Say something nice about the opposition's supporters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:51:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Say something nice about the opposition's supporters
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Say something nice about the opposition's supporters  (Read 2638 times)
twenty42
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2017, 03:02:27 PM »

I disagree strongly with almost every issue supported by the Demcratic party's platform(s), but I will say that I am sympathetic to well-meaning Bernie supporters. I think there was a contingent of Democrats in 2016 who, while misguided, did genuinely believe the system was broken and wanted to help fix it. These people knew Hillary was a bad candidate and didn't want her anymore than Trump, but she wound up being their nominee anyway.

In a more general sense, I guess it had to suck for Democrats in their hearts to get blindsided like they did on Election Night. I worked for the Romney campaign in 2012 and I thought with every fiber of my being that he was going to win, and it broke my heart when he lost. It was a very crappy feeling of finality and shock...kind of like your favorite sports team losing an elimination game only much more magnified. I suppose there were some Democrats out there who had pure hearts, so I'd say I'm somewhat compassionate as to how it feels to lose what you feel like is a very winnable election.

I'm sorry dude, but looking at politics like a favorite sports team is disgusting, and is part of the reason we're in the mess we're in right now. My democrat friends weren't sad in 2016 because "their favorite sport team lost" - many were sad because they were fearful of what would happen if Trump was elected.

Go back and read the post again. I wasn't comparing politics to sports...I was using a metaphor to describe the emotion I felt that night. I genuinely believed Romney was going to win the election, and it was a heartwrenchingly final feeling at 11:15 when Obama was pronounced the winner. I also clarified that the emotion was similar, but much more magnified.

I do have a side story to share with you as well...I don't have to tell you this, but I will. I watched the 2009 Eagles-Cardinals NFC championship game with my grandmother who was dying of stage four colon cancer. She was an Eagles fan for sixty years and she cried when the Eagles lost that game, because she knew after that she would never see her beloved Eagles win a Super Bowl. I can respect the fact that you aren't a sports fan, but you should also respect the fact that sports can be emotional for those who are. The consequences of losing a sports game don't compare to those of losing an election, but I'm not going to apologize for having strong emotions for both.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2017, 04:24:09 PM »

Go back and read the post again. I wasn't comparing politics to sports...I was using a metaphor to describe the emotion I felt that night. I genuinely believed Romney was going to win the election, and it was a heartwrenchingly final feeling at 11:15 when Obama was pronounced the winner. I also clarified that the emotion was similar, but much more magnified.

I do have a side story to share with you as well...I don't have to tell you this, but I will. I watched the 2009 Eagles-Cardinals NFC championship game with my grandmother who was dying of stage four colon cancer. She was an Eagles fan for sixty years and she cried when the Eagles lost that game, because she knew after that she would never see her beloved Eagles win a Super Bowl. I can respect the fact that you aren't a sports fan, but you should also respect the fact that sports can be emotional for those who are. The consequences of losing a sports game don't compare to those of losing an election, but I'm not going to apologize for having strong emotions for both.

Thoughts and prayers for your Grandma.

Not sure where you got that I am not a sports fan... I am a sports fan -- my team lost the Super Bowl in a pretty awful way this year (Atlanta Falcons). I was pretty upset but I didn't cry over it. Not that crying over a sport team / election is bad though.

And my point was that politics shouldn't be a sport game. It shouldn't be blue team vs red team that you just blindly follow. It's fine to like a party, but don't blindly follow it. My friends weren't "invested" in Hillary because she was their home girl and they were rooting for -- it was more they didn't want to see what would happen if the other person had the chance to advance their disgusting agenda.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies