How does a Typical Service go at your Church?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:35:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  How does a Typical Service go at your Church?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How does a Typical Service go at your Church?  (Read 1419 times)
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2017, 08:42:28 PM »

How does a typical service go at your church? What denomination?
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 09:56:32 PM »

Greeting, Scripture/Sermon, Communion, Sending.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 10:15:42 PM »

Entrance procession, confiteor, readings, sermon, profession of faith, offertory, Eucharistic prayer (incl. consecration), communion, blessing, recessional.

My description is lacking detail in some places, but that is an overview of the order of a Catholic Mass.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 11:36:36 PM »

-The band plays some songs.
-Someone comes up and talks about some upcoming things and events and introduces the main speaker.
-The main speaker gives his/her sermon.
-The band plays some more songs.
-Someone gives some closing announcements before leaving.

If there's communion it's given during the last music set.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 01:09:26 AM »

About 15 minutes of Music
Opening prayer, scripture, and offertory
~1 hour sermon
Closing song
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 04:01:30 AM »

Worship service
We follow a word and table liturgy typical of many older Protestant​ churches:

Call to worship (responsive Psalm)
Singing
Lords Prayer+Common Doxology or Gloria Patri
OT reading

Call to repentance (Isaiah 1:18 or similar)
Corporate confession of sin (from BCP)
Declaration of forgiveness (1 John 1:8 or similar)
Singing

Epistle reading
Prayer
Gospel reading
Sermon

Creed
Lord's supper
Singing
Benediction

Singing is about 50/50 hymns, CCM. Modernists will omit some of the liturgical bits and sing more CCM. Traditionalists will swap out CCM for Psalms.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 07:21:00 AM »

-Someone comes up and talks about some upcoming things and events and introduces the main speaker.

Does the Bible fit into this at all?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 07:31:12 AM »
« Edited: July 31, 2017, 07:37:12 AM by Compassion Fills the Void »

That's during the sermon. The speaker will usually make some allegory in what they're talking about to something Jesus did or something Paul wrote, and then put a verse talking about that on the screen.

Although you wouldn't like that they sometimes use The Message.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 09:21:01 AM »

That's during the sermon. The speaker will usually make some allegory in what they're talking about to something Jesus did or something Paul wrote, and then put a verse talking about that on the screen.

So there's no calendar or regular schedule of readings?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 09:24:45 AM »

Pretty much the traditional aspects of a Catholic service (more to do with the "look" of things, not the content) combined with the more relaxed, personal vibe of liberal Protestant thought.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 11:30:10 AM »

That wouldn't make any sense since the sermon topics are based on the theme of the current series, which varies year by year. The only real constants are Easter (but if course that changes every year) and Advent/Christmas.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 11:44:20 AM »

That wouldn't make any sense since the sermon topics are based on the theme of the current series, which varies year by year. The only real constants are Easter (but if course that changes every year) and Advent/Christmas.

Well yes, I believe the Catholic Church uses a four-year cycle, so readings will vary by each year. Your mention of series, though, implies some sort of missal, or its equivalent, to govern the topic and direction of services, which is in a sense what I was curious about. It seems that this structuring does not go so far as to prescribe certain scripture selections for each week.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 12:59:09 PM »

LDS/Mormon Church services are divided into three hour blocks, which used to be in random order for each ward (congregation), but now always have Sacrament Meeting first, if I recall correctly. Here's basically how it goes.

Sacrament Meeting, about 70 minutes:

-Call to Attention by a member of the bishopric (bishop and two counselors).

-Opening Hymn and Prayer.

-Organizational announcements (who received what "calling" in the church, and so forth)

-Baby blessings (but not baptisms, we don't have those), if any.

-Sacrament Hymn

-Sacrament (Communion) is taken to members of the ward and any visitors who choose to partake.

-Sermons ("talks) by lay members, usually assigned by the bishopric, but one week a month, we have spontaneous talks.

Closing Hymn and Prayer.

Sunday School (about 50 minutes)

-Call to Attention, Opening Hymn (sometimes?) and Opening Prayer

-Teacher gives lesson, talking about some aspect of church history, the Book of Mormon/other scriptures, etc. Audience participation is encouraged. Much like a school lesson, basically.

-Closing prayer.

-Children 5-12 go to Primary instead, which is similar to Sunday School, but for kids. Classes are separated by age group. Nursery for mothers with children under 5.

Elders Quorum/High Priests Quorum and Relief Society (60 minutes)Sad

-Elders are adult men (18 and over) with the priesthood. This is our basic "rank" within the church. High Priests are generally older Elders who have a calling requiring greater spiritual authority, like a bishop or stake president. Relief Society are all women over 18. I can't speak for High Priests or Relief Society meetings, but I am an Elder.

-10 or so minute "Opening Exercises" combining Elders and High Priests, with any announcements being discussed at that time. Opening Hymn and prayer. Split into constituent quorums for the rest of the meeting.

-Similar to Sunday School, assigned teacher gives a lesson, and discusses a particular aspect of the Gospel, of Church History, or of the scriptures, and audience participation happens. We all read from the scriptures if asked to, etc.

-Closing Prayer. We're done.

There are some events that disrupt the three hour block (Ward, Stake, and General Conference), but generally that's how it goes, at least in Utah congregations.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 01:55:38 PM »

Well yes, I believe the Catholic Church uses a four-year cycle, so readings will vary by each year. Your mention of series, though, implies some sort of missal, or its equivalent, to govern the topic and direction of services, which is in a sense what I was curious about. It seems that this structuring does not go so far as to prescribe certain scripture selections for each week.

The serieses don't go on much of a schedule though. Its simply whatever the pastors want to talk about for how many weeks that'll take. Usually they don't even know what the series will be except for the next one. Plus even within the series whoever's speaking can talk about whatever they want, so having a schedule of verses wouldn't make any sense.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 02:32:25 PM »

LDS/Mormon Church services are divided into three hour blocks, which used to be in random order for each ward (congregation), but now always have Sacrament Meeting first, if I recall correctly. Here's basically how it goes.

-Organizational announcements (who received what "calling" in the church, and so forth)

-Sacrament Hymn

-Sacrament (Communion) is taken to members of the ward and any visitors who choose to partake.

-Sermons ("talks) by lay members, usually assigned by the bishopric, but one week a month, we have spontaneous talks.

Closing Hymn and Prayer.

-Teacher gives lesson, talking about some aspect of church history, the Book of Mormon/other scriptures, etc. Audience participation is encouraged. Much like a school lesson, basically.

-Closing prayer.

-Children 5-12 go to Primary instead, which is similar to Sunday School, but for kids. Classes are separated by age group. Nursery for mothers with children under 5.

-Elders are adult men (18 and over) with the priesthood. This is our basic "rank" within the church. High Priests are generally older Elders who have a calling requiring greater spiritual authority, like a bishop or stake president. Relief Society are all women over 18. I can't speak for High Priests or Relief Society meetings, but I am an Elder.

-10 or so minute "Opening Exercises" combining Elders and High Priests, with any announcements being discussed at that time. Opening Hymn and prayer. Split into constituent quorums for the rest of the meeting.

-Similar to Sunday School, assigned teacher gives a lesson, and discusses a particular aspect of the Gospel, of Church History, or of the scriptures, and audience participation happens. We all read from the scriptures if asked to, etc.

There are some events that disrupt the three hour block (Ward, Stake, and General Conference), but generally that's how it goes, at least in Utah congregations.

Besides obvious things (like the Book of Mormon), what are some  of the differences in beliefs between Mormon and Protestants?

Well, I actually have my own thread to cover that; I don't want to clog up this thread so I will answer your question on that thread.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 01:26:37 AM »

-Sacrament Hymn

Closing Hymn and Prayer.

-Closing prayer.

Unless there was some big-a&^ proclamation I ain't heard of, I'm pretty sure there's plenty of congregations that do Sacrament Meeting at the end.

Also...you forgot the Youth category for them Teenagers.
LCSPopTart
Rookie
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 08:16:08 AM »

This is exactly like mine.
Gone to Carolina
SaltGiver
Rookie
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 07:24:41 PM »

-Everyone comes in and sits down
-Sing some songs
-Have someone come up and read two passages from the Bible
-Pastor comes and reads from the Gospel
-Pastor has the little kids come up to give them a short lesson before sending them out to the nursery / bible school
-Sermon
-Music interspersed throughout the remainder
-Nicene Creed / Lord's Prayer
-Sharing the Peace
-Communion
-Leave
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 03:21:51 PM »

Opening Song as People come in
Someone Welcomes Us
Singing
Prayer
Singing
Bible Verse
Singing
Any Baptisms
Preacher
Announcements

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2017, 08:11:24 PM »

I'm Jewish. I don't really go to temple often enough to know what a typical service is like unfortunately.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 12:50:51 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2017, 05:51:57 PM by JGibson »

At my UCC church in Granite City, IL, the rough order is as follows:
- Bells
- Devotional reading
- Greeting (during the Spring, Summer, and early half of Fall) and hymn
- Announcements
- Prelude
- Call to Worship
- Hymn
- Responsive Affirmation of Faith
- Contemplation of the week
- Hymn
- Epistle reading
- song [is sung either by the chancel choir,  bell choir, praise band Open Arms, or some other special musician(s)].
- Gospel reading
- Sermon (called reflection)
- Hymn
- Our Father prayer (the Our Father is sung only on Sundays or services with communion)
- Offertory [organ playing or song is sung either by the chancel choir,  bell choir, praise band Open Arms, or some other special musician(s)].
- Post-offertory response
- Unison prayer of dedication
- On the first Sunday of the month, Easter, and Pentecost: Communion
- Hymn (on the first Sunday of the month, the noisy offering takes place here)
- Benediction

Open Arms is the church's praise band; however, they play about once a month, and for only 2 or so songs. The rest is of the singing is done via hymnals or the traditional choirs, except during the Summer months. During the Summer months, there will be special musicians singing during a couple of the songs, alongside the hymnals.

All in all, the service lasts about an hour (60 minutes) to 75 minutes, depending on other factors (such as communion, special speakers, baptism).

My previous church (and rarely still go to), which was an SBC church:
- Opening announcements.
- Praise Team/Congregation sing
- prayer
- various singers sing.
- Praise Team/Congregation sing
- Offertory prayer
- Offering
- various singers sing
- Responsive reading
- Sermon
- Invitation
- Closing announcements
- Closing song
The evening service modifies this somewhat.

The services on Sunday mornings, when I used to go there, were from about 75-90 minutes. Evenings just over an hour.

Parts where congregation stands if able to do so.

Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 09:01:32 PM »

The Entrance Procession
Prayers at the Foot of the Altar
The Introit
The KYRIE
The Chanting of the Epistle
The Gradual
The Gospel Reading in Latin
The Gospel Reading in English
Homily
The Nicene Creed
The Offetory
The Washing of the Fingers
The Secret
The Canon
The Commeration of the Living
The Commeration of the Saints
The Consecration
The Offering of the Victim
Commeration of the Dead
The Pater Noster
Communion of the Priest
Communion of the Faithful
The Post Communion Prayer
Final Prayers
Ite Missa Est
The Last Gospel: Beginning of the Gospel of John

The faithful really has no interaction and basically all of the mass is celebrated by the priest.
http://www.latinliturgy.com/OrdinaryFormMassText.pdf
A text for all those who want to read. It's basically a missal.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 09:48:14 PM »

- Opening song
- Welcome by a church deacon/elder and his family
- More singing
- A prayer
- More singing
- A collection offering
- More singing
- Communion
- More singing
- Sermon
- Song of Invitation
- Closing song
- Blessing/closing prayer given by an elder

100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 10:58:31 PM »

Small Southern Baptist church:

-Opening 2 hymns
-Announcements and psalm
-Greetings
-2 More hymns
-Main scripture lesson
-Closing hymn

It usually takes an hour and can change somewhat for a special event like a baptism or the Lord's Supper.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 08:28:21 AM »

The Greek Orthodox service is a much much longer version of a Catholic mass.....
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies