TDB: Trump’s Campaign Conceded in a Memo That Comey Was Having Major Impact
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:48:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  TDB: Trump’s Campaign Conceded in a Memo That Comey Was Having Major Impact
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TDB: Trump’s Campaign Conceded in a Memo That Comey Was Having Major Impact  (Read 691 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2017, 10:11:43 PM »

http://www.thedailybeast.com/trumps-campaign-conceded-in-a-memo-that-comey-was-having-major-impact

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Seems like Trump is experiencing a version of his own scorched earth strategy Tongue
super6646
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 01:28:36 PM »

The election cycle itself was a disaster. I'm sure the access hollywood tape had a big impact as well, so things happen. I seriously doubt the election swung based on this revelation (investigation stopped before election, so how would this affect election day itself). I mean Clinton still won the early vote by a large margin, so I really don't think these tapes changed that. The reason Trump did well with late deciders was because republicans were coming home in the end and deciding whether they like him or not that they wanted to hold the senate and get a supreme court nominee.

I could very well be wrong too, but there is NEVER one factor that loses an election for a candidate.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 01:33:16 PM »

James Comey, a Federal Employee paid for by our tax dollars, used his official position to flip an election in favor of the party that he was a twice max-donor to, and which he had a yard sign for in front of his house. He did so knowing that there was a foreign effort to undermine the election by helping the candidate of that same party, which he was keeping under wraps. Criminal, criminal, criminal.
60+ GOP Seats After 2018 GUARANTEED
ahugecat

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 04:55:23 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2017, 04:57:41 PM by ahugecat »

Of course it had an impact. She was well on her way to an Obama 2008-type landslide before that memo.

Clinton was so dominating Trump barely led by 3 points in Texas polls: https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/tx/texas_trump_vs_clinton-5694.html

HOWEVER, October Surprises happened. You think the 47% video in 2012 or Grab Em By the P in 2012 video didn't have a huge impact on those races?

Right after the Access Hollywood tape, Democrats lined up over a dozen women accusing Trump of sexual assault.
ahugecat

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 05:07:03 PM »

If the Access Hollywood tape happened but not the Comey letter, I think Clinton's victory is:

Her 232 electoral votes + Ohio, Florida, Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Georgia, North Carolina, all of Maine, Nebraska district, and Iowa. 375 electoral votes. Montana, Indiana, Alaska, Missouri, South Carolina, are all single digit wins for Trump. Texas is within 5 points.

She wins popular vote 50.8-44.5.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 05:21:48 PM »

Of course it had an impact. She was well on her way to an Obama 2008-type landslide before that memo.

There are a lot of people who still deny it had a sizable impact, and some liberals as well who just see it as Clinton trying to blame her loss on anyone or anything but herself (which, tbf, she deserves some blame but it doesn't make Comey any less relevant). I just wanted to point out that both campaigns and other analysts agree that Comey did have an noticeable impact. For anyone who was closely following the election, it should have been obvious. I've never seen Politico's front page listings go from mixed news to literally 100% Clinton email stories within 24 hours. Every single link was something about the email scandal. They never did this for any scandal, not even Trump's Access Hollywood tape. This kind of beating in the media carried on for a while before election day.

I really wish Clinton had just retired - she had way too much baggage, particularly with the email stuff, but I do believe the last-minute Comey letter(s) shifted the election to Trump. Otherwise, Hillary was on her way to winning, probably by a pretty comfortable popular vote margin. Such a win would have probably flipped the Senate and maybe 6 - 8 more House seats as well.
ahugecat

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 05:31:43 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2017, 05:33:28 PM by ahugecat »

There are a lot of people who still deny it had a sizable impact, and some liberals as well who just see it as Clinton trying to blame her loss on anyone or anything but herself (which, tbf, she deserves some blame but it doesn't make Comey any less relevant). I just wanted to point out that both campaigns and other analysts agree that Comey did have an noticeable impact. For anyone who was closely following the election, it should have been obvious. I've never seen Politico's front page listings go from mixed news to literally 100% Clinton email stories within 24 hours. Every single link was something about the email scandal. They never did this for any scandal, not even Trump's Access Hollywood tape. This kind of beating in the media carried on for a while before election day.

I really wish Clinton had just retired - she had way too much baggage, particularly with the email stuff, but I do believe the last-minute Comey letter(s) shifted the election to Trump. Otherwise, Hillary was on her way to winning, probably by a pretty comfortable popular vote margin. Such a win would have probably flipped the Senate and maybe 6 - 8 more House seats as well.
Who really denies it had an impact though?

I remember I was preparing myself for a huge Clinton win, and was accepting defeat. Outside of a huge October surprise (like a Bill Clinton scandal or a massive terrorist attack or something) it was all but over. When the Comey letter was announced I started to cheer like crazy.

The problem is it does have a lot to do with Clinton as well but she refuses to believe it. For example, it was her fault she set up a private email server then deleted 33,000 emails and destroyed evidence literally with a hammer. Let's be honest - before the election everyone (including me) thought Clinton was easily going to win. I think the main reason Democrats lost was because of complacency. Clinton was looking up to run up the score or run out the clock - she never focused on just winning.

And the Access Hollywood tape got a TON more media attention. Politico was outright slobbering Clinton pre-election. Most of their headlines were "Clinton looks posed to lock it up" or "Trump begins to face reality" etc. etc.

I mean, October Surprises suck, but Democrats don't seem to mind them when they illegally leak tapes like the 47% Romney tape or the Access Hollywood tape. It's unfair to complain about Comey's letter while having no problem with the Access Hollywood tape and sexual assault accusers all lined up to attack Trump afterward.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 05:43:20 PM »

I mean, October Surprises suck, but Democrats don't seem to mind them when they illegally leak tapes like the 47% Romney tape or the Access Hollywood tape. It's unfair to complain about Comey's letter while having no problem with the Access Hollywood tape and sexual assault accusers all lined up to attack Trump afterward.

My issue with Comey has always been that he was the FBI Director, and holding press conferences or sending letters to House committees about investigation updates like that are not standard practice. He was under no obligation to do any of that, and in fact iirc his actions diverged from dept. policy.

He should have known better, and another sad result is that it probably means less bipartisanship when it comes to staffing the executive administration, as neither party is going to want to put a supporter of the other party into positions of power. Although, to be fair, I'd never have supported Comey anyway. I'd like for it not to be an issue, but I don't trust the Republican Party - particularly after this election.
This is Eharding, guys
ossoff2028

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 05:49:48 PM »

Who really denies it had an impact though?
Nate Cohn.
ahugecat

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 05:54:39 PM »

My issue with Comey has always been that he was the FBI Director, and holding press conferences or sending letters to House committees about investigation updates like that are not standard practice. He was under no obligation to do any of that, and in fact iirc his actions diverged from dept. policy.

He should have known better, and another sad result is that it probably means less bipartisanship when it comes to staffing the executive administration, as neither party is going to want to put a supporter of the other party into positions of power. Although, to be fair, I'd never have supported Comey anyway. I'd like for it not to be an issue, but I don't trust the Republican Party - particularly after this election.
TBF Clinton should have been prosecuted but he bailed her out there.

There was so much shady stuff - Lynch meeting Bill on the tarmac; her destroying evidence with hammers; 33,000 deleted emails; Stonetear lying despite being given immunity; etc. etc.

If anything this election has taught me one thing: anything you say that can be connected to you or anything you do can come back to bite you in the ass later on. So if it's something you think can get you into big trouble (private email server) or something you'd never say in public ("47% of people are dependent on the government" or "They let you do anything. Grab em by the P") you shouldn't do it. I plan on running for public office one day and I am going through everything I have said online LOL.

In the end, Clinton has no one to thank but herself when it came to that controversy.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 05:59:27 PM »

Let's be honest - before the election everyone (including me) thought Clinton was easily going to win. I think the main reason Democrats lost was because of complacency. Clinton was looking up to run up the score or run out the clock - she never focused on just winning.

Uh, I didn't. I never thought she was going to win. Mostly, I didn't thinks she would win because I couldn't imagine her winning - it would be too good to be true, like another world. At most I thought it was a 50/50. And I was never complacent. I can't help it if others are. But I can tell you I wasn't the only one worried. Stop trying to blame the victims on this. What Comey did was the worst criminal act by a government employee to interfere in an election in modern history, and is the defining fact of the 2016 election.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 12:18:31 PM »

James Comey, a Federal Employee paid for by our tax dollars, used his official position to flip an election in favor of the party that he was a twice max-donor to, and which he had a yard sign for in front of his house. He did so knowing that there was a foreign effort to undermine the election by helping the candidate of that same party, which he was keeping under wraps. Criminal, criminal, criminal.
Yes, while everything that's been said about Clinton and her campaign in this thread is true, this is why I shed no tears and played the world's smallest violin when Trump stabbed him in the back.
uti2

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 03:27:37 PM »

That's not even the worst part though. The worst part is that Comey's very basis for deciding to interfere in the election was a document forged by russian intelligence.
uti2

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 03:33:34 PM »

The downballot implications of Comey's announcement are also underplayed. If you accept the premise that Comey swayed voters to Trump by x% points, you should also accept that Comey had a similar effect on the downballot, since downballot Rs also outperformed their polling.

As far as Hillary goes, the email investigation was supposed to be cleaned up nice and easy and closed by the DOJ without much issue. Unexpectedly, Comey decided to go rogue because he saw a forged russian intelligence document as part of Russia's specific effort to help Trump.
ahugecat

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 04:03:30 PM »

Oh yeah and the reason Comey sent that letter was because sick weirdo Anthony Weiner got arrested for sexting 15 year olds with his son in the selfies.

Everyone knew Anthony Weiner was bad news. Trump in 2012 warned girls under 18 to avoid him like the plague.

But Huma and Hillary didn't care. This is one of the reasons the Access Hollywood tape didn't have the impact it should have - people just replied "Bill and Anthony did far worse." I nearly burst out laughing when people were calling Trump a sexual predator a month after Mr. Carlos Danger got caught sexting 15 year olds.
ahugecat

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 04:04:55 PM »

The downballot implications of Comey's announcement are also underplayed. If you accept the premise that Comey swayed voters to Trump by x% points, you should also accept that Comey had a similar effect on the downballot, since downballot Rs also outperformed their polling.

As far as Hillary goes, the email investigation was supposed to be cleaned up nice and easy and closed by the DOJ without much issue. Unexpectedly, Comey decided to go rogue because he saw a forged russian intelligence document as part of Russia's specific effort to help Trump.
LOL now we're blaming Comey's letter on Russia?
uti2

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 04:30:26 PM »

LOL now we're blaming Comey's letter on Russia?

According to Comey himself:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/28/politics/lindsey-graham-james-comey/index.html
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 01:42:37 AM »

Comey cost Clinton the election and she would have won 307 electoral votes without him. Those who argue otherwise are ignorant or wilfully blind to the data both at the time and afterwards that proves this. Comey had a major measurable effect in decreasing Clinton's lead and flipping undecideds to Trump.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 06:52:13 AM »

Коми!
ahugecat

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 10:12:04 AM »

Comey cost Clinton the election and she would have won 307 electoral votes without him. Those who argue otherwise are ignorant or wilfully blind to the data both at the time and afterwards that proves this. Comey had a major measurable effect in decreasing Clinton's lead and flipping undecideds to Trump.
Yeah but if you get rid of the Comey letter you have to get rid of the Access Hollywood tape - you think Trump expected that?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 10:13:09 AM »

Yeah but if you get rid of the Comey letter you have to get rid of the Access Hollywood tape - you think Trump expected that?

If you get rid of the Access Hollywood tape you have to get rid of wikileaks. I think about any October surprises Hillary would have won too.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 05:13:01 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2017, 09:11:04 PM by Da2017 »

There will be talk about what Trump did wrong. The Comey letter did have an impact.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 06:10:05 PM »

This is spot-on. Comey's ill-advised 10.28.2016 announcement was the main culprit for Hillary's loss and the Senate (and by extension, the Supreme Court) staying in GOP hands. There were also other reasons as to consider why she lost: The Obamacare premium hikes announcement just a few days before that, Russian interference, engulfing anti-Clinton sentiments, and poor campaign strategy (esp. ignoring Wisconsin).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies