S4: Repeal of the Elimination of Income Tax Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:45:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S4: Repeal of the Elimination of Income Tax Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: S4: Repeal of the Elimination of Income Tax Act (Failed)  (Read 2251 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2017, 01:59:16 AM »
« edited: August 28, 2017, 11:07:37 PM by Southern Speaker TimTurner »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sponsor: West_Midlander
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 07:39:56 AM »

I'm strongly opposed to this bill.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 01:36:28 PM »

As I ran in my campaign I fully believe that the income tax should come back for people who make over $75,000 with a 40% tax all those who take $150,000 more so I fully support this bill
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 08:05:51 PM »

I think this bill is necessary in order to raise revenues in order to fund infrastructure, in order to tackle our unemployment, the largest in the nation, among other things.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 09:04:37 PM »

I think this bill is necessary in order to raise revenues in order to fund infrastructure, in order to tackle our unemployment, the largest in the nation, among other things.

Have you done any sort of calculations that prove, without a doubt, that regardless of what we do regarding corporate taxes, that the personal income tax must be reintroduced? Or is it just "oh no the Chamber [unanimously] got rid of a tax, we need to bring it back!!!" Tongue
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 09:18:22 PM »

Wasn't it just argued last session that there was an excessive surplus?
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 09:28:03 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2017, 09:33:08 PM by Encke »

Have you done any sort of calculations that prove, without a doubt, that regardless of what we do regarding corporate taxes, that the personal income tax must be reintroduced? Or is it just "oh no the Chamber [unanimously] got rid of a tax, we need to bring it back!!!" Tongue

I think he's doing because he wants money for the LEARN act, which costs 146 billion dollars, according to AZ's cost estimate (bad idea IMO).
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 10:01:37 AM »
« Edited: July 31, 2017, 10:14:52 AM by Delegate West_Midlander »

I think he's doing because he wants money for the LEARN act, which costs 146 billion dollars, according to AZ's cost estimate (bad idea IMO).
Infrastructure is important also. If the Governor cares that we have the largest regional unemployment.

EDIT: Wouldn't an increased corporate tax potentially drive corporations out of the South or overseas, further compounding our unemployment crisis?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 02:08:35 PM »

Infrastructure is important also. If the Governor cares that we have the largest regional unemployment.

EDIT: Wouldn't an increased corporate tax potentially drive corporations out of the South or overseas, further compounding our unemployment crisis?

Infrastructure is important, but 146 billion dollars is a lot of money out of the pockets of working class people, who stand to be the most hurt by this.

And once again, there were arguments last session about having too big of a surplus in the budget. Why not use what is already not being used?
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 02:41:54 PM »

Infrastructure is important, but 146 billion dollars is a lot of money out of the pockets of working class people, who stand to be the most hurt by this.

And once again, there were arguments last session about having too big of a surplus in the budget. Why not use what is already not being used?
The remaining surplus isn't enough for either providing higher education for the poor and/or paying for substantial amounts of infrastructure building.
diptheriadan

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 08:12:47 PM »

How would we go about the creation of the new income tax? Could we just include it in here?
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 08:34:04 AM »

How would we go about the creation of the new income tax? Could we just include it in here?
It's just a repeal of the repeal bill. The old income tax is reinstated and we can amend that as needed from there.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 10:23:42 PM »

Ah yes, the classic "I disagree with your way of "fixing things" -> I don't want things to be fixed" fallacy Tongue

It's just a repeal of the repeal bill. The old income tax is reinstated and we can amend that as needed from there.

That's kind of silly though, no? So this is just a bill with no real articulated need--just based on a guess that we won't be able to afford throwing money at everything as it is--without even any clue of what to do next? One could even argue the validity of the "old income tax," considering it's just the RL state tax codes (and state laws are a rarely-acknowledged part of Atlasia and thus a little fuzzy on exactly how it works).
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 05:10:05 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2017, 09:45:10 PM by Delegate West_Midlander »

We simply don't have enough surplus to pay for infrastructure and/or the LEARN Act, Mr. Governor. The cost of just the LEARN Act exceeds the remaining surplus and the infrastructure bill was specifically tabled due to a lack of funds (before the LEARN Act came to the floor; the region-wide infrastructure project would greatly exceed our existing ability to fund it and stay out of the red).
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 10:16:55 AM »

I'm calling for a final vote. Delegates have 48 hours.
diptheriadan

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 10:17:50 AM »

Aye
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 10:45:26 AM »

Nay
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 10:52:37 AM »

Nay
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2017, 04:33:30 PM »

Aye
(I think you should vote Aye b/c not only would increasing the corporation tax not provide enough money to work on education OR infrastructure (even one issue, not both). It would also create increased strain on corporations operating in our region, perhaps exacerbating our unemployment issue.)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2017, 05:00:50 PM »

Aye.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2017, 09:19:26 PM »

Aye
(I think you should vote Aye b/c not only would increasing the corporation tax not provide enough money to work on education OR infrastructure (even one issue, not both). It would also create increased strain on corporations operating in our region, perhaps exacerbating our unemployment issue.)

Increasing corporate tax revenue =/= increasing corporate tax rates. It could just mean removing loopholes, for example.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 06:55:45 AM »

With 3 Ayes and 2 nays, this bill passes.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 01:40:36 PM »

Aye

Increasing corporate tax revenue =/= increasing corporate tax rates. It could just mean removing loopholes, for example.
How much would just removing loopholes raise? Perhaps we could do that in addition to the income tax, perhaps reducing the income tax later on.
diptheriadan

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 01:45:50 PM »

There's also the chance the reducing loopholes could hurt business.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 10:54:58 PM »

Hmm...maybe.......

...nah Tongue

VETO
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »