San Juan County, New Mexico
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:37:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  San Juan County, New Mexico
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: San Juan County, New Mexico  (Read 1456 times)
rhody
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2017, 09:16:19 PM »

Why is San Juan County, New Mexico (northwest corner) so heavily Republican when all of the surrounding counties are Democratic? It voted 60% Republican yet it is only around 32% white (Non-Hispanic), with the remaining being mainly Native American (Navajo) or Hispanic. The surrounding counties have larger percentages of Hispanics or Native Americans, but they voted heavily Democratic. I understand why Republicans do better in San Juan, but shouldn't Democrats still win there based on these demographics? The non-Hispanic whites in the Farmington area must be heavily Republican and the Hispanic and Native American vote must not be as much Democratic. Why is this?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 05:42:37 PM »

Rhody---  welcome again to the Forum!

I know I already did that on your second post and discussion on the 2016 elections in Rhode Island, but just want to say again how rare it is to get new posters jumping in off the bat with significant contributions, and a brain teaser on your sixth post no less!!!!

So regarding San Juan County, New Mexico....

I confess I'm not particularly well versed on the Political Geography and Demographics of New Mexico, but it was a very interesting question, so I spent an hour or so trying to look at the Census Data and precinct level returns (Which are available for recent elections on the County website), since the more one looks at the county, the more interesting it becomes and stands out....

So I'll attempt to render my limited and humble opinions, and hopefully someone with more background will jump in, like one of resident New Mexico/ SW political experts, or someone more versed in the subject than myself....

1.) Political voting patterns appear to be heavy polarized between majority Anglo communities and those precincts that are located on the Reservation (~ 20% of the County Population). Off-Reservation precincts tend to vote overwhelmingly Republican (~80% in '16). This is not totally uncommon in the Mountain West, where frequently there is a long history of land conflict between the First Nations, and the Farming/Ranching settler population (See Montana/ North Dakota/ South Dakota for similar type examples.

2.) The Navajo Nation precincts tend to have a significantly higher level of Republican support, than many other First Nations/ Native American "Reservations" in many other parts of the country. I did a brief survey going back to around 2004 Pres GE results, and it looks like Republicans tend to bag about 25-30% of the Reservation Vote, even though Census Data appears to indicate that the New Mexico portion of the Reservation is almost 100% Native... (I'm slightly skeptical on the Census Data here for multiple reasons... but still).

3.) Voter Registration and Turnout appears to be significantly lower on Reservation precincts than off-Reservation precincts. This is not unusual on Native Land for a variety of reasons, but one of the big Civil Rights voting issues when it comes to the sovereign First Nations, is the the inaccessibility of voting precinct locations. There have been a ton of lawsuits in various parts of the country on this various subject, but obviously something like Vote-by-Mail (VbM) tends to make rural voting much more accessible, especially in some of the poorest rural areas, where many people don't have reliable transportation and can't afford the gas money to drive to some remote voting location.

4.) The age demographics of the County.... Anglos are a plurality of the population at the 45-54 Year age range (48.2%), jump to 57% (55-64), 60% (65-74), 63% (75-84), and 73% (85+ Years).... Considering that 23% of the population is 55+ this is significant....

Meanwhile 30% of the population is under the age of 18.... These numbers run only about 30% Anglo.... (Old New Mexican Spanish might identify as Latino or White for Census purposes). An additional 24% of the population are voting age Millennials (18-34 Yrs).... It is notably that 3rd Party voters captured 10% of the vote here, with the vast majority voting Libertarian.... something tells me most of these voters weren't in the 45+ age bracket.

5.) It's really not clear to what extent the Off-Reservation Native population votes Democratic at a Presidential level....  Looking at the data something close to 30% of the population of overwhelmingly Republican Farmington is Native American, and yet is still votes Republican by insanely overwhelming numbers.

There is also the history of assimilation in the Eastern part of the Navajo Nation (New Mexico) that included other items beyond the standard genocidal practices of the Settler population, namely destruction of the traditional patterns of communal land ownership and establishment of private property rights.

http://www.nec.navajo-nsn.gov/Portals/0/NN%20Research/Psychosocial/2007_%20migration_%20assimilation%20and%20the%20cultural%20construction%20of%20identity-navajo%20perspectives.pdf

6.) I could go out on a limb and also note that the county is 9% LDS and there is a significant energy sector element to the local economy, from Coal Mining to other activities that accounts for 31% of the Navajo Nation revenue... Still, there have been Mormons and energy extraction in San Juan County for over a Hundred Years, but honestly I don't believe this argument and it doesn't past the basic logic test, other than perhaps a few % point swing among Native Voters.... The County has been voting overwhelmingly Republican for decades, well before the "Energy Wars" of the 2000s, and many poorer and working-class Mormons in the Mountain West tended to vote Democratic until a few short decades back.

Anyone else want to chime in with other insights?

Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 07:58:19 PM »

Very interesting. A quick skim over the history of Presidential elections in this county shows that it is very favorable territory for 3rd parties - particularly George Wallace who performed 4 points better in this county than he did nationwide (and almost 10 points better than he did in the state as a whole) despite New Mexico not being in his geographical base. Additionally, LBJ won this county by less than 100 votes despite his national landslide and 59-40 win statewide. Perhaps racially charged politics resonates in this community?
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 08:06:31 PM »

I think if we could find out whether the Hispanic population there is mostly Mexican or Hispano (descendants of Spanish colonists), that could explain a little. Hispanos seem to turn out at higher levels than most Hispanics - which makes sense, because they're more integrated.
rhody
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 09:23:40 PM »

Wow, I'm impressed with the research, NOVA Green! Results in other nearby counties (such as McKinley) do seem to show that Navajos don't vote as Democratic as other Native Americans--if they were voting in similar numbers to some other tribes (such as those in the Dakotas), McKinley would be close to 10% more democratic.
Maybe it's the Hispanic vote in San Juan that is a lot more Republican than surrounding counties...
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 10:01:28 PM »

Wow, I'm impressed with the research, NOVA Green! Results in other nearby counties (such as McKinley) do seem to show that Navajos don't vote as Democratic as other Native Americans--if they were voting in similar numbers to some other tribes (such as those in the Dakotas), McKinley would be close to 10% more democratic.
Maybe it's the Hispanic vote in San Juan that is a lot more Republican than surrounding counties...

I did look at McKinley county to try to assess the Navajo Vote,  as well as Apache County Arizona (58% of the Population speaks Navajo at home vs 38% English!!!).

If one looks at the Latino population, it is heavily skewed towards a younger population, roughly 15% of the population under the age of 18 are Latino, and it drops closer to 10% once you start hitting the critical 35+ year old population.

Also, this isn't something I mentioned before, but one also needs to look at many workers drawn from elsewhere since the economic recovery from the recession to work in the Mining Sector in San Juan County....

https://gonm.biz/uploads/documents/2015SOTW.pdf

Now,, one other item that I was trying to locate was the % of H2-A workers in San Juan County, New Mexico.... As I have observed in some heavily Latino farming/ranching counties in Oregon, there are actually quite a few foreign nationals working in the farms, fields, food processing plants, and ranches, in the "Mountain West", that are basically little more than minimum wage labor for the employers, but yet have no voting rights as foreign nationals under contract, that inflate Census numbers in many of these types of counties. Especially now, you have many seasonal agricultural workers that shift from State to State, County to County, based upon the seasonal harvests, that in many cases have their spouses and children that travel along that long and dusty road...

The migratory agricultural labor at the time of the 1930s (Dust Bowl refugees) has increasingly become supplanted since the 1950s/1960s starting with the Bracero program, by Mexican-Americans, and increasingly Central-Americans working the fields with Mexican-American Foremen as the newer generation of "Line Bosses".

Still, agriculture/ranching doesn't appear to be the case--- 10.8% of the County population is employed in the Oil/Gas/Mining Industry....  Occupations like Trucking, Repair, Construction, and Transportation are where it's at.

Many of these jobs bring people from outside the region, with places like Texas placing high on the list in a "Rough-Neck" boomtown County....

So anyways--- here are a few songs...

The first for migratory agricultural labor sung by the legendary Woody Guthrie during the Great Depression "Pastures of Plenty" , and the second song from Johnny Cash "Proud to be a Roughneck"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH2DJvgNlMA&list=RDBH2DJvgNlMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_H4w1Id7yE

So--- Idk about the Latino vote, but the Anglo ranchers definitely vote overwhelmingly 'Pub, and the Navajo Nation doesn't vote as much as the Anglos, and plus they vote more 'Pub than most other Native Populations....
mianfei
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 10:05:52 AM »
« Edited: December 09, 2019, 07:06:12 PM by mianfei »

“Nova Green”,

your post is very interesting. Looked at in the context of 2020 US politics, the Colorado Plateau region is notable for the proximity of fiercely Democratic and fiercely Republican areas over a fairly wide area. The only other part of the nation that seems to my mind remotely comparable is the North Carolina Piedmont.

San Juan County, New Mexico is not actually that uniquely Republican for the region – Montezuma County and Dolores County over the Colorado line are equally Republican, but much whiter, although Montezuma does have the highest Native percentage of any Colorado county. San Juan County, Utah is even more Native than its New Mexico namesake but has not voted Democratic since 1936, although in 2008 Obama did better than any Democrat since FDR in 1940 and Trump in 2016 received the smallest GOP percentage since Landon. Although San Juan County, UT is more Mormon than its New Mexico namesake, it is the least Mormon county in Utah.

Energy seems to me as an important factor keeping the two San Juan Counties so Republican. Even before environmentally sensitive college students began controlling the Democratic Party, the oil industry would favour the GOP because it encouraged less regulation as far back as the New Deal. Then there is the issue of uranium mining, which I cannot imagine to have favoured a pro-union or a pro-environment party. Because differences on environmental issues are no doubt one factor behind the complex but intense partisan patterns of the Colorado Plateau, their effects might be magnified in a city like Farmington. Moreover, if energy is an important source of revenue for some Navajos, it would have dramatically affected voting patterns even before the Democratic Party turned is attention to environmental issues.

What we have, in a nutshell, is a highly atypical county in  politically a distinctly atypical region.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies