North Korea Mega Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:10:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  North Korea Mega Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 34
Author Topic: North Korea Mega Thread  (Read 78313 times)
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2017, 10:38:38 PM »
« edited: August 01, 2017, 02:12:25 PM by TexasGurl »

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 11:08:05 PM »

I guess the Trump misadministration's official position is, that war-war (and nuke-nuke) is better than jaw-jaw.

On the silver lining side, launching a nuclear war against North Korea that turns into a complete disaster has at least a small chance of getting him not only booted out of the White House, but also put on trial for war crimes. (I wouldn't normally think such a thing could happen to any US president, no matter how feckless. But let's not underestimate Trump's ability to piss powerful people off.)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 11:26:04 PM »

Kinda lost for words ....
Not sure what to say.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 11:49:17 PM »

All partisan hackery aside, I am legitimately frightened about this situation in Trump's hands.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 12:19:10 AM »

Contrary to you worry warts, I see this as saying, unless China's gonna do something, there's no point in passing yet another toothless resolution. It's not a call for war-war, but yawn-yawn.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 01:49:49 AM »

Contrary to you worry warts, I see this as saying, unless China's gonna do something, there's no point in passing yet another toothless resolution. It's not a call for war-war, but yawn-yawn.

I would agree, except for
You must be logged in to read this quote.

That sounds to me like a rejection of further diplomacy.  But hey, maybe the Trump administration is just lying some more, and maybe the North Korean government knows that.

Thanks Republicans for giving us a situation where our hope for peace is that the North Korean government correctly and rationally determines that the President of the United States is a crazed liar.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 01:58:40 AM »

Nothing is going to happen, but part of me wishes something would, just so this saber rattling stops.

Rip it off like a bandaid.
Higgins
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 02:24:15 AM »

Nothing is going to happen, but part of me wishes something would, just so this saber rattling stops.

Here here. Just bomb the hell out of them already and get it over with. NK is a dangerous, hostile power and each day we delay, is a step toward them one day lobbing one at a city here.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 07:09:22 AM »

That sounds to me like a rejection of further diplomacy. 

No, it's a rejection of more pointless yammering at the UN that wouldn't even involve talking with North Korea. Imagine that, the UN Ambassador focusing on what the UN can and cannot do? Right now, passing yet another toothless resolution at the UN does nothing.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 07:44:55 AM »

No, it's a rejection of more pointless yammering at the UN that wouldn't even involve talking with North Korea. Imagine that, the UN Ambassador focusing on what the UN can and cannot do? Right now, passing yet another toothless resolution at the UN does nothing.

Could you point to even the tiniest sign that "master dealmaker Trump" (roflmao) will do, or can do, anything besides starting a war or throw tantrums at China for not getting him a bottlemagicallly fixing North Korea right now.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 08:02:14 AM »
« Edited: July 31, 2017, 08:04:11 AM by Jacobin American »

Here here. Just bomb the hell out of them already and get it over with. NK is a dangerous, hostile power and each day we delay, is a step toward them one day lobbing one at a city here.

Always easy to say when you're safe behind your keyboard, confident that a war won't be coming to your doorstep. That your home won't be razed, your family and friends and neighbors slaughtered, living under constant terror that a bomb could be dropped any minute ending your life or crippling you. Keyboard warriors like you are the worst of the worst. War is hell on earth. Almost nobody escapes it without some form of PTSD - if they survive it. The people of North Korea (and South Korea) will be the ones to pay with enormous loss of life and potentially nuclear fallout. Millions of innocent people could easily perish in absolute agony. And, unsurprisingly, it'd be the second time within 70 years that the US slaughters countless North Koreans and levels their country. The only reason the lunatics running North Korea can get away with this is because they constantly invoke the memory of what America did to them in a war 60 some years ago that didn't even involve the US - yet we intervened, killed millions, and leveled their native land.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 08:29:03 AM »

Living in Seoul I am not exactly in favor of a war. NK does this crap all the time so normally I woild ignore it but with Trump I have to admit I am a bit worried.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 05:32:25 PM »

Could you point to even the tiniest sign that "master dealmaker Trump" (roflmao) will do, or can do, anything besides starting a war or throw tantrums at China for not getting him a bottlemagicallly fixing North Korea right now.

Why should we try to do anything? The U.S. doesn't have the ability to accomplish anything worthwhile on its own. If anything is to be accomplished it'll require Chinese involvement and that'll happen when Xi thinks it's in China's own interests. I share your doubts that Trump can convince Xi of that, but I don't share the belief you share with Trump that there is something we can do on our own.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 05:57:18 PM »

Why should we try to do anything? The U.S. doesn't have the ability to accomplish anything worthwhile on its own. If anything is to be accomplished it'll require Chinese involvement and that'll happen when Xi thinks it's in China's own interests. I share your doubts that Trump can convince Xi of that, but I don't share the belief you share with Trump that there is something we can do on our own.

I certainly don't mean to say that the US should act unilaterally on North Korea's nuclear programs, diplomatically or militarily.

I think that rejecting future diplomacy, or even saying our government will reject all future diplomacy, is stupid beyond words.  (And if you don't think that's what Trump's words mean, it's only because you know he's liar.)

I also think that seeing Trump - who has long been portrayed by his promoters, including himself as a master negotiator - crying that China hasn't magically fixed North Korea for him is both pathetic and a masterpiece of black comedy.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 06:19:15 PM »

Here's something that'll lighten up the mood (it'll do the exact opposite):

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/31/politics/north-korea-ejection-test-submarine-activity/index.html

So now even their sub tech is getting better.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 06:31:53 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/31/politics/north-korea-ejection-test-submarine-activity/index.html

I have to admit, that article really is terrifying:

Given Trump's track record, the only question is how bad he'll fumble it.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 06:37:12 PM »

I have to admit, that article really is terrifying:

Given Trump's track record, the only question is how bad he'll fumble it.

It shows how low the bar has gotten when "not getting into nuclear war" would be one of this administration's top achievements.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 10:03:16 PM »

So apparently our best hope is a missile defense system that apparently isn't as strong as it should be. I'm not sure I really trust his trumpness to effectively make our defense better, so this is starting to get a bit concerning.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 10:08:39 PM »

We need to attack before LA is a glass crater.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 11:43:29 PM »

Attacking is the one thing most likely to make La into a glass crater. But carry on please
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 12:25:25 AM »

If the Trump administration doesn't believe that diplomacy will work, then what exactly is it pushing for China to do? A coup?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 02:53:59 AM »

There was a UN security council resolution condemning North Korea that had the support of the other 14 members, including China, but it was Russia who vetoed. Scapegoating Russia for everything has consequences.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/19/asia/russia-un-veto-north-korea/index.html
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 03:17:48 AM »

There was a UN security council resolution condemning North Korea that had the support of the other 14 members, including China, but it was Russia who vetoed. Scapegoating Russia for everything has consequences.

At least Russia is urging serious negotiation with North Korea along with sanctions, that is more reasonable than the current "no talks until North Korea agrees to denuclearize first" administration policy, to be frank.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 06:58:38 AM »

At least Russia is urging serious negotiation with North Korea along with sanctions, that is more reasonable than the current "no talks until North Korea agrees to denuclearize first" administration policy, to be frank.

How so?  That's the only thing we really want and we know we're not going to get it.  This is all show on all parts at this point.  Pursuing North Korean talks is about as productive as pursuing a Middle East peace deal at this point.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 07:29:03 AM »

Just like how we won the Cold War, right?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies