Campus Rape Policies Get a New Look as the Accused Get DeVos's Ear (NYTimes)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:50:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Campus Rape Policies Get a New Look as the Accused Get DeVos's Ear (NYTimes)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Campus Rape Policies Get a New Look as the Accused Get DeVos's Ear (NYTimes)  (Read 2785 times)
Neo-JacobitefromNewYork
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2017, 02:56:21 PM »
« edited: July 13, 2017, 03:11:21 PM by Neo-JacobitefromNewYork »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/12/us/politics/campus-rape-betsy-devos-title-iv-education-trump-candice-jackson.html?ref=todayspaper

Candice Jackson the new top civil rights official in the Education Department is a shaky choice to lead this review as she was involved with bringing up Bill's accusers to use against Hillary while denouncing Trump's accusers during 2016 elections. Serious issues of due process, whether outside law enforcement rather than college's own processes, and fears of students/parents should be seriously dealt with. Weakens support for needed review of Obama's controversial Title IX policy.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 03:02:41 PM »

Good news.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 03:17:29 PM »

The title ix preponderance standard is abysmal. Adequate notice and confrontation rights must be restored as well. State schools are state actors and must protect the bill of rights.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 03:28:01 PM »

Doubtless this will give women on the same degree of protection that Trump's proposed cybersecurity force would give US elections.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 09:58:00 PM »

The title IX assault standards are absurd and in bad need of reform, especially since sexual assault IS a big issue on campus. Too important for this continued half-assery mixed with kangaroo courts.

That said, I'm not confident in Candice Jackson leading that effort
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 01:52:36 AM »

The title ix preponderance standard is abysmal. Adequate notice and confrontation rights must be restored as well. State schools are state actors and must protect the bill of rights.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 01:54:30 AM »

The title IX assault standards are absurd and in bad need of reform, especially since sexual assault IS a big issue on campus. Too important for this continued half-assery mixed with kangaroo courts.

That said, I'm not confident in Candice Jackson leading that effort

This. Or DeVos for that matter.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 01:59:58 AM »

Not defending Title IX in general but I'm not even sure the standards it sets out in regard to sexual assault really are that unreasonable. Mostly they are just vague and schools over react to cover their butts. Really though, I think any halfway decent lawyer could make that case that just reporting crimes to the police is enough to comply with Title IX.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 02:28:44 AM »

Not defending Title IX in general but I'm not even sure the standards it sets out in regard to sexual assault really are that unreasonable. Mostly they are just vague and schools over react to cover their butts. Really though, I think any halfway decent lawyer could make that case that just reporting crimes to the police is enough to comply with Title IX.
that's a big part of the problem, the fake victims (and theoretically real ones too, though I have my doubts) don't want the cops involved.  As soon as the cops find out you were both drunk and you texted him 127 times after the "rape" wanting to hook up again, they start asking really difficult questions.  But if they just have the idiotic college lead courts "investigate" they know the "rapist" will be punished no matter the evidence he has on his side.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 03:24:19 AM »

that's a big part of the problem, the fake victims (and theoretically real ones too, though I have my doubts) don't want the cops involved.  As soon as the cops find out you were both drunk and you texted him 127 times after the "rape" wanting to hook up again, they start asking really difficult questions.  But if they just have the idiotic college lead courts "investigate" they know the "rapist" will be punished no matter the evidence he has on his side.
I know men are the REAL VICTIMS of everything, but that basically never happens. Why would anyone even throw a false accusation in such a scenario?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 05:04:29 AM »

I know men are the REAL VICTIMS of everything, but that basically never happens. Why would anyone even throw a false accusation in such a scenario?

"Mattress Girl" comes to mind.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 06:21:51 AM »
« Edited: July 14, 2017, 07:24:09 AM by Power to the Pe p e! »

This certainty feels like it was influenced by the altRight. There are a lot of guys who get away with very questionable things and there are a lot of guys who catch heat just for being popular. I am sure many of you regret something or knows someone who regrets something or know of someone who does or know a really nice nice guy..the guy who literally asks "my hand is under your shirt...can we go and have sex?" who encountered "matters" or at least rumors. I think there needs to be more awareness, not less.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 06:22:44 AM »

All the tired misogyny coming out of the woodworks.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 09:43:34 AM »

seriously?  I could give ya a bunch of links but we both know it would never be enough.  Look, if you want a specific gender of college student to be punished with sh**tty evidence, in sh**tty courts make sure Title IX stays the same.  If you think the accused in college sexual assault cases should have normal accused person rights then you should agree there is some reform needed.

You may now return to feeling superior.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 10:21:23 AM »

Hallelujah. It's long past time to end the campus rape Kangaroo Kourts the Obama administration implemented. It was basically a guilty-until-proven innocent standard that thankfully produced many successful lawsuits against it.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 10:45:04 AM »

This is a fair assessment, I think.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 11:23:10 AM »

Obama should have reformed how the military justice system handles rape, where there were real problems, and where there was bipartisan support for reform, but he didn't. Instead he pushed campus reform instead, with disastrous consequences. Option one would have involved actually pushing back against the military bureaucracy, whereas option two just involved dropping the hammer on universities.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 11:52:48 AM »

Betsy Devos should go back to her manor and stay there for the duration of this administration. That would be a better outcome for everyone involved.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 01:17:02 PM »

Ah, yes. I forgot that only people of color can commit sexual assault.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 02:52:36 PM »

Ironic that an administration headed by a sexual predator and alleged rapist would try and crack down on victims of sexual assault and rape

You must write for Rolling Stoned.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 05:42:11 PM »

Ironic that an administration headed by a sexual predator and alleged rapist would try and crack down on victims of sexual assault and rape

You must write for Rolling Stoned.
What an original and hilarious take!
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 06:22:18 PM »

Yeah asking a bunch of guys to discuss campus rape on an online forum was a mistake.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 07:13:51 PM »

Those whose fingers begin flailing hysterically against their keyboards whenever talk turns to whether the accused are getting a raw deal in regards to rape accusations are proving to the world that they don't actually care about justice, social problems, or rape itself. It's just a reflex for self-preservation. The only "that could be me" they can process is being the one accused of rape. And therefore that is what matters to them, purely. But in much the same way you don't want to be accused of rape, you probably also don't want to be the one coming to the defense exclusively of those accused of rape. You look really gross really quickly, to everyone.

There's probably a discussion worth having about all of this but I doubt it's ever going to happen here.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 07:37:36 PM »

libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 07:03:43 PM »

Sexual assault is a criminal act, and is best left to the criminal justice system.  The universities can help cooperate in the investigation process, but should do no more beyond that.

Another reform would be that the person who is accused of rape does not receive any punitive action from the university unless the prosecution formally files charges against them.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies