President McCain and Vice President Biden
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:11:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  President McCain and Vice President Biden
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: President McCain and Vice President Biden  (Read 712 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2017, 10:49:54 PM »

Imagine, there was a tie in the Electoral College in 2008. The House therefore elected John McCain President and the Senate elected Joe Biden Vice President.

1.) Who would President McCain have chosen as his running mate in 2012? Sarah Palin again?

2.) Would Biden have been nominated as the uncontested Democratic presidential candidate in 2012? Or would he have been the vice-presidential candidate "by default", with other Democrats competing for the presidential nomination?
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 11:18:49 PM »

Why wouldn't Obama be elected VP in this scenario?

Also, didn't Democrats take control of both the House and Senate in 2008? Why would they elect McCain?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 11:37:29 PM »

Why wouldn't Obama be elected VP in this scenario?

It's only theoretically possible. The only way this would have happened is that each Democratic member + some Republican members of the EC agree upon electing Obama VP, while not voting for him as President.
I just realized there is a second way: Obama gets more votes than Biden in the EC as VP and the Senate (including at least two Republican members) agree on Obama. But that would split and destroy the Democratic party.

In the OP I took for granted that some members of the EC or of the Senate wanted to preserve the Office of the Vice President from harm...

Also, didn't Democrats take control of both the House and Senate in 2008? Why would they elect McCain?

It's just a scenario. As there is a tie in the EC, the GOP might therefore has won the lower chamber.

As far as I know, it doesn't matter how many seats a party has won in the House of Representatives, it is important which party has a majority of states with a majority of members of their party.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 12:36:15 AM »

This is how I think the electoral map would look

As for the administration of John McCain, unsure. We have never had a situation where this has happened
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 05:20:31 PM »

As for the administration of John McCain, unsure. We have never had a situation where this has happened.

That's why I'm asking. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies