KS-GOV: Brownback to resign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:50:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  KS-GOV: Brownback to resign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: KS-GOV: Brownback to resign  (Read 4002 times)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2017, 09:43:01 PM »

What the Hell was Brownback doing so high up at Clinton's state department ?
He was a US Senator at the time and I believe he sponsored the measure to create that position
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2017, 11:29:15 PM »

What the Hell was Brownback doing so high up at Clinton's state department ?
He was a US Senator at the time and I believe he sponsored the measure to create that position

Fiscally conservative Republican creates new useless bureaucratic position in the federal government.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2017, 08:02:00 PM »

Now here's an interesting and odd story. There's a 16 year old running for governor, because state law does not ban it. Strange indeed.
http://www.hutchnews.com/news/20170806/teens-running-on-ticket-for-gov
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2017, 08:03:05 PM »

Now here's an interesting and odd story. There's a 16 year old running for governor, because state law does not ban it. Strange indeed.

Ugh, they look like I could beat them up.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2017, 09:29:11 PM »

Good God, no.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2017, 09:46:21 PM »

I could see them getting ~5% support in the primary. Seems harmless enough.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2017, 12:00:52 AM »

Probably pick up some protest votes if no super progressive candidate hops into the race. I can't see them passing maybe 6%.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2017, 12:02:23 AM »

Probably pick up some protest votes if no super progressive candidate hops into the race. I can't see them passing maybe 6%.
Time to McCaskill them.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2017, 12:53:54 AM »

"Ambassador-at-Large of the United States for International Religious Freedom" sounds like one of the most ineffective and useless posts at the State Department.  Brownback clearly wanted out.

Sounds made-up

Maybe it would involve helping Uganda kill the gays.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2017, 01:56:46 AM »

"Ambassador-at-Large of the United States for International Religious Freedom" sounds like one of the most ineffective and useless posts at the State Department.  Brownback clearly wanted out.

Sounds made-up

Maybe it would involve helping Uganda kill the gays.

It's also a convenient way to get rid of a troublesome problem for the Republicans. A Governor in a conservative state who went all-out on Reaganomics and plunged his state into a budget crisis which means tanking approval ratings and maybe even in an unlikely circumstance handing the Governorship to the Democrats?

It's a quick, easy way to make him impotent.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2017, 02:06:18 AM »

When is his confirmation hearing?
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2017, 09:28:17 AM »

House Minority Leader Jim Ward, known as a progressive bomb-thrower, is entering the gubernatorial race today. Supposedly, a NE Kansas State Senator will be entering soon as well.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2017, 09:45:51 AM »

House Minority Leader Jim Ward, known as a progressive bomb-thrower, is entering the gubernatorial race today. Supposedly, a NE Kansas State Senator will be entering soon as well.

Helps Svaty, no? Only pro-lifer and Ward and Brewer split Wichita vote.

It probably does. However, progressives aren't huge on Brewer or Svaty from what I have seen, but they like Ward. Ward is better known than most Democrats, but between a DUI arrest in 2007 and more recent troubles with his ex-wife, he has a colorful personal record.

If the Kansas Senator who I may announce is from Lawrence or that region, he will be able to win over Lawrence voters (very liberal). Good path for Svaty.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2017, 01:01:30 PM »

Helps Svaty, no? Only pro-lifer and Ward and Brewer split Wichita vote.

It probably does. However, progressives aren't huge on Brewer or Svaty from what I have seen, but they like Ward. Ward is better known than most Democrats, but between a DUI arrest in 2007 and more recent troubles with his ex-wife, he has a colorful personal record.

If the Kansas Senator who I may announce is from Lawrence or that region, he will be able to win over Lawrence voters (very liberal). Good path for Svaty.

Interesting. Svaty is the only Democrat I think would have decent odds given the state's profile. Provided of course that liberals unite behind him after the primary

I keep hearing that Orman will run but not many pundits are talking about it. I do remember at one point Chad Taylor was polling right on Roberts' heels with Orman in the race. Perhaps Orman could position himself as a moderate Republican ideologically if Kobach is the nominee, and the Democrat might have an opening. On the other token, Orman may take enough of the Democratic vote to essentially deny Dems a potential victory.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2017, 07:12:15 AM »

Sounds made-up

A kiss-up to the Protestant fundamentalists and the Opus Dei wing of the Catholic Church.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2017, 06:31:05 PM »

Greg Roman is prepping for another run.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2017, 09:50:48 PM »

*Orman

If he actually runs, it almost certainly means we will have Governor Kobach in 2019. The Democrats running in 2018 aren't as weak as Chad Taylor was in '14 and will be much less likely to defer to Orman. If he wants to run, he should run as a Democrat and duke it out in the primary.
kyc0705

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2017, 12:28:03 PM »

There's also a high school student running for the Republican nomination: http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article174226941.html

What a general election that would be. Obviously that 13-year-old in Vermont would have to win, too.
Duke of York

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2017, 12:34:01 PM »

There's also a high school student running for the Republican nomination: http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article174226941.html

What a general election that would be. Obviously that 13-year-old in Vermont would have to win, too.

If they were the nominee that would be unreal and a true test of the theory that some places would vote for anyone with an R next to their name.
kyc0705

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2017, 12:42:23 PM »

If they were the nominee that would be unreal and a true test of the theory that some places would vote for anyone with an R next to their name.

The most interesting election would be the high school Republican vs. the high school Democrat.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2017, 12:44:00 AM »

And now we have yet another third party in the works:

https://ivn.us/2017/11/01/its-not-me-its-you-kansas-businessman-breaks-gop-form-new-party/?utm_content=bufferb1094&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2017, 01:52:34 AM »

Like a month ago. He got through committee on an 11-10 party line vote. His nomination is currently pending on the Senate's executive calendar. The order in which McConnell brings nominations up seems to be somewhat random, it's not a first-in, first-out system. They could vote on him next week, next month, three months from now, it's kind of hard to know.  Obviously I'll post the vote result on the cabinet hearings thread over in U.S. general discussion when it occurs.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies