Future Stars of the Political Parties in the 2020s
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:51:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Future Stars of the Political Parties in the 2020s
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Future Stars of the Political Parties in the 2020s  (Read 2670 times)
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2017, 02:31:26 PM »

Well, self explanatory. A lot of the 1930's-40's guys are basically gonna be out of the national political picture. Give around five to ten potential well known leaders from both parties who you think will gain national prominence in the 2020s.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 03:07:07 PM »

Democratic: Kamala Harris, Gavin Newsom, Stacey Abrams, Pete Buttigieg, Seth Moulton, John Bel Edwards, Keith Ellison
Republican: Nikki Haley, Marco Rubio, Mia Love, Elise Stefanik, George P. Bush, Eric Greitens, Jeff Flake, Ben Sasse
Medal506
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 10:49:26 PM »

Democratic: Kamala Harris, Gavin Newsom, Stacey Abrams, Pete Buttigieg, Seth Moulton, John Bel Edwards, Keith Ellison
Republican: Nikki Haley, Marco Rubio, Mia Love, Elise Stefanik, George P. Bush, Eric Greitens, Jeff Flake, Ben Sasse

Lol at Marco Rubio, Jeff Flake, George P. Bush!

Medal506
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 11:18:39 PM »

Republican Party: Ted Cruz, Justin Amash, Raul Labrador, Tom Cotton, Ben Sasse, Mia Love, Todd Young, Carly Fiorina, Matt Bevin, Eric Brakey, Josh Mandel (if he wins and unseats Sherrod Brown in 2018) Rick Santorum (possibly future RNC chairman)

Democratic Party: Kamala Harris, Cory Booker, Keith Ellison, Maxine Waters, Gavin Newson, Devel Patrick, Alan Grayson, Patrick Murphy  
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 02:37:57 AM »

Not everyone can be as good at predicting future stars/nominees as you, or at predicting in general:

Ted Cruz more than likely win the nomination in 2020
First of all John Kasich is not going to be the nominee in 2020. It's probably going to come down between Ted Cruz and Bruce Rauner and Ted Cruz will probably end up winning the nomination
It's probably going to be Ted Cruz thats the Republican nominee for President and Rick Scott that's the Republican nominee for Vice President in 2020

Here how the election will be President Hillary Clinton and Vice President Tim Kaine will face Republican presidential nominee Ted Cruz and Republican vice presidential nominee Rick Scott in the general election

Hillary Clinton/Tim Kaine 178 electoral votes 46.3%
Ted Cruz/Rick Scott 360 electoral votes 53.4%

[The 2020 GOP Nominee is] going to be Ted Cruz so the second option
I think Newt Gingrich will probably run for president again in 2020 then be one of the first ones out

Weren't you also the one who predicted Trump would lose not only Georgia, but South Carolina as well?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 05:49:27 AM »

Cory Booker/Tim Ryan; 

Ted Cruz/Rand Paul
Medal506
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 10:46:26 AM »

Not everyone can be as good at predicting future stars/nominees as you, or at predicting in general:

Ted Cruz more than likely win the nomination in 2020
First of all John Kasich is not going to be the nominee in 2020. It's probably going to come down between Ted Cruz and Bruce Rauner and Ted Cruz will probably end up winning the nomination
It's probably going to be Ted Cruz thats the Republican nominee for President and Rick Scott that's the Republican nominee for Vice President in 2020

Here how the election will be President Hillary Clinton and Vice President Tim Kaine will face Republican presidential nominee Ted Cruz and Republican vice presidential nominee Rick Scott in the general election

Hillary Clinton/Tim Kaine 178 electoral votes 46.3%
Ted Cruz/Rick Scott 360 electoral votes 53.4%

[The 2020 GOP Nominee is] going to be Ted Cruz so the second option
I think Newt Gingrich will probably run for president again in 2020 then be one of the first ones out

Weren't you also the one who predicted Trump would lose not only Georgia, but South Carolina as well?

You had to go back almost an entire year ago? 
Medal506
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 10:54:55 AM »

I'm just saying you thinking Marco Rubio, George P. Bush and Jeff Flake have any future in the Republican Party let along the country is laughable. Jeff Flake is probably one of if not the most hated guy in the Republican Party! Marco Rubio absolutey pathetic performance last year walking away with only one state and probably coasting the Republican Party unity by staying in longer than he should have. George P. Bush the Bush family is old and has run its course as both presidents in the Bush family are absolute failures and hated by both sides. Say what ever you want about what I said almost a year ago but these predictions are so unrealistic they're not even funny
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 11:23:20 AM »

I'm just saying you thinking Marco Rubio, George P. Bush and Jeff Flake have any future in the Republican Party let along the country is laughable. Jeff Flake is probably one of if not the most hated guy in the Republican Party! Marco Rubio absolutey pathetic performance last year walking away with only one state and probably coasting the Republican Party unity by staying in longer than he should have. George P. Bush the Bush family is old and has run its course as both presidents in the Bush family are absolute failures and hated by both sides. Say what ever you want about what I said almost a year ago but these predictions are so unrealistic they're not even funny
Rubio's performance was lackluster in the primaries but in the Senate race he more than made up for it (it also helped that Murphy is an idiot who knows practically nothing and lied about his resume). His senate performance shows that he has it in him. It just don't believe it was his time. Many believed he was too young and too inexperienced. Add a few more years to his term and hopefully a win in 2022 (assuming he doesn't run for president in 2020) will put him up to being a top-tier candidate in 2024 or 2028.

Also George P. Bush is aiming to rise in Texas politics and could certainly run for governor when Abbott retires.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 01:12:14 PM »

Rubio's performance was lackluster in the primaries but in the Senate race he more than made up for it (it also helped that Murphy is an idiot who knows practically nothing and lied about his resume). His senate performance shows that he has it in him. It just don't believe it was his time. Many believed he was too young and too inexperienced. Add a few more years to his term and hopefully a win in 2022 (assuming he doesn't run for president in 2020) will put him up to being a top-tier candidate in 2024 or 2028.

Also George P. Bush is aiming to rise in Texas politics and could certainly run for governor when Abbott retires.

Yeah there's one problem. Conservatives and Republicans hate him. He's rated one of the most unpopular senators in the country. If Rubio does decide to run again he would probably be like the Rick Santorum of 2024 and get completely obliterated. He'd probably either drop out after Iowa or not even get to the primaries. Rubio is finished he's old news and the line he used about Hillary Clinton being yesterday's news will be said about him if he ever decides to run again
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 03:50:05 PM »

If this is the Democratic superstar lineup than I'm severely disappointed. Of the listed Democrats the only good ones are Pete Buttigieg and Keith Ellison. Thinking about superstar Seth Moulton makes me wanna vomit in my mouth.
hopper
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 09:20:19 PM »

H.W. Bush was an average President. You are correct though that people didn't like Bush W('s) Presidency.
hopper
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 09:22:39 PM »

Yeah there's one problem. Conservatives and Republicans hate him. He's rated one of the most unpopular senators in the country. If Rubio does decide to run again he would probably be like the Rick Santorum of 2024 and get completely obliterated. He'd probably either drop out after Iowa or not even get to the primaries. Rubio is finished he's old news and the line he used about Hillary Clinton being yesterday's news will be said about him if he ever decides to run again
Rubio is as finished as Hillary? Rubio is way younger than Hillary and has charisma as a politician that Hillary never had.
hopper
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 09:24:07 PM »

If this is the Democratic superstar lineup than I'm severely disappointed. Of the listed Democrats the only good ones are Pete Buttigieg and Keith Ellison. Thinking about superstar Seth Moulton makes me wanna vomit in my mouth.
Democrats rave about Moulton on here I just never understood the hype about him.
hopper
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 09:27:17 PM »

Republican Party: Ted Cruz, Justin Amash, Raul Labrador, Tom Cotton, Ben Sasse, Mia Love, Todd Young, Carly Fiorina, Matt Bevin, Eric Brakey, Josh Mandel (if he wins and unseats Sherrod Brown in 2018) Rick Santorum (possibly future RNC chairman)

Democratic Party: Kamala Harris, Cory Booker, Keith Ellison, Maxine Waters, Gavin Newson, Devel Patrick, Alan Grayson, Patrick Murphy  
Maxine Waters has been in Congress since 1991 so she is not a future star of the Democratic Party.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 09:51:33 PM »

Maxine Waters has been in Congress since 1991 so she is not a future star of the Democratic Party.

So was Sanders, and he's a star now. Not as rising star, but a star. Waters is riding the social media revolution really well.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 10:01:55 PM »

Democrats rave about Moulton on here I just never understood the hype about him.
I don't get it either. I don't know many people in Massachusetts who particularly like him. He caught a lot of flack for primarying Tierney. He's just obscenely ambitious and I really don't like him. The only positive thing I've heard about is how all the women try to impress him at Democratic events here because he's handsome and single.
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 10:09:26 PM »

For the GOP Ted Cruz Nikki Hayley Mike Lee Josh Hawley Ben Sasse Mike Pence and finally KID ROCK
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 10:13:52 PM »

For the GOP Ted Cruz Nikki Hayley Mike Lee Josh Hawley Ben Sasse Mike Pence and finally KID ROCK
I feel like Ted Cruz has destroyed any sort of stardom status he might've had. I definitely agree with Haley, Lee, and Sasse though.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 03:21:29 AM »

Democrats: Elizabeth Warren, Kirsten Gillibrand, Kamala Harris, Gavin Newsom, Tim Ryan (potentially), Keith Ellison (sadly)
Republicans: Ben Sasse, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Tom Cotton, Josh Hawley, Mike Lee, (Potentially) Todd Young,

Very interesting how governors are more likely to be dark horses IMO. Their national presence is much lower than senators.
uti2

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 03:37:07 AM »

Rubio is as finished as Hillary? Rubio is way younger than Hillary and has charisma as a politician that Hillary never had.

I don't think you understand the definition of charisma. A charismatic person is simply a type of individual who can maintain a loyal following. The primaries proved rubio to have a less loyal following than even Kasich. He's just a guy who was there, a holding spot for a party faction, more than anyone special.

The Santorum analogies are interesting considering that Santorum easily won his PA senate race while Gore carried the state in 2000.

Was John Edwards 'more charismatic' than Hillary?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 08:10:12 PM »

Medal... There haven't been any elections in America that you could have predicted wrongly since then. I'm a Kasich hack, but at my most hackish I predicted he'd come second in New Hampshire, for which I was repeatedly mocked time after time after time on AH.com.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 10:49:42 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2017, 06:19:43 AM by Mister Mets »

I'll define stars as Presidents, Vice Presidents, national candidates, prominent legislators, prominent members of presidential administrators and executives with national reputations, limiting it to 5 to 6 per party per decade.

We can loook backwards to see what 2010s stars were doing a decade earlier.

In 2007, Trump was becoming more apolitical after some claims he'll run for President, Romney was a one-term Governor, Pence and Ryan were rising members of Congress, Nikki Haley was a
young state legislator, and Chris Christie (a star for a few years) was a US Attorney. On the Democratic side, Hillary Clinton was a prominent Senator/ former presidential relative, Bernie Sanders was a House backbencher recruited by Democrats to run as an Independent who agrees to caucus with them, Elizabeth Warren was a professor appointed to a congressional oversight panel, and Cory Booker was a Newark councilman who won the mayorality in his second go-around.

We could also check it out with the 2000s stars.

Looking at 2000s stars in 1997, George W Bush was a big-state Governor related to a former President, Dick Cheney was a retired Cabinet member/ CEO, John McCain was a war hero Senator considered a potential running mate for Dole, Condoleeza Rice was an academic with ties to Chevron, Rudy Giuliani was a prominent mayor, and Bill Frist was a prominent doctor who got elected to the Senate. On the Democratic side, Hillary Clinton was a first lady, Barack Obama was a law professor who just got elected to the state legislature, Nancy Pelosi was a congresswoman with a reputation as a good fundraiser, John Edwards was a prominent lawyer, John Kerry was a war hero Senator, and Joe Biden was a prominent Senator.

If history is any precedent, it's quite likely that some of the major stars of the 2020s are currently academics and/ or state legislators, and it's pretty much nigh-impossible to pick which one will rise. The 2028 election is unlikely to consist entirely of people who currently hold statewide office.

It's foolhardy to look at current officeholders and pick which of them will succeed since politics is a fickle business. At one point, Tom Daschle, Russ Feingold, Scott Brown and George Allen looked like potential stars, and then they lost their Senate reelection efforts. Evan Bayh and Tim Pawlenty came close to being on national tickets several times.

That said, there are some people who are more likely than others to succeed.

On the Democratic side, new Senators and Governors would have an outsized chance of a significant influence in the coming decade. Kamala Harris is getting the most attention, and has the advantage of the California media market as well as a background appropriate perfect for a time when criminal justice reform is on liberal's minds. Gavin Newsom is likely to be elected Governor of California, offering an alternative model of liberal leadership.

On the Republican side, future political stars are probably going to emerge in opposition to the next Democratic President. Tom Cotton and Ben Sasse are well-positioned to get reelected in tough cycles for the party, and have been getting outsized attention.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 11:07:32 AM »

Medal... There haven't been any elections in America that you could have predicted wrongly since then. I'm a Kasich hack, but at my most hackish I predicted he'd come second in New Hampshire, for which I was repeatedly mocked time after time after time on AH.com.

The only election predictions I was making was on the 2016 election as I was only here since April of 2016. I may not be great at knowing how the electorate will vote 3 or 7 years from now but I'm pretty sure I know more about the type of people that the real electorate like. Well enough to know that the most hated republican senators Jeff Flake and Marco Rubio have no future in politics past 2020.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 06:18:06 PM »

Whoever unseats Gardner in 2020 (I hope it's Crisanta Duran, but she probably has to wait a few more years).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies