The Freedom Party is Dead
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:34:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Freedom Party is Dead
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Freedom Party is Dead  (Read 1035 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2005, 11:52:44 PM »

I'm sure that no one is shocked by this revelation.  I simply choose to make this announcement now, as I do not see any serious deal with the CUP.  I also see no point in going on with a party that obviously has no future.  The Freedom Party was my dream and my goal.  That dream has not taken root.  I love it and all of you very much, and that is why I am putting an end to it.  WMS, John Ford and other loyal members, you deserve better, more active futures with more active parties.  Thus, I am letting go of this and asking that we all do what we feel is best.  You've been good friends and we have had some good memories.  We fought the good fight, but even though we did not win, I would like to think that we still achieved something in our hearts and in the hearts of others.  Good Bye and Good luck.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 12:20:43 AM »

Woah, that was sudden.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 12:21:49 AM »

indeed
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 12:26:38 AM »

I invite Freedom Party members with a concern for social policies that ensure equal opportunity, if not outcome; economic pragmatism and international realism to join me in recreating the AFIP.

(Basically, it's gonna be a party of malcontents who don't want to have too much of a partisan structure. It also gives us a voice in the upcoming elections. It won't be too serious, but it'd be good to form a party that encompasses the center, with a slight lean to the center-left).
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 12:27:54 AM »

Acctually, no, I have been planning this for months.  I just think it is time now.  I have been in negotiations with the CUP to merge, but we are so weak now, that it does nto benefit them to accomidate us.  I think Ford and WMS would be better served by going their own way now.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 12:34:26 AM »

And John Ford was acctually the first to suggest a merger, but negotiations have gone no where and there isn't much left for us to use in a negotiation, so I figured it was best to just end things now.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 03:42:19 AM »

Suprising news... well... if any former Freedom Party members are interested in joining the FLP we are currently in the process of rewriting our platform and all that
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 03:52:54 AM »

Aye. WMS, the FL party needs you to counteract guys like me! Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 09:12:16 AM »

Sad boo-hoo...my party...just died... Sad

Well, time has come to pick a new party then. Recruit me people, ercruit me! Wink
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 09:13:27 AM »

Sorry to hear it.  You guys should just become independents.  You'll soon see how pointless all these Weimar parties are.
WiseGuy

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 09:16:49 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2005, 09:24:22 AM by Dubya »

Well, time has come to pick a new party then. Recruit me people, ercruit me! Wink

Well since you say you're moderatly right-winged, you should at least look at the ACA.  That goes for you too, Supersoulty.  Link to platform.  It's the eighth post from the top.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 09:31:08 AM »

Acctually, no, I have been planning this for months.  I just think it is time now.  I have been in negotiations with the CUP to merge, but we are so weak now, that it does nto benefit them to accomidate us.  I think Ford and WMS would be better served by going their own way now.

Actually the reasons for the UP not accepting your offers to merge is because we feel that the Freedom Party is too different from us to be of any help to our party. The Freedom Party, in the mind of myself and others in the Union Party, is too populistic and conservative to fit into the moderate libertarian Union Party. It would make our party bigger but it would also decrease party unity and would create another huge party of the centre like the UAC did. That is why we turned down the offer not because you are weak, which is actually not true since you still have quite a few members and many good electable candidates.

Well I personally knew this was going to happen and I hope you reconsider. Personally I don't think the Freedom Party is weak. It has several electorable persons who would be able to bring the party into more powerful office. I think the main problem with the Freedom Party was that it never really defined itself. You should have started from day one by saying that this was a moderate populist, Christian Democratic party. Well best of luck to you any other endeavours and I hope a new party rises from the ashes of this one.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 10:43:11 AM »

Join the AMRLP!  We have cake!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005, 11:32:20 AM »

Gustaf should certainly join the CUP or the Libertarians.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2005, 11:36:25 AM »

I encourage all former members of the Freedom Party to join the Farmer-Labor Party.  Other major parties like the Independent Liberals, the Atlasian Conservative Alliance, and the Constitutional Union Party already have well-defined platforms, and as ColinW has illustrated, are not well disposed to the notion of accepting populists into their ranks when they have too little in common with them.

The Farmer-Labor Party, on the other hand, is still relatively undefined.  With few active members to participate in it, this is an opportunity for you all to remake this party in your own image, especially since we are in the process of drafting a new party platform.  The now defunct Freedom Party always had too few members to really make an impact on Atlasian politics, but with our combined strength -should you all decide to join the FLP- we could make ourselves as strong and influential as the other two major parties that are currently ascendant.  
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2005, 12:13:54 PM »

I'm sure that no one is shocked by this revelation.  I simply choose to make this announcement now, as I do not see any serious deal with the CUP.  I also see no point in going on with a party that obviously has no future.  The Freedom Party was my dream and my goal.  That dream has not taken root.  I love it and all of you very much, and that is why I am putting an end to it.  WMS, John Ford and other loyal members, you deserve better, more active futures with more active parties.  Thus, I am letting go of this and asking that we all do what we feel is best.  You've been good friends and we have had some good memories.  We fought the good fight, but even though we did not win, I would like to think that we still achieved something in our hearts and in the hearts of others.  Good Bye and Good luck.

I'm sorry this had to occur, Super. 

Unfortunately, with regards to a Union Party/Freedom Party merger, there was never the support from the Union Party faithful who I talked to in order to make such a merger possible.  Too many were either lukewarm or totally against it like Colin.

I think there is a future for a Freedom-like party, but I agree with Colin that it needs to be strongly defined and clear in its positions.  Fwiw, that's pretty much the only way parties really can get defined in Atlasia and grow.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2005, 12:16:51 PM »

You are welcome in the CUP anytime, Gustaf.  Obviously, my first rationale in going after you is the similarity between you PC scores and the critical mass of a party membership as a whole.  Also, we are structurally a fairly loosely-organized party and I tend not to try and force others to the Union Party line at all (as sometimes I don't follow it myself).

Anyway, we'd love to have you.  Smiley
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2005, 12:18:16 PM »

You are welcome in the CUP anytime, Gustaf.  Obviously, my first rationale in going after you is the similarity between you PC scores and the critical mass of a party membership as a whole.  Also, we are structurally a fairly loosely-organized party and I tend not to try and force others to the Union Party line at all (as sometimes I don't follow it myself).

Anyway, we'd love to have you.  Smiley

I echo the Chairman's comments.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2005, 12:55:28 PM »

I am sorry, I would also like to thank Wildcard.  Forgive me for not mentioning you before, buddy.  You have always been one of the party's best memebers and have stood by it and me, for a very long time.  Again, thank you.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2005, 01:39:33 PM »

Well, crap. Sad

I see the bidding has begun on the ex-FP members. Smiley
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2005, 02:59:33 PM »

Well, crap. Sad

Word on the street is that you're currently trading at $2.50 a gallon.

We're just working on figuring out how to measure you in gallons.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2005, 03:08:48 PM »

Well, crap. Sad

Word on the street is that you're currently trading at $2.50 a gallon.

We're just working on figuring out how to measure you in gallons.

Good luck with that. Cheesy And maybe a good bidding war will raise the price to $3.00 a gallon. Wink
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2005, 03:50:33 PM »

I hear the weather is nice in Independent Land.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2005, 03:51:08 PM »

I also would like to extend an invitation to Gustaf to join the Union.  I think you would fit in well.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2005, 03:39:20 AM »

The reason the FP never took off is that ti was centered around foreign policy, btu everyone kept trying to define it by its domestic policies.  Then people assumed it was a populist (social conservative economic liberal) party, but if you read our platform that's not really what we were.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies