possible. 

I hate being known as part of the "dog-whistle, anti-immigrant, white supremacist, rich guy, anti-woman" party.  None of that is even remotely true.  But here? Don't even bother defending it.

I've met Democrats here on this site who don't resort to such disgusting name-calling, and to those of you, I thank you greatly.

I'm sick and tired of this s*** of being labeled someone I'm not even close to by a good portion of Atlas.

Part of me wants to have a Clinton presidency now just to know what it's like to be on the other side.  But I know there wouldn't be much improvement, if any.

Congratulations. Today is the first time you have shared the experience millions of minorities in America experience everyday. It seems obvious that we need to say that the actions of the neonazis in Charlottesville are not indicative of all Republicans or all white people. That is obvious.

But somehow, the right doesn't want to extend that same logic to minorities across America.

The African-American kid in the park shot by the police because of implicit biases that black men are dangerous and criminals, stemming from the crack epidemic of the 80s. Wouldn't it be nice for that kid to not be labeled "dangerous" because of previous perceptions of completely different people?

The muslim American who is "randomly searched" at the airport because of actions done by radical and extremist terrorists with no relation whatsoever to him - wouldn't it be nice for that American to go to through the airport unbothered because of his faith?

The immigrant woman who is harassed by men and women on the street for being a "leech on America," coming over here and "stealing their jobs and Social Security" - wouldn't it be nice if those people judged her by how much she contributes to the country she loves so much by working hard at her job?

Minorities always have to act their best because they are judged by their worst members. They're held responsible for the actions of every single person who shares their skin color or faith. White people, Republicans, whoever, have the privilege to separate themselves away from the undesirable racists, terrorists, white supremacists.

I completely understand why you're so distraught about today. I agree - this forum is a bit too reckless in attacking many of its members - but that is a reality so many people live in, day in and day out.

It wasn't always easy for me to grow up biracial in starkly white South Dakota, but thankfully I wasn't barraged by racially-fueled insults and dog-whistles. I realize I've had it relatively easy compared to many people in my country, from black to hispanic, Asian to Native American, Muslim, Jewish, Sikh, and everyone else.

Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2017, 08:28:08 pm »
Ignore

I can only imagine, what with white nationalists/supremacists and their apologists on the up-and-up in the wake of Trump's victory. 

Coraxion
YaBB God
Ethiopia

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2017, 09:24:10 pm »
Ignore

Congratulations. Today is the first time you have shared the experience millions of minorities in America experience everyday. It seems obvious that we need to say that the actions of the neonazis in Charlottesville are not indicative of all Republicans or all white people. That is obvious.

But somehow, the right doesn't want to extend that same logic to minorities across America.

The African-American kid in the park shot by the police because of implicit biases that black men are dangerous and criminals, stemming from the crack epidemic of the 80s. Wouldn't it be nice for that kid to not be labeled "dangerous" because of previous perceptions of completely different people?

The muslim American who is "randomly searched" at the airport because of actions done by radical and extremist terrorists with no relation whatsoever to him - wouldn't it be nice for that American to go to through the airport unbothered because of his faith?

The immigrant woman who is harassed by men and women on the street for being a "leech on America," coming over here and "stealing their jobs and Social Security" - wouldn't it be nice if those people judged her by how much she contributes to the country she loves so much by working hard at her job?

Minorities always have to act their best because they are judged by their worst members. They're held responsible for the actions of every single person who shares their skin color or faith. White people, Republicans, whoever, have the privilege to separate themselves away from the undesirable racists, terrorists, white supremacists.

I completely understand why you're so distraught about today. I agree - this forum is a bit too reckless in attacking many of its members - but that is a reality so many people live in, day in and day out.

It wasn't always easy for me to grow up biracial in starkly white South Dakota, but thankfully I wasn't barraged by racially-fueled insults and dog-whistles. I realize I've had it relatively easy compared to many people in my country, from black to hispanic, Asian to Native American, Muslim, Jewish, Sikh, and everyone else.
Excellent post, Kamala. You reap what you sow.

Senate Endorsements
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2017, 05:50:04 am »
Ignore

Cry me a river. 2% of all my posts are moderated and there's a thread on the front page of this subforum asking people if I'm the most messed up person they've ever met. I'm a Democrat.

They have a point though

AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.78

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2017, 07:26:09 pm »
Ignore

I haven't been posting here long, but have popped in to lurk every few months for probably close to a decade to get an idea of what people are saying on certain issues (and because there is often some good discussion on demographics and redistricting in that specific forum; a hobby of mine).  Finally had free time to register/post recently.  I'm not a R (though in the past I've been registered as a R in NY).  I vote R and D about equally.

As someone who is both non-religious, but also a strong traditionalist and something of a "light paleo-con" on a lot of issues, I suspect I'm very much in a minority here.  In fact, I doubt there are more than half a dozen active posters here who are even close to my political views.

That being said, I've never found it "hard" to either post here or read the forum.  I'm a little bit older than the mean poster probably (I'm in my 30s), and some posts, particularly by younger posters, will obviously lack historical perspective or won't be terribly sophisticated, or will tend to exaggerate the importance of certain things.  But then again, was I any different when I was a college student?  Not particularly.

I've never had a problem just scrolling past some of the more "dumb" posts, when I see them.  I've never really understood people who are so sensitive to things said on an internet forum... I just roll my eyes and move on, it's just text on a computer screen... it's not like I know anyone personally here, so who cares?

Veteran, Attorney, Nationalist, Apatheist, Pragmatist, Realist (foreign policy), NY native, votes D and R with roughly equal frequency.

Favorite political book: Dalrymple's superb Life at the Bottom.

My definitive map of US Regions.

Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2017, 07:38:08 pm »
Ignore

In light of, to put it very lightly "blunders" by past GOP leaders, there is quite a stigma about being Republican on Atlas.

As a Republican-leaning Independent, the GOP is probably as popular as head lice and lukewarm coffee.

"I do not like broccoli. And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I'm President of the United States and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli." - George H. W. Bush

"A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, You are mad; you are not like us.'" - Saint Anthony The Great

AtorBoltox
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2017, 07:49:40 pm »
Ignore

It's not nearly hard enough
NJ is Better Than NE
nj_dem
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2017, 09:21:16 pm »
Ignore

Say it louder for those in the back! *applause*

Endorsements:
Allison Galbraith (MD-1)
Andy Kim (NJ-3)

Sun and Moon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout