Southern Legislation Introduction Thread (3rd version)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:59:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Southern Legislation Introduction Thread (3rd version)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Southern Legislation Introduction Thread (3rd version)  (Read 4176 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2017, 01:43:07 PM »

This will serve us for the duration of the current session.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 01:56:17 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2017, 01:08:41 PM by Delegate West_Midlander »

What we have going on so far this session™
For the session beginning July 20, 2017
1. The Modification of the Southern Heritage Act (West_Midlander) [PASSED]
2. Amendment to Article IV: The Legislative Branch Section 6 (Vern1988) [FAILED]
3. The Parks and Recreation Bill of 2017 (West_Midlander) [STATUTE]
4. Repeal of the "Elimination of Income Tax Act" (West_Midlander) [VETOED]
5. Southern Reinvestment, Redevelopment, and Conservation Act of 2017 (West_Midlander)
6. The Sexual Assault Definition Act (TimTurner, West_Midlander)
7. The LABORER’s Act of 2017 (West_Midlander)
8. The LEARN Act of 2017 (West_Midlander)
ACP/FED
LAB
IND
Bipartisan
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 02:04:49 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2017, 01:07:31 PM by Delegate West_Midlander »

Bill 1: [PASSED]
You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

Bill 2: [FAILED]
[/quote]

Bill 3: [STATUTE]

Bill 4: [VETOED]

Bill 5:

Bill 6:

Bill 7:
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 02:55:06 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2017, 05:22:02 PM by Delegate West_Midlander »

Bill 8:
diptheriadan

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 06:03:36 PM »

I motion for TimTurner's removal from the office of Speaker due to inactivity.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 06:39:51 PM »

I motion for TimTurner's removal from the office of Speaker due to inactivity.

seconded, but Santander hasn't been active either.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 09:03:17 PM »

I'm on board. But I don't want it lol
diptheriadan

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 10:44:22 PM »

6. Vacancies in the South Legislature shall be filled in a manner specified by law, and until such determination is made, by Gubernatorial appointment. Vacancies occur upon resignation, recall, impeachment, failure to swear in within one week of the legislative session’s opening or failure to vote on final passage of four consecutive pieces of legislation without publicly declaring absence.

Santander's out.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 06:29:36 AM »
« Edited: August 31, 2017, 07:31:15 AM by Southern Speaker TimTurner »

Boo.
It's not my fault this chamber isn't doing much of anything!
I'm waiting on the Governor to sign the bills.
Thus, proposing to remove me on grounds of inactivity? What a bunch of nonsensical hogwash. I'd note ofc the Governor has been getting busier in real life.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 06:56:10 AM »

I assume the sponsorship of all West_Midlander bills, to prevent them from dying.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 07:04:31 AM »

1. The Modification of the Southern Heritage Act (West_Midlander) [PASSED]
2. Amendment to Article IV: The Legislative Branch Section 6
(Vern1988) [FAILED]
3. The Parks and Recreation Bill of 2017 (West_Midlander) [STATUTE]
4. Repeal of the "Elimination of Income Tax Act" (West_Midlander) [VETOED]
5. Southern Reinvestment, Redevelopment, and Conservation Act of 2017 (TimTurner)
6. The Sexual Assault Definition Act (TimTurner)
7. The LABORER’s Act of 2017 (TimTurner)
8. The LEARN Act of 2017 (TimTurner)

ACP/FED
LAB
IND
Bipartisan
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 04:10:02 PM »

Boo.
It's not my fault this chamber isn't doing much of anything!
I'm waiting on the Governor to sign the bills.
Thus, proposing to remove me on grounds of inactivity? What a bunch of nonsensical hogwash. I'd note ofc the Governor has been getting busier in real life.

what fun would it be if I didn't give you a hard time Tongue
diptheriadan

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 05:44:48 PM »

On the Modification of the Southern Heritage Act, there was a 19 day difference from when debate stopped and when you called for a vote.

On the Amendment to Article IV Section 6 of the Constitution, there was an 8 day difference from when debate stopped and when you called for a vote.

On the Parks and Recreation Bill of 2017, there was a 6 day difference from when debate stopped and when you called for a vote.

On the Repeal of the Elimination of the Income Tax Act, there was a 13 day difference from when debate stopped and when you called for a vote.

To top it all off, the session has currently lasted for about a month now and we've only passed 4 bills.

So, we've either got a) an inability to call votes when debate stops or b) an inability to encourage debate.

diptheriadan

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 05:49:44 PM »

I've talked with Attorney General Encke and it appears that there isn't a specific procedure for removing a Speaker other than this:

Section II: The Southern Legislation Introduction Thread and Chamber Noticeboard
1. The "Southern Chamber Introduction” thread shall be used for the following purposes:
a. The introduction of bills, resolutions, and constitutional amendments.
b. The posting of any updates to the schedule, calendar, recesses, or other procedural details of the Legislature.
c. Any motions involving the procedure or hierarchy of the Legislature, including a motion for Speaker of the Legislature as well as votes on such a motion.

However, my motion currently has the support of three of four delegates. Because of this, I ask that the Speaker resign from his office and allow a new vote for Speaker and Deputy Speaker.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 09:22:48 PM »

I refuse to step aside.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 11:20:29 PM »

On the Modification of the Southern Heritage Act, there was a 19 day difference from when debate stopped and when you called for a vote.

On the Amendment to Article IV Section 6 of the Constitution, there was an 8 day difference from when debate stopped and when you called for a vote.

On the Parks and Recreation Bill of 2017, there was a 6 day difference from when debate stopped and when you called for a vote.

On the Repeal of the Elimination of the Income Tax Act, there was a 13 day difference from when debate stopped and when you called for a vote.

To top it all off, the session has currently lasted for about a month now and we've only passed 4 bills.

So, we've either got a) an inability to call votes when debate stops or b) an inability to encourage debate.

And you know what? There was a time I asked, shouting to the sky almost, asking if anyone wanted to comment. Nothing happened. You didn't speak up. That's right, you did nothing. If you are insinuating that I didn't even try to encourage debate then you are behaving no better than a liar - in fact you would being a liar.
diptheriadan

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 11:39:51 PM »

The way that I see it, there really are only two reasons for why there was such a large gap between when debate ended and when you called for a vote. Either a) You were trying to let people debate and were unable to encourage debate or b) you were inactive and simply didn't do anything.

You still haven't actually stated as to why there was such a large gap.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 12:02:51 AM »
« Edited: September 01, 2017, 12:35:00 AM by Southern Speaker TimTurner »

The way that I see it, there really are only two reasons for why there was such a large gap between when debate ended and when you called for a vote. Either a) You were trying to let people debate and were unable to encourage debate or b) you were inactive and simply didn't do anything.

You still haven't actually stated as to why there was such a large gap.
I was hoping someone would comment - I hoped to get input from a wide variety of delegates. It was quite possible legislation might have had been improved via the amendment process. I wanted delegates to have a chance to amend it and for the normal legislative process to proceed. I did ask delegates if they wanted to speak up. I asked Santander for instance, he said something along the lines of 'alert me when the final vote is going on'. As it was, turned out a good amount of the delegates elected in the last election weren't really doing their jobs, and/or were engulfed by RL stuff.
You also have to consider the timing. This is a time of the year it seems people are most likely to be distracted by real life.
If your analysis of the situation, pinning all the blame on me (how convenient) is true, then Dipper the Gravity falls character is real, and Quentin Tremblay really was the 8 1/2th President of the United States. You seem to be exposing yourself as a momentary obsequious liar.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 05:15:18 PM »

I ask that we pass this bill ASAP. So that our teachers do not have to protest and have our students suffer!

diptheriadan

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2017, 09:07:07 PM »

So your reasoning for waiting as long as you did to call votes was because you were waiting on people to submit amendments that they did not say there were going to create, correct? Why wouldn't you just message the delegates and ask them if they were planning on amending the bill in order to stop unnecessary waiting?

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 10:06:25 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2017, 10:09:32 PM by Southern Speaker TimTurner »

So your reasoning for waiting as long as you did to call votes was because you were waiting on people to submit amendments that they did not say there were going to create, correct? Why wouldn't you just message the delegates and ask them if they were planning on amending the bill in order to stop unnecessary waiting?
the approach I adopted worked fine in the previous session. I expected it to work again. Instead I had the bad luck to have to face a drought of activity, a time where people historically seemed to be more distracted by real life. Newsflash, you dirty liar: real life can cause big activity problems. And pointing fingers at me when the dialogue should focus on how people can try to get more active in the law making process is intellectual dishonesty. You aren't fit to be Speaker. Not while your campaign amounts to distorting my record and spouting lies.
diptheriadan

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 11:04:39 PM »

Your approach last time didn't include waiting weeks to call votes. I'm not sure what you mean by a "drought of inactivity" because there was lively debate on the bills in the first week they were introduced.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 11:34:25 PM »

Your approach last time didn't include waiting weeks to call votes. I'm not sure what you mean by a "drought of inactivity" because there was lively debate on the bills in the first week they were introduced.
Well we went on a good start, I brought bills to the floor and people talked about them. Inactivity set in after they got to the floor. Also I would note you obtusely deny the role that real life can have in inactivity, and the fact that just because the Speaker might want an active legislative body doesn't mean they will get one.
diptheriadan

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2017, 11:52:12 PM »

The problem here is not with the delegates but with the Speaker. The only thing that separates this session from every other is that there was such a long wait between when debate ceased and when voting began. You can go back and look and you'll see, having a few days of lively debate followed by minimal discussion is completely normal. What is not normal is the Speaker waiting weeks to call for final votes.

diptheriadan

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2017, 11:53:55 PM »

I'd also like to state that we didn't have this problem a year ago in August and September. The Chamber functioned perfectly fine and would regularly vote on bills without prolonged periods of waiting.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies