2016 tie
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:56:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2016 tie
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2016 tie  (Read 798 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 03, 2017, 04:54:46 AM »

If this were the map of the latest presidential election, who do you think would win?
Would the winner be elected by the Electoral College or by Congress?
Would there still be as many faithless electors as in the last election?
Would the president and his deputy be members of different parties?
And would the outcome influence Evan McMullin's political future?

Clinton:
Trump:
McMullin:
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 08:23:52 AM »

The House elects Trump, the senate Pence.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 10:09:32 AM »

Don't you think there hadn't been 24 Republicans who would vote against Trump?
It's a pity that McCain, Cruz and S. Martinez aren't Representatives. It would have been to see whom they'd have cast their ballot for...
Medal506
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 04:35:09 PM »

Don't you think there hadn't been 24 Republicans who would vote against Trump?
It's a pity that McCain, Cruz and S. Martinez aren't Representatives. It would have been to see whom they'd have cast their ballot for...

Cruz endorsed Trump
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 06:01:20 PM »

By my count, there are over thirty (at the time sitting) Republican Representatives who didn't endorse Trump. Taking away the amount who retired or were defeated for re-election, there were 23 or 24. Assuming one more Trump-supporting Republican was defeated, or a higher amount, then it's presumably a deadlock. After the first ballot, in theory, a new candidate could be proposed.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 06:13:11 PM »

By my count, there are over thirty (at the time sitting) Republican Representatives who didn't endorse Trump. Taking away the amount who retired or were defeated for re-election, there were 23 or 24. Assuming one more Trump-supporting Republican was defeated, or a higher amount, then it's presumably a deadlock. After the first ballot, in theory, a new candidate could be proposed.

Thanks for your clarification.
In the meantime, I have concluded that Hillary winning a plurality of electoral votes would be even more interesting as that would have been the first time (under the current system) that candidate wins both the PV and the EV and still loses.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 03:31:41 PM »

No because in the House the election would be decided by the votes of state delegations, not individual members.

Depending on what happens in the popular vote (I'm assuming HRC still wins it with IRL levels of support), then the pressure would be on NC, GA, AZ and VA Republicans to vote with their state's populace and deliver those states for Hillary in the House.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 04:38:43 PM »

No because in the House the election would be decided by the votes of state delegations, not individual members.

Depending on what happens in the popular vote (I'm assuming HRC still wins it with IRL levels of support), then the pressure would be on NC, GA, AZ and VA Republicans to vote with their state's populace and deliver those states for Hillary in the House.

Michigan would tie, as would Virginia if Rigell could vote. Florida would vote against Trump. Pennsylvania would tie against Trump. Idaho would tie. As for Utah, that's an interesting situation. I imagine Love could convince one other Representative to vote against Trump.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 04:44:12 PM »

The key question is: Would the House Republicans vote like their state's populace or like their district's populace?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies