AZ-SEN Class 1: Kelli or not-Kelli?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 09:14:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AZ-SEN Class 1: Kelli or not-Kelli?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 31
Poll
Question: Could Martha McSally become the establishment candidate?
Yes

No

Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: AZ-SEN Class 1: Kelli or not-Kelli?  (Read 66363 times)
fluffypanther19
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: October 24, 2017, 02:40:57 PM »

If Flake, the Republican incumbent Senator resigning is considered good for the GOP, then that might just go to show how bad their prospects in Arizona were looking already. An open seat in a competitive state in what is almost surely going to be a bad year for them is the last thing Republicans should want.
to be fair, Flake was going to be annihilated in both the primary and ge, this does give them a chance to recruit a candidate that at least has a shot on paper
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #426 on: October 24, 2017, 02:41:27 PM »

Bye bye cucks!
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #427 on: October 24, 2017, 02:41:34 PM »

Martha McSally would be an obvious choice... but then that house race shifts more D.

Good luck to her winning a primary though
She is waiting for McCain to retire and call upon her to be his successor.

This is good news for Republicans since someone else is naturally going to hop in the race. This person will not be a conspiracy theorist and not be the most unpopular senator in the country, so they already start out better then either past candidate. Sinema's chances go down now that she probably won't be facing such a horrible opponent.

Your assuming Ward loses if shes not facing Flake. I dont think she loses to any establishment GOP.

It doesn't need to be an establishment, chances are it will be someone more to the right like Brewer or Schweikert. Wards support was always built upon two things: Trump support and Anti-Washingtonism. With flake out, she no longer can run against "Washington Insiders." A challenger closer to Trump will easily obtain his support, since Ward's support for the White House was built on her simply not being Flake/McCain. The only way Ward wins in a hypothetical primary is if she has built enough of a brand in these early months that she has enough momentum to carry her into the general election.

I mean, she did just run against McCain.
60+ GOP Seats After 2018 GUARANTEED
ahugecat

« Reply #428 on: October 24, 2017, 02:41:39 PM »

Flake's retirement also kills Ward's chances. She is no Roy Moore, who had built deep support among GOP voters in his state over the years. In AZ, an establishment R with Trump's support will easily beat Ward.

Arizona is more GOP Establishment friendly than Alabama, yes. People want Trumpism though.

Ward can win with Trump's support - I am interested at seeing what Trump does now.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #429 on: October 24, 2017, 02:41:40 PM »

I'm finding it hilarious that Republicans on here are trying to spin this as a positive news story for them....lol.

Are you kidding me? This is the best news I've heard all week!

Okay...so you would rather have an open seat than a R-incumbent in a Trump midterm???

I don't care how awful Flake was,  you don't want open seats in a midterm,  it's a bad, negative thing for Republicans no matter how you spin it.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #430 on: October 24, 2017, 02:42:03 PM »

I've always heard terrible things about you, I hoped they were false and you weren't completely embarrassing the party (as much as it isn't already embarrassed by that Orange Moron we call President), I am sad to see that I am completely wrong.  

Your PM score is even worse than RINO Tom's.
ahugecat

« Reply #431 on: October 24, 2017, 02:42:35 PM »

I'm finding it hilarious that Republicans on here are trying to spin this as a positive news story for them....lol.

Okay...so you would rather have an open seat rather than a R-incumbent in a Trump midterm???

I don't care how awful Flake was,  you don't want open seats in a midterm,  it's a bad, negative thing for Republicans no matter how you spin it.

During the GOP primaries I said "I'd rather lose with Trump than win with Jeb!."

Winning with someone like Flake isn't even worth it. I'd rather struggle with someone like Ward.

The GOP will be fine in 2018.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #432 on: October 24, 2017, 02:43:35 PM »

Okay...so you would rather have an open seat than a R-incumbent in a Trump midterm???

Don't try to reason with losers.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #433 on: October 24, 2017, 02:43:42 PM »

_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #434 on: October 24, 2017, 02:45:11 PM »

I've always heard terrible things about you, I hoped they were false and you weren't completely embarrassing the party (as much as it isn't already embarrassed by that Orange Moron we call President), I am sad to see that I am completely wrong.  

No.

Right now I'm telling you no, it is not happening.  I may like and will vote for certain democrats (Lipinski, Duckworth, Bustos, Sherrod), but I will not join the Democratic Party.

Also

bandg
Rookie
« Reply #435 on: October 24, 2017, 02:46:02 PM »

Flake's retirement also kills Ward's chances. She is no Roy Moore, who had built deep support among GOP voters in his state over the years. In AZ, an establishment R with Trump's support will easily beat Ward.

Arizona is more GOP Establishment friendly than Alabama, yes. People want Trumpism though.

Ward can win with Trump's support - I am interested at seeing what Trump does now.

I highly highly doubt Trump will support Ward. He has already been in discussions with establishment Rs like Jeff Dewit.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #436 on: October 24, 2017, 02:46:52 PM »

I highly highly doubt Trump will support Ward. He has already been in discussions with establishment Rs like Jeff Dewit.

He's tweeted positive things about her.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #437 on: October 24, 2017, 02:47:02 PM »

As a moderate, Not_Madigan represents the true values of the GOP more than you do as a conservative Dixiecrat.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #438 on: October 24, 2017, 02:47:34 PM »

He's tweeted positive things about her.

Trump tweets positive things about women?
bandg
Rookie
« Reply #439 on: October 24, 2017, 02:47:39 PM »

It's a moot point, because Flake was never going to win the GOP primary.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #440 on: October 24, 2017, 02:48:08 PM »

As a moderate, Not_Madigan represents the true values of the GOP more than you do as a conservative Dixiecrat.

Thank you fellow RINO Wink
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #441 on: October 24, 2017, 02:48:29 PM »

Don't try to reason with losers.

It kinda is though.  I like Flake but he was going to get trashed in the primary anyway.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #442 on: October 24, 2017, 02:48:57 PM »

Thank you fellow RINO Wink

No problem Smiley
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #443 on: October 24, 2017, 02:49:08 PM »

I wonder what the chances that Flake is planning on being the McMullin for the 2020 presidential election.
ahugecat

« Reply #444 on: October 24, 2017, 02:50:15 PM »

Anyone got a link to Jeff DeWit's positions? I google but can't get anything.

I do get that DeWit endorsed Trump during the Arizona primary, so that's good.

I am reading about him right now and really like what I see. Gotta see positions first but so far so good. I don't care about social issues.

Dang I wish Ward won the 2016 primary.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #445 on: October 24, 2017, 02:50:31 PM »

Martha McSally would be an obvious choice... but then that house race shifts more D.

Good luck to her winning a primary though
She is waiting for McCain to retire and call upon her to be his successor.

This is good news for Republicans since someone else is naturally going to hop in the race. This person will not be a conspiracy theorist and not be the most unpopular senator in the country, so they already start out better then either past candidate. Sinema's chances go down now that she probably won't be facing such a horrible opponent.

Your assuming Ward loses if shes not facing Flake. I dont think she loses to any establishment GOP.

It doesn't need to be an establishment, chances are it will be someone more to the right like Brewer or Schweikert. Wards support was always built upon two things: Trump support and Anti-Washingtonism. With flake out, she no longer can run against "Washington Insiders." A challenger closer to Trump will easily obtain his support, since Ward's support for the White House was built on her simply not being Flake/McCain. The only way Ward wins in a hypothetical primary is if she has built enough of a brand in these early months that she has enough momentum to carry her into the general election.

I mean, she did just run against McCain.

And that brand was anti-Washington insider/entrenched incumbents. With Ward gone, she needs to hope her brand carry over into other fields.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #446 on: October 24, 2017, 02:51:02 PM »

I hear corks popping at the Sinema HQ

Tossup > Lean D

Ward will fall short.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #447 on: October 24, 2017, 02:52:06 PM »

I wonder what the chances that Flake is planning on being the McMullin for the 2020 presidential election.

Low, but he has nothing to lose so maybe if Trump's approval ratings really go down the tubes, he'd consider it.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #448 on: October 24, 2017, 02:52:37 PM »

Dems really shouldn't underestimate Ward. If Joni Ernst and Donald Trump can win, then an Ernst/Trump lovechild like Ward can win too.
ahugecat

« Reply #449 on: October 24, 2017, 02:53:34 PM »

Dems really shouldn't underestimate Ward. If Joni Ernst and Donald Trump can win, then an Ernst/Trump lovechild like Ward can win too.

No please let them underestimate her.

I LOVE being the underdog. It's why Trump continues to win.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies