Smoking age of 21?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:21:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Smoking age of 21?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: How would you feel about having to be 21 to buy cigarettes?
A national smoking age of 21 would be a good thing

The states should feel free to raise their smoking age, but the federal government should stay out of it

Municipalities should feel free to raise their smoking age, but the states and the federal government should stay out of it

No way! Old enough to fight...

If anything, 18 is too high a smoking age

There shouldn't be a smoking age

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 87

Author Topic: Smoking age of 21?  (Read 3582 times)
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2017, 05:35:13 PM »

Also worth noting that, as with alcohol, the main advantage of raising the age is that it keeps the substance out of high schools. The 19-20 year olds aren't really the direct targets, not that it's any consolation to someone facing charges.

It's worth noting it appears the penalties apply to vendors and adults who give tobacco to minors, but penalties for users were removed from the final bill, which seems reasonable to me.  Vendors should be the primary target, not users.  The key is to make it require more hoops for someone to purchase tobacco, so it is discouraged before people get addicted.  Prohibition of sales to minors is not a total panacea, but I think it helps. 

http://www.530attorneys.com/new-california-tobacco-law/
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2017, 06:23:07 PM »

Also worth noting that, as with alcohol, the main advantage of raising the age is that it keeps the substance out of high schools. The 19-20 year olds aren't really the direct targets, not that it's any consolation to someone facing charges.

It's worth noting it appears the penalties apply to vendors and adults who give tobacco to minors, but penalties for users were removed from the final bill, which seems reasonable to me.  Vendors should be the primary target, not users.  The key is to make it require more hoops for someone to purchase tobacco, so it is discouraged before people get addicted.  Prohibition of sales to minors is not a total panacea, but I think it helps. 

http://www.530attorneys.com/new-california-tobacco-law/
My problem with punishing the minors themselves are:

1. It's punishing the victim.

2 It might discourage minors from seeking out resources to quit.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2017, 10:22:12 PM »

Absolutely Not....

Smoking and drinking should be legal at the age of 18, and if anything driving should be illegal for anyone under the age of 18, with the possible exception of having an adult >21 in the vehicle.

Couldn't have said it better than Ole Barry.

It is kind of amazing how disturbingly paternalistic both forces on the left and the right are on matters that should be left to an individual's best judgment.  Of course only those with the loudest mouths and the biggest pocketbooks get their opinions heard which is why privileged s who live in gated communities in Greenwich are more likely to have an influence on public policy than say a middle class barkeep or policeman in Attleboro.

Frankly as a gay man who loves to smoke and drink and 420 I find the exercise of moral judgments by both religious fruitcake conservatives and nanny state liberals to be quite frustrating.  I shouldn't have to live in a country where virtually every aspect of my personal life ends up subject to moral regulation because some rich prick who has friends in a freaking Roman Classical built building in DC doesn't like it.

Here's an idea folks: how about going after people who are doing things that are actually evil?  Like molesting kids, abusing wives, or killing a bunch of people inside a McDonald's for the Hell of it?

Rant over.

Awesome!!!!

Gay Republican--- we are totally on the same page on all this stuff....

Sounds like we have a lot in common on Social Issues, and probably quite a few other items as well.

Since I've already gone off on the subject of smoking---- what does everyone think about "Sin Taxes"?

Apparently it's one of the few types of taxes that can be raised in both Democratic and Republican States alike....

If you drink alcohol, guess what your taxes went up.

If you smoke, guess what your taxes went up.

If you indulge in other "socially stigmatized behavior", guess what your taxes went up.

Needless to say these types of taxes hit the poor, working-class, and lower-middle-class populations the hardest, but who stands up to defend against these tax increases?

Meanwhile, voters try to raise the minimum wage, some states try to raise taxes on upper-income voters and corporations, or at a Federal Level  Minimum Wage increases and slightly higher tax burden on the Rich, and you have an onslaught of so-called "anti-tax" conservatives frothing at the bit....

It's always the poor that suffer.... famous quote from somewhere....
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2017, 09:50:44 AM »

Just give people a choice, you can smoke but you can't get any health insurance.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2017, 11:41:06 AM »

Just give people a choice, you can smoke but you can't get any health insurance.
Don't health insurance companies already charge smokers more?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2017, 11:42:27 AM »

Yes
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2017, 11:50:05 AM »

Yeah, but you see, MasterJedi doesn't believe in personal responsibility, he believes in letting people he doesn't like die.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2017, 12:09:54 PM »

Yeah, but you see, MasterJedi doesn't believe in personal responsibility, he believes in letting people he doesn't like die.

It's the ultimate in personal responsibility, don't smoke and get coverage!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2017, 04:50:57 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2017, 10:13:19 PM by The Mooch! »

It's the ultimate in personal responsibility, don't smoke and get coverage!
I'm glad second hand smoke is as dangerous for you as it is for us. Maybe you should have avoided smokers better. Oh well, get sick and die, etc, etc. I didn't know you were into that kind of economic nihilism.

Christ you are the ultimate pre-Trump Republican.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2017, 01:45:27 PM »

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_598b23b9e4b0449ed50734fd
GGover
BBovine
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: 2.09

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2017, 09:03:12 PM »

if the law says you're an adult at 18, then you should be able to do anything any other adult can do
The age of majority should be raised to 21.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2017, 01:52:36 PM »

I see no issue with a smoking age of 21.  Tobacco kills, and even if the reduction in juvenile consumption of tobacco is small because of the change, it is still worthwhile for that marginal effect.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2017, 08:12:54 PM »

Why not be compassionate towards teenage smokers and drinkers like we are towards opiod addicts?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2017, 11:24:45 PM »

No. And lower the everything-age to 18. Or keep it lower if it's lower. Banning stuff JUST DOESN'T WORK. People who smoke will smoke and people who drink will drink.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2017, 02:05:07 PM »

Absolutely lower the age to 18. Paternalism has no place when it comes to the behavior of adults.

And I agree with increasing penalties for drunk driving and tightening the areas where smoking is allowed. Those are for the common good, unlike banning personal smoking by taking away people's rights as legal adults.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2017, 02:28:52 PM »

It is a state issue.  Let them decide.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2017, 03:31:17 AM »

That's not an answer. You're dodging the question. I don't think most people here would disagree and would in fact extend the same protection to the drinking age. What do you think should be done with the smoking age, in your own state and perhaps in others?
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2017, 04:19:37 AM »

That's not an answer. You're dodging the question. I don't think most people here would disagree and would in fact extend the same protection to the drinking age. What do you think should be done with the smoking age, in your own state and perhaps in others?
As the OP of this thread, I consider Green Line's answer acceptable.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2017, 08:34:48 AM »

No, 18 seems enough. I'm generally opposed to frequent smoking, but a minimum age of 21 is not the solution. What's really needed is more and better prevention. By parents, but also at school. Same with excessive drinking.
SamTilden2020

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2017, 01:35:43 PM »

No. And lower the everything-age to 18. Or keep it lower if it's lower. Banning stuff JUST DOESN'T WORK. People who smoke will smoke and people who drink will drink.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2017, 05:37:22 PM »

the best argument  (and what I've seen from actual, err, evidence, as opposed to gut punches) would be to raise it to 19 to reduce the amount cigarettes in schools. Not that I particularly care about the issue at all.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2017, 05:19:39 PM »

Ehhhhhhhhh. I don't really care about this like I care about other youth rights issues.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2017, 10:29:05 PM »

Most of the arguments that I've seen for a smoking age of 21 ("healthcare costs", that people can't be trusted to obey no-smoking signs, "lost productivity") could also be used as arguments against legalizing marijuana.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2017, 02:49:58 PM »

Absolutely lower the age to 18. Paternalism has no place when it comes to the behavior of adults.

And I agree with increasing penalties for drunk driving and tightening the areas where smoking is allowed. Those are for the common good, unlike banning personal smoking by taking away people's rights as legal adults.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2017, 03:01:31 PM »

Both the drinking and smoking age should be 18 (normal)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies