Which incumbent president could have won reelection in 2008?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:16:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Which incumbent president could have won reelection in 2008?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which incumbent president could have won reelection in 2008?  (Read 623 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2017, 05:32:24 PM »

Was a party change in the White House following the 2008 election inevitable in your judgement? Probably many believe that John Kerry would have lost reelection that year had he won in 2004. On the other hand, I think that George W. Bush would have lost reelection even in a second-term run (assuming he lost in 2000 and then defeated President Gore in a rematch for example). Do you think there could have been any president, Democrat or Republican, first elected in 2004 to win reelection 2008? And if so, who?

The only one I think could have accomplished it is Bill Clinton (without the 22nd amendment). But only if he had run again 2004 as a former president. Maybe, just maybe, John McCain could have pulled off a narrow win after beating President Gore in 2004.
twenty42
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 08:36:52 PM »

Lol...I don't understand questions like this. Once you change one event in history, there is no way to know how subsequent events would've taken place.
Oppo

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 08:43:51 PM »

Was a party change in the White House following the 2008 election inevitable in your judgement? Probably many believe that John Kerry would have lost reelection that year had he won in 2004. On the other hand, I think that George W. Bush would have lost reelection even in a second-term run (assuming he lost in 2000 and then defeated President Gore in a rematch for example). Do you think there could have been any president, Democrat or Republican, first elected in 2004 to win reelection 2008? And if so, who?

The only one I think could have accomplished it is Bill Clinton (without the 22nd amendment). But only if he had run again 2004 as a former president. Maybe, just maybe, John McCain could have pulled off a narrow win after beating President Gore in 2004.
If the financial crisis is delayed until after the election, yes.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 04:02:35 PM »

Lol...I don't understand questions like this. Once you change one event in history, there is no way to know how subsequent events would've taken place.

To specify the question: The recession/stock market downturn still occurs as it did in real life.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 06:44:12 PM »

To specify the question: The recession/stock market downturn still occurs as it did in real life.

Then doubtful. It would take a major response and recovery.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies