Politico: Christie's last big move could be filling Menendez's seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:07:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Politico: Christie's last big move could be filling Menendez's seat
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Politico: Christie's last big move could be filling Menendez's seat  (Read 5241 times)
henster
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2017, 09:09:11 PM »

I would love Senator Fulop, good to get another Dem vet in the Senate to counteract those neocons Cotton, Ernst, McCain.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2017, 10:01:25 PM »

Christie's last ''big move'' will be moving his fat ass out of the governors mansion. That I can tell you

Hear hear!
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2017, 10:05:06 PM »

Lol guys, I know the chances of this are closer to 0% than 1%, but what if Kim Guadagno won the race this year? That would be a nightmare XD. But it won't happened.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2017, 09:09:59 AM »
« Edited: August 31, 2017, 09:13:22 AM by superbudgie1582 »

Lol guys, I know the chances of this are closer to 0% than 1%, but what if Kim Guadagno won the race this year? That would be a nightmare XD. But it won't happened.

Something absolutely disgusting and horrifying has to come out against Murphy to give Guadagno a chance at winning. And I dont mean like a leaked diplomatic cable where he calls Americans idiots. I mean that they need to find a dead body in his backyard.

Edit: Also, I hope that since Murphy passed over Sumter for Lt. Governor that he considers her as a replacement for Menendez. NJ has never had a women senator before. 
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2017, 10:23:33 AM »

With the McDonnell precedent, I'm honestly skeptical Menendez gets convicted (he's a corrupt old gasbag but the standard is really high now)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2017, 10:35:07 AM »

With the McDonnell precedent, I'm honestly skeptical Menendez gets convicted (he's a corrupt old gasbag but the standard is really high now)

It's possible he walks when all is said and done, but I do share your skepticism to a degree. The McDonnell case seemed a lot weaker than this one. A cursory review of the specifics shows Menendez actually doing a lot more than McDonnell ever did. It looks like McDonnell mostly just took a bunch of gifts but didn't give anything in return, except his time. In Menendez's case, he actually seemed to reciprocate a good deal.

Either way, it's not unreasonable to see his appeals sucking up a few months of time, which would be enough on its own to allow Democrats to punt an expulsion vote to after Murphy takes office. Democrats would have to be fools to help boot him out before then.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2017, 08:02:04 PM »

It's possible he walks when all is said and done, but I do share your skepticism to a degree. The McDonnell case seemed a lot weaker than this one. A cursory review of the specifics shows Menendez actually doing a lot more than McDonnell ever did. It looks like McDonnell mostly just took a bunch of gifts but didn't give anything in return, except his time. In Menendez's case, he actually seemed to reciprocate a good deal.

Either way, it's not unreasonable to see his appeals sucking up a few months of time, which would be enough on its own to allow Democrats to punt an expulsion vote to after Murphy takes office. Democrats would have to be fools to help boot him out before then.

Oh yeah, the case against Melendez is MUCH stronger
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2017, 10:38:17 AM »

I'm working for a Democratic state senate campaign in a pretty republican district in North Jersey. Guadagno has literally no presence in this district, and most Republicans I know are focused on protecting state legislators than helping Guadagno. Murphy has this in the bag
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2017, 06:29:40 PM »

Christie might appoint himself in order for New Jersey to have a Republican Senator for a year.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2017, 06:36:37 PM »

Christie might appoint himself in order for New Jersey to have a Republican Senator for a year.

If Menendez goes, he's going after Murphy assumes office. Senate democrats wont vote to expel him and Menendez will sure appeal a guilty ruling. Lets also not forget that its not illegal for a felon to be a senator.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2017, 06:59:44 PM »

If Menendez goes, he's going after Murphy assumes office. Senate democrats wont vote to expel him and Menendez will sure appeal a guilty ruling. Lets also not forget that its not illegal for a felon to be a senator.
Democrats might vote to expel Menendez because they will likely hold on to this seat anyway.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2017, 08:20:45 PM »

Democrats might vote to expel Menendez because they will likely hold on to this seat anyway.
I can see them try and see if they can get him expelled after Murphy is sworn in. But I doubt they'd want to be painted as "defending a criminal," so they probably will expel him.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2017, 08:35:12 PM »

The resistance to expulsion wouldn't be out of some worry of losing the seat for a whole term. It would be the fear of giving Republicans an extra Senate vote until Jan 2019. That extra vote would go quite a ways, given the current situation in the Senate. It's totally worth eating a couple months of GOP attacks to make sure Christie doesn't appoint a temporary replacement.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2017, 09:54:12 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2017, 09:58:54 PM by ERM64man »

The resistance to expulsion wouldn't be out of some worry of losing the seat for a whole term. It would be the fear of giving Republicans an extra Senate vote until Jan 2019. That extra vote would go quite a ways, given the current situation in the Senate. It's totally worth eating a couple months of GOP attacks to make sure Christie doesn't appoint a temporary replacement.
Senate Democrats will wait for Murphy to take office then expel Menendez.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2017, 08:16:39 PM »

Christie could pick former Rep. Michael Ferguson (R), the co-chairman of his successful 2009 gubernatorial campaign.

Ferguson represented NJ-07, now held by Rep. Leonard Lance. Like Lance, Ferguson is a mainstream conservative Republican. He'd do well in the suburbs and the Jersey shore if he is appointed in Nov-Dec, and runs in 2018, but he'd have to face Trump.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/451070/chris-christie-new-jersey-senator-possibly
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2017, 08:31:16 PM »

I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2017, 08:33:53 PM »

Murphy likely makes the appointment after expulsion in 2018.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2017, 08:34:13 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2017, 08:37:13 PM by bronz4141 »

Won't that bit Democrats because Menendez will try to run again soon like Torricelli is trying to. New Jersey politics is very interesting.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2017, 08:35:58 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2017, 08:39:15 PM by ERM64man »

Toricelli was never expelled. Menendez might be expelled.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2017, 08:41:32 PM »

I think Menendez has to go but I'd want him to stay until Christie is out of office.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies