Has Trump already passed bush, harding, and andrew johnson as the worst? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:07:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Has Trump already passed bush, harding, and andrew johnson as the worst? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has Trump already passed bush, harding, and andrew johnson as the worst?  (Read 2731 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« on: July 29, 2017, 12:20:16 AM »
« edited: July 29, 2017, 12:23:25 AM by Ghost of Ruin »

trump has done far more damage in 6 months than bush did in 8 years.

lol..your out of your mind.

I remember paying $3.85 a gallon for gas when I was in High School during the god awful Bush years

My parents lost their house during the economic implosion of 2007/2008

Give it time. Bush made bad medium-term decisions on security and the economy (among other failings). But he (and Cheney) actually did his job.

Trump has set the stage for future demagogues and would-be dictators, damaged our alliances, tripled-down on many terrible choices, poisoned political and public discourse to unprecedented levels, and personally dealt possibly mortal wounds to rule of law and legitimacy of government. Unless he's booted from office soon (having accomplished nothing good whatsoever) he will end up on the bottom. And that takes some doing.

Here's how Bush probably feels about Trump:

(Source comic is not linked, because it is NOT Safe For Work. But funny.)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 12:33:30 AM »

trump has done far more damage in 6 months than bush did in 8 years.

That depends on how you want to look at it. Trump is doing far more damage to our institutions and perceptions of government, imo, but Bush did far more tangible damage. Trump is by far a worse person in terms of character and probably committed copious crimes before becoming president, but overall I think Trump certainly has the potential to do more damage. He just hasn't had enough time yet. I'm sure that given the right opportunities, he could just as easily bungle disaster relief or get embroiled in a never-ending quagmire of a war just like Bush, but there still needs to be a catalyst. I mean, if you look at the way he makes decisions and the chaos his administration is constantly mired in, then it should be hard to argue otherwise.

Bush damaged our institutions far worse than Trump. He willfully lied about Iraq and the consequences of that war have literally destabilized Europe and the Western world.

If you applied the standards that were used in the Nuremberg Trials of what constitutes a war crime....Bush would of been in jail a long time ago.

True. But so would Obama and Trump. (And I'd be okay all of them there.)

But look at the progression on airstrikes (mostly by unmanned craft):

Bush: kills some people, keeps quite about it.
Obama: kills more people, jokes about it.
Trump: kills lots more people, repeatedly brags about wanting to commit war crimes.

Bush made bad decisions. His successors have amplified and normalized those decisions. I'm really not sure which is worse.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies