Has Trump already passed bush, harding, and andrew johnson as the worst? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:48:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Has Trump already passed bush, harding, and andrew johnson as the worst? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has Trump already passed bush, harding, and andrew johnson as the worst?  (Read 2751 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« on: July 29, 2017, 12:35:26 AM »

He has introduced the style of an absolute monarchy, transforming the Presidency into practically a royal court. That is the pattern of George III, and why the Founding Fathers sought to establish a republican form of government. He has decided that he has no responsibility toward those who chose to vote against him and the opposition Party. He has lied frequently about matters best forgotten  (such as his self-proclaimed landslide in November). He has demonized his predecessor who might be just the person to deal with a dangerous situation in Korea. (Contrast the respect that Bill Clinton had for the foreign policy of George H W Bush). He has relied upon yes-men and fanatics to do his bidding.

He betrayed the campaign promises that he made. He uses language in a manner that George Orwell warned us about in 1984. He rejects scientific fact when it runs counter to his ideology. He has debased human rights in America.

He has violated many of the norms of American precedent... and while we have been fortunate that those have not imploded, I can only imagine how badly things can go if something not his doing (an insane act of murderous aggression by the dictator of North Korea, an economic meltdown, or some natural disaster) puts him to the test of statesmanship and he flunks the test at the costs of great human suffering or even mass death.

I am doing everything possible to avoid making a partisan screed out of this assessment. For example I am glad that he failed to achieve some of his promises.  
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 07:53:24 PM »

When the 22nd century arrives, Trump will be revered for stopping the US and the West from getting run over by hordes of uncivilized "immigrants".

He will be remembered for demagoguery, selling out people to whom he made grandiose promises (as opposed to failing to achieve those promises),  running the Presidency like a royal court in an absolutist order, degrading the language of public life, and abandoning the civility necessary for a functioning democracy even if there are no catastrophic consequences of his policies.

If America should go into a spiral of dissolution as did the Soviet Union, then he will be largely held culpable.

Oh, yes -- if I had to choose between illegal immigrants from Central America (MS-13 obviously excepted) and native-born meth fiends, I'd deport the meth fiends no matter how solid their pedigrees.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies