Kid Rock (Not) Running for Michigan Senate Seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:00:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kid Rock (Not) Running for Michigan Senate Seat
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: Kid Rock (Not) Running for Michigan Senate Seat  (Read 17626 times)
JoshPA
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 21, 2017, 05:55:35 PM »

Kid Rock is well known and well liked in Michigan, calling this safe D is beyond partisan hackery

Obviously it remains to be seen whether he is any good as a public speaker, campaigner, or fundraiser but if he is an adept candidate he can and in fact has a decent chance of winning. If he's not a good candidate he will get crushed, Michigan is much more elastic to message then most states.

But about ted nudget? I think his senate camp is out but the governor manison thought is winnable for him.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2017, 07:04:22 AM »

Politico: don't count him out if he actually runs, though Stabenow obviously still favored.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2017, 01:48:24 PM »

Kid Rock is well known and well liked in Michigan, calling this safe D is beyond partisan hackery

Obviously it remains to be seen whether he is any good as a public speaker, campaigner, or fundraiser but if he is an adept candidate he can and in fact has a decent chance of winning. If he's not a good candidate he will get crushed, Michigan is much more elastic to message then most states.

But about ted nudget? I think his senate camp is out but the governor manison thought is winnable for him.

Nugent wouldn't crack 40% in any statewide race.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2017, 02:41:52 PM »

And he is qualified how? Can anyone give any reasons why he is qualified?
he is a us citizen over the age of 35 that only things you need be qualified I didnt hear democrats bitching about al franken and I considered him qualified.

Al Franken went to harvard...
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2017, 03:23:41 PM »

he is a us citizen over the age of 35 that only things you need be qualified I didnt hear democrats bitching about al franken and I considered him qualified.

The age to run for Senate is 30, not 35. There is a differences between legal requirements and qualifications. As we have seen with Trump, qualifications and experience do matter.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2017, 03:34:30 PM »

Al Franken went to harvard...

and has proven himself a very effective and knowledgeable senator, which even his ideological opponents admit.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2017, 03:35:12 PM »

I know we should be taking Kid Rock's run seriously, but should we really be thinking he has a chance? He's going up against a popular democrat incumbent in an anti-trump midterm and who is someone who won by 21 points last election.

Thank you!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2017, 03:42:03 PM »

The analysis here, like the analysis everywhere saying take Kid Rock seriously is essentially this. Donald Trump, despite all his buffoonery, sexism, and repeated decades-long demonstration that he says and the Sphinx really really nasty offensive things, still beat a mainstream well-known Democratic woman in a traditionally Democratic state. Therefore Anything is Possible.

Which I suppose is true. After all then, could simply be hit by a meteor crashing to Earth which is after all technically possible. And the governor could appoint Kid Rock as the interim senator who would then run as an incumbent. It's still possible after all.

Or, Trump's win against Clinton who is a skin of the teeth fluke which most Blue Collar voters are feeling pretty betrayed about Trump stabbing them in the back for typical billionaire policies, Plus even Trump was a better candidate than Kid Rock because the former could at least point two decades worth of a ledge business success and say he would run dysfunctional Washington like a business and make it work. Kid Rock may have made tens of millions by marketing mostly crappy music, but voters aren't going to give him the same benefit of Doubt of well he's made money so he in business so he knows how to run things
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2017, 08:48:20 PM »

The analysis here, like the analysis everywhere saying take Kid Rock seriously is essentially this. Donald Trump, despite all his buffoonery, sexism, and repeated decades-long demonstration that he says and the Sphinx really really nasty offensive things, still beat a mainstream well-known Democratic woman in a traditionally Democratic state. Therefore Anything is Possible.

Which I suppose is true. After all then, could simply be hit by a meteor crashing to Earth which is after all technically possible. And the governor could appoint Kid Rock as the interim senator who would then run as an incumbent. It's still possible after all.

Or, Trump's win against Clinton who is a skin of the teeth fluke which most Blue Collar voters are feeling pretty betrayed about Trump stabbing them in the back for typical billionaire policies, Plus even Trump was a better candidate than Kid Rock because the former could at least point two decades worth of a ledge business success and say he would run dysfunctional Washington like a business and make it work. Kid Rock may have made tens of millions by marketing mostly crappy music, but voters aren't going to give him the same benefit of Doubt of well he's made money so he in business so he knows how to run things
This is what you and many, many others are and have been missing since '14: people don't vote for people because of their experiences anymore. They vote for people like Kid Rock (who I don't think will win anyway though it'd be fatal for to count him out) because he says what they think. If you read any of my Trump posts, especially my 2011-2012 posts when I hated him far more than you do now, you'd see that I have always thought running the country "like a business" is retarded. Mitt Romney ran on that exact same platform, perhaps even more so, whereas Trump sort of just stuck to "I'm independent" and "I'm with/for you."

If Kid Rock just runs on the basic premise of bread and butter retail politics, he'll have a chance. His persona though, as you noted, is harder to take seriously compared to Trump. But if he basically runs as a Michigander who is living the American dream, and then contrast himself to a potentially out of touch Stabenow, he very well might pull it off. If Stabenow takes him seriously, it would show that she is indeed in touch with her constituents and isn't drunk off the arrogance of power. Debbie Stabenow is no Hillary Clinton (certainly an establishment Senator, but without Clinton's many pitfalls) she should pull this off.

Eric Bolling is the only other "celebrity" candidate for federal office who I could see winning, because he, like Trump, literally explains his political maneuvering to the public as he does it. He won't face carpetbagging allegations if he comes to Florida and runs, for example, because he has made it clear that he is carpetbagging. Brutal honesty is a new tool in the political arena (at least I've never seen it deployed so much, so effectively) and it can make otherwise long shot candidates very successful.

Other celebrity candidates like Zuckerberg, Jenner are just too far out to ever actually win any office. But then again, so was The Governator. So who knows?
JMT

« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2017, 10:23:16 PM »

I do agree with others here who believe we need to take Kid Rock seriously, and you all have pointed out good reasons to do so. But I wouldn't start worrying just yet, because we still don't really know if this Senate candidacy is even real. I'll believe it when I see it (a.k.a when/if he files with the FEC to run). If he actually files, then it's time to start considering the true ramifications. 
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2017, 11:35:32 PM »

That poll was most likely fake, although I'm still much more cautious about this race than before. Kid Rock is slightly less offensive than Trump and hits the right notes with the key demographics needed for a Republican to win Michigan.

The morons in the political media also seem to have learned nothing from their fawning celebrity coverage of Trump early on, so I'm worried Rock will gets loads of free media.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #136 on: July 26, 2017, 06:02:50 PM »

Trafalgar Group will be releasing a poll tomorrow that includes Kid Rock. They've been on a hot streak lately, so this should be interesting.

https://twitter.com/RobertCahaly/status/890319293723942916
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #137 on: July 26, 2017, 07:26:53 PM »

Trafalgar Group will be releasing a poll tomorrow that includes Kid Rock. They've been on a hot streak lately, so this should be interesting.

Republican firm IIRC
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #138 on: July 26, 2017, 11:25:09 PM »

I think they have an R-bias, but reality has an R-bias right now so...

Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #139 on: July 27, 2017, 04:27:58 PM »

They just announced that they will be releasing the poll tomorrow at 10AM.

My guess: Stabenow +4 with many undecideds.

Should be interesting with what it gives. My guess is ether a comfortable Kid Rock lead or narrow Debbie lead. Given the roll unconventional candidates have been on reecently+how well known Kid Rock is in MI-Esp. among working class whites in SE Michigan I wouldn't discount him at all.

That said given the possible environment next year with an unpopular incumbent Republican President and that Stabenow is no HRC. Along with the fact that the GOP has had alot of difficulty winning Senate seats in Michigan I would give her a strong edge as of now.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #140 on: July 28, 2017, 09:06:15 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2017, 10:44:17 AM by Brittain33 »

Kid Rock is leading in a new poll!

I believe he is likely to defeat Stabenow.

Link

New MI-Sen poll coming soon from @trafalgar_group has @KidRock 48.6 vs @stabenow 46.1
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #141 on: July 28, 2017, 11:00:11 AM »

Link

New MI-Sen poll coming soon from @trafalgar_group has @KidRock 48.6 vs @stabenow 46.1

Decimals Roll Eyes
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #142 on: July 28, 2017, 11:01:35 AM »

Kid Rock should not be underrated in a state he is so active and well-liked in.

That said, I doubt he pulls the trigger in the end
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #143 on: July 28, 2017, 11:03:36 AM »

Link

No you dont...
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #144 on: July 28, 2017, 11:06:17 AM »

Yeah, while I'm pretty sure this is semi-serious, I don't think he'll end up actually doing it.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #145 on: July 28, 2017, 11:24:47 AM »

Link

No you dont...

GOP Senate candidates are leading in many polls as of late.
Rjjr77
« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2017, 11:26:52 AM »

Yeah, while I'm pretty sure this is semi-serious, I don't think he'll end up actually doing it.

If polls keep pushing him he may end up doing it...
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2017, 11:28:31 AM »

Link

No you dont...

Yep, with over a year out with an unpopular president who is likely to get even more unpopular.  I really think GOP senate candidates will under perform like democrats did in 2010 and 2014.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2017, 01:15:20 PM »

Saying he'll get 40% maximum is being generous; he'll probably get 36-38%
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2017, 01:20:45 PM »

Link

No you dont...

Yep, with over a year out with an unpopular president who is likely to get even more unpopular.  I really think GOP senate candidates will under perform like democrats did in 2010 and 2014.
It's hard to say in terms of under- or overperforming, and not every election in a given year is the same.  Many expected Reid to lose in 2010 or at least do worse than he did.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies