North Korea Mega Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:57:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  North Korea Mega Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 34
Author Topic: North Korea Mega Thread  (Read 78456 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2017, 05:34:39 PM »

Don't panic.  At present this is just talk.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2017, 05:35:25 PM »

We need to let the North Koreans know that any direct attacks on civilians will result in some sort of retaliation (we kinda did already). Hopefully military bases in Guam are ready for anything.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2017, 05:38:51 PM »

Yeah, North Korea loves to talk a lot of trash. It's nothing new. I mean, that could always change, but so far I'd be more worried about American leadership getting an itchy trigger finger first.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2017, 05:39:12 PM »

This board is literally insane right now. North Korean is threatening Americans and you shameless people are still complaining about trump
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2017, 05:39:43 PM »

Gotta love how our President keeps instigating a conflict with North Korea
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2017, 05:40:02 PM »

This board is literally insane right now. North Korean is threatening Americans and you shameless people are still complaining about trump
It never ends
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2017, 05:40:17 PM »

We need to let the North Koreans know that any direct attacks on civilians will result in some sort of retaliation (we kinda did already). Hopefully military bases in Guam are ready for anything.

There are well over 100,000 civilians in Guam, American citizens. You think North Korea has the ability to tactically strike military bases but not civilian population centers over a distance of thousands of miles?
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #157 on: August 08, 2017, 05:41:42 PM »

There are well over 100,000 civilians in Guam, American citizens.
I know that. That's why I said based on Guam should be ready to retaliate if an attack happens.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #158 on: August 08, 2017, 05:41:59 PM »

What part of he made it worse do you lackeys not understand?

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #159 on: August 08, 2017, 05:43:30 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2017, 05:45:28 PM by Jacobin American »

Yes, North Korea is threatening us and they have been for how many years now? A competent President would disregard their crying wolf and approach the issue through a process of attempted conflict resolution or at least ignore them. Instead, Trump has escalated the situation by engaging them in their absurd and childish antics. Now they've escalated their threats to threats of pre-emptive strikes on American territory. That's what people on this board are complaining about in regards to Trump.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #160 on: August 08, 2017, 05:45:02 PM »

They're threatening Americans because of Trump...
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #161 on: August 08, 2017, 05:46:40 PM »

Yes, North Korea is threatening us and they have been for how many years now? A competent President would disregard their crying wolf and approach the issue through a process of attempted conflict resolution. Instead, Trump has escalated the situation by engaging them in their absurd and childish antics. Now they've escalated their threats to threats of pre-emptive strikes on American territory. That's what people on this board are complaining about in regards to Trump.
These strike threats are nothing new. 2013 was one of the worst that I remember.

Trump just essentially fought fire with fire by telling them to stop the threats.

This will most likely go away as usual
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #162 on: August 08, 2017, 05:47:54 PM »

Holy crap I am out of here for the time being. Just shut up you partisan hack. For 2 years we have sat by and let NK develop dangerous weapons and when they start threatening us it's because of trump?

This hours simply can't function as a news source when it is populated by people who are party hacks
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #163 on: August 08, 2017, 05:48:56 PM »

Holy crap I am out of here for the time being. Just shut up you partisan hack. For 2 years we have sat by and let NK develop dangerous weapons and when they start threatening us it's because of trump?

This hours simply can't function as a news source when it is populated by people who are party hacks

Enough of your utter trash marty, we're sick of it. There are better ways to handle this crises than to threaten an unstable regime and you know it.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #164 on: August 08, 2017, 05:49:06 PM »

Whether or not it goes away is not the point. The point is that the President of the United States should be the rational one and not play tit for tat with threats.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #165 on: August 08, 2017, 05:49:18 PM »

I'd rather we'd get rid of their nuclear weapons now before they actually launch them. It's just a matter of time at this point. Trump just sped it up, probably, I agree with his statement but it wasn't anything new. People are just overreacting as always. We can't let them launch a strike no matter what, and if they do I don't really care what happens to everybody in the country. We should've gotten rid of the reds in the 1950's but we didn't and we are living with the consequences. Pray to God, that the scourge of communism will disperse from this planet soon.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #166 on: August 08, 2017, 05:49:22 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No.

He basically said he will bomb the **** of them if they continue to make threats.

It is an utterly foolish statement because the US will not see it through.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #167 on: August 08, 2017, 05:50:18 PM »

No you dummy. Trump threatened North Korea with a nuclear attack so North Korea threatened Guam.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #168 on: August 08, 2017, 05:51:33 PM »

From 2013:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/04/12/world/asia/north-korea-questions.html

These threats of pre-emptive strikes happened under Obama as well. Nothing new.
AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #169 on: August 08, 2017, 05:52:25 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2017, 05:56:13 PM by AN63093 »

Given that the last three US administrations have all taken rather hard-line approaches toward North Korea, I've been wondering: if another candidate (Hillary, Sanders, Cruz, Kasich, Rubio, Carson, or Jeb) had won in 2016, would that person have taken an approach any different from Trump's current approach, and would the outcome have been any different?

Probably not.  I don't know that the phrase "fire and fury" would be used, and whoever was president would be less schizophrenic in the tweeting, but the basic geo-political picture would be about the same.

There are some long posts of mine in a back-and-forth with Beet on pg 4/5 in this thread, but we'd almost certainly be in the same position as we are today.  Kim's desire to accelerate the ICBM program pre-date the current administration and have little to do with who is in the White House.  Our response, likewise, has little to do with Trump, but rather, before this current round of increased tensions, our national interest was in mostly keeping the status quo while maintaining a forward presence in SK (this is actually preferred to re-unified Korea, and in fact, it was in every party's interest to maintain the status quo, I go into more detail why that was, on page 4 I think).

Since the tensions have gone up, however, and NK steps closer and closer to having a real delivery mechanism, our red-line has been somewhat vague, and our response as well, and that is because there isn't concensus right now among foreign policy analysts as to what it should be.  I posted a good article from the Atlantic on the main forum (in the "what happened if we bomb NK" thread), and it goes into all the current options.  There have been a lot of articles over the past few months on this same issue from the usual suspects (Foreign Policy, Foreign Affairs, etc.).  There are lots of options, from airstrikes, to surgical SOF operations in a 'decapitation' strike, to going all-out deploying BCTs full invasion style.  

To what degree we let NK continue in their ICBM development before launching a pre-emptive strike, and then what that strike consists of, are two things that do not have real consensus yet.

Of all the other candidates listed, I don't think we'd be in much a different place, except maybe with Sanders and Paul.  Consider that of all the candidates, Trump was arguably the least "interventionist."  Some of the other approaches Beet was suggesting on the previous pages in our debate (withdrawing our position in SK, ending exercises, offering security guarantees, treaties, etc), regardless if we think they are a good idea or not, I don't see any other candidate really doing them, since there'd be simply too much push back from the national security circles who consider those options unacceptable.  Maybe Paul would push the most, I dunno.

The tweeting probably wouldn't have happened, that may be true, but I don't put a whole lot into those tweets, to be honest.  McMaster, Mattis and Dunford are going to be primarily responsible for crafting the strategy and they'll be the most relevant people in Trump's ear in regards to this.  Especially since, before elected, I'm not sure Trump had much of an opinion about what to do with NK (other than perhaps, believing them getting an ICBM is not a good idea), and he almost certainly didn't have that sophisticated of a military course of action thought up in his mind, just because he doesn't have a background in national security.  But that's what McMaster, Mattis, and Dunford are for.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #170 on: August 08, 2017, 05:52:53 PM »

I'd rather we'd get rid of their nuclear weapons now before they actually launch them. It's just a matter of time at this point. Trump just sped it up, probably, I agree with his statement but it wasn't anything new. People are just overreacting as always. We can't let them launch a strike no matter what, and if they do I don't really care what happens to everybody in the country. We should've gotten rid of the reds in the 1950's but we didn't and we are living with the consequences. Pray to God, that the scourge of communism will disperse from this planet soon.

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #171 on: August 08, 2017, 05:52:57 PM »

From 2013:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/04/12/world/asia/north-korea-questions.html

We know that.

So why the hell is Trump engaging them now?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #172 on: August 08, 2017, 05:53:19 PM »

From 2013:

Except that Obama was, whatever his other faults, sane.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #173 on: August 08, 2017, 05:54:44 PM »

An intelligence estimate says that North Korea could have "up to 60" nuclear warheads. To me that says they don't even know for sure how many nukes North Korea has. So how could they all be taken out? And how do we know one won't get "lost" and be sold on the black market if the regime is collapsing?

The point is, this is an extremely dangerous situation and shouldn't be handled by emotions. As the more powerful party, we need to be the adults, and decisively deescalate the situation while strengthening our deterrent capabilities. Limiting military exercises would do a great deal to deescalate while costing nothing in terms of capabilities.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #174 on: August 08, 2017, 05:54:50 PM »

From 2013:

We know that.

So why the hell is Trump engaging them now?

Trump's Razor: because he's a petty fool who is barely qualified to play President of the United States in a SyFy made-for-tv movie.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies