Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 16, 2017, 07:34:30 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Election 2018 predictions for US Senate are now open!.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash, Kalwejt)
| | |-+  Hypothetical: If Kim Jong-un suddenly dies, what happens to North Korea?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hypothetical: If Kim Jong-un suddenly dies, what happens to North Korea?  (Read 750 times)
ERM64man
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2017, 07:02:21 pm »
Ignore

If he dies of an illness or in some accident, what would be the fate of his regime? Might he have a designated successor? Would there be a military coup? Would the regime just collapse?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 07:25:53 pm by ERM64man »Logged

Senate endorsements:
AZ: Kyrsten Sinema
CA: Dianne Feinstein
FL: Bill Nelson
MA: Elizabeth Warren
ME: Angus King
MT: Jon Tester
NE: Jane Raybould
NY: Kirsten Gillibrand
TX: Beto O'Rourke

2020 Presidential endorsement:
Elizabeth Warren
Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 10:14:17 pm »
Ignore

The resulting confusion in the hierarchy would be interesting, to say the least. Kim Han-sol, Kim Jong-chul, Ri Yong-ho, Kim Ju-ae loyalists, and Choe Ryong-hae would presumably all compete for power. I think whoever Kim Sul-song sides with of the Kims would dominate in a short struggle for leadership.

There's always the possibility Sul-song herself takes over, at least maybe claiming to be a regent for Ju-ae, but I'm not sure how the populace and military would react to a female leader. Han-sol would gain the backing of South Korea, and possibly even China. If the Chinese allies in the government and military and the Chinese ambassador made it clear that they preferred Han-sol, it would be interesting to see what the remaining North Korean leaders would do.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 12:04:45 am by Kingpoleon »Logged

"America now is stumbling through the darkness of hatred and divisiveness. Our values, our principles, and our determination to succeed as a free and democratic people will give us a torch to light the way." - Gerald Ford

"Good speech and good looks covers man's every vice. Plain speech and plain looks covers man's every virtue."

Economic: 1.38
Social: -2.36
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 10:26:54 pm »
Ignore

The resulting confusion in the hierarchy would be interesting, to say the least. Kim Han-sol, Kim Jong-chun, Ri Yong-ho, Kim Ju-ae loyalists, and Choe Ryong-hae would presumably all compete for power. I think whoever Kim Sul-song sides with of the Kims would dominate in a short struggle for leadership.

There's always the possibility Sul-song herself takes over, at least maybe claiming to be a regent for Ju-ae, but I'm not sure how the populace and military would react to a female leader. Han-sol would gain the backing of South Korea, and possibly even China. If the Chinese allies in the government and military and the Chinese ambassador made it clear that they preferred Han-sol, it would be interesting to see what the remaining North Korean leaders would do.

If they're going to have a female ruler, it'd be his sister, Kim Yo-jong.

ERM64man
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 11:01:17 pm »
Ignore

It's more likely his brother Kim Jong-chul, or nephew, Kim Han-sol, takes over.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:04:25 pm by ERM64man »Logged

Senate endorsements:

Elizabeth Warren
Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 01:23:55 am »
Ignore

Han-sol only takes over if China forces it.

"America now is stumbling through the darkness of hatred and divisiveness. Our values, our principles, and our determination to succeed as a free and democratic people will give us a torch to light the way." - Gerald Ford

"Good speech and good looks covers man's every vice. Plain speech and plain looks covers man's every virtue."

ERM64man
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 02:49:33 pm »
Ignore

What about Kim-Jong-chul? Might he take over?

Senate endorsements:

Elizabeth Warren
Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 07:46:45 pm »
Ignore

What about Kim-Jong-chul? Might he take over?
Sure. He could gain the backing of the North Korean generals, but I'm not sure he can gain China's backing.

NJ is Better Than NE
nj_dem
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 10:08:06 pm »
Ignore

Regardless of who wins in the ensuing power struggle, chaos would inevitably ensue. At worst we would get an East Asian Syria, with millions of Korean refugees and a couple of missing nuclear weapons.

Endorsements:
Allison Galbraith (MD-1)
Andy Kim (NJ-3)

Sun and Moon
TML

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 01:43:16 am »
Ignore

I suspect the most likely outcome of this scenario would be that whoever succeeds him continues to stick to most existing policies (e.g. pursuit of nuclear weapons, hatred of US/SK/JP, etc.).
Kalwejt
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 03:12:37 am »

Han-sol only takes over if China forces it.

I, for one, Endorse Han Sol's possible seizure of power

Because Gillibrand sig is too mainstream

A note:

The fascist Kalwejt has once again deleted a whole thread I made in the International board today.
ERM64man
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 07:54:24 pm »
Ignore

Would there even be a power struggle, or does Kim-Jong-un have a designated successor in case he dies?

Senate endorsements:

Elizabeth Warren
Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 08:03:43 pm »
Ignore

Would there even be a power struggle, or does Kim-Jong-un have a designated successor in case he dies?
He has no official designated successor. It should be noted that Kim Jong-in wasn't expected to be his father's successor, though, and at times it has seemed a little suspicious that he took power.

Santander
YaBB God
Russian Federation

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 5.39

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 02:15:06 pm »
Ignore

There is none, because it's a democratic republic.

You are such a terrible person.
Santander is fascist scum. And worse, proud fascist scum. Only wolfsblood is worse.
Y'know, at least Santander embraces and admits to being a piece of s**t.
Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 05:07:10 pm »
Ignore

There is none, because it's a democratic *people's* republic.

Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 09:57:47 pm »
Ignore

North Korea would probably fall to American aggression without Kim's skilled leadership.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout